85 to 92 Corvette Question

Old May 10th 05, 01:35 AM

Default 85 to 92 Corvette Question

I haven't owned a Corvette in almost 30 years (my last one was a '71
big block) so I am out of touch with the major changes. I am thinking
of trying to recapture my lost youth by getting a used 'vette
convertible. The 1985 to 1992 models seem to be in the price range I
am looking for, but all the ones I find on the web for sale are
automatic. Didn't they offer manual transmissions during those years?

Old May 10th 05, 10:24 PM
Michael Squires

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>I haven't owned a Corvette in almost 30 years (my last one was a '71
>big block) so I am out of touch with the major changes. I am thinking
>of trying to recapture my lost youth by getting a used 'vette
>convertible. The 1985 to 1992 models seem to be in the price range I
>am looking for, but all the ones I find on the web for sale are
>automatic. Didn't they offer manual transmissions during those years?

The 6-speed ZF trans was available after 89, I think (I owned an 89 and still
own a 90) but when I went looking for my new Corvette in 1989 I coulnd't find
what I wanted (ZF 60-speed, Z51, etc) anywhere in my area.

The problem areas I've experienced are

(1) alternators failing at about 40,000 miles on both cars
(2) hydraulic clutch failure on the 89, wrecking the ZF (really happy that
was a warranty repair
(3) leak in the head gasket at the rear on the passenger side
(4) clutch replacement at 55,000 miles on the '90; they never did figure out
what car the clutch Mid-America shipped me was intended for, it certainly
wasn't a 1990 early production Z51
(5) failure of the Bose CD/tape system (it's cheaper to have it repaired than
replaced, but I have no idea about the reliability; the original system
was only OK when new)
(6) failure of both control modules (the one controlling the cash plus the
special one for the temperature-controlled AC system

By modern standards the C4 is not very powerful, but the handling (of my Z51)
is excellent.

Mike Squires
1990 Z51 black/black
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
Old May 12th 05, 10:34 PM
Bababooey

What is the price range you are trying to stay within?

Old May 15th 05, 05:49 PM

If you are staying within the 1985-1992 range you might consider the
Opti situation in the 1992.

Old May 21st 05, 04:34 AM
Bababooey

> Jabezwrote:
If you are staying within the 1985-1992 range you might consider the
> Opti situation in the 1992.

What is the OPTI situation in the 1992?

Old May 21st 05, 05:12 AM
john smith

92 through 96 Corvettes have the Opti Spark or as I call it the Opti
Suck distributorless ignition. Nope, it is not distributorless as it
has a cap and rotor. Basically, your water pump goes out and the Opti
Spark goes out a few months later. Later versions of the distributor
have vacuum lines added in an attempt to keep water out of the optical
trigger that sits under the rotor. But, there is a company that offers
a change to http://www.delteq.com/opti_pricing.htm

With this kit there are no more Opti Suck problems.

Old May 22nd 05, 05:39 PM
GeorgeC

Hey John, not 100% the case. I just went thru optispark hell a year ago on
my 92. I wished many times in there that I had a 91 instead. My opti failure
was where coolant got into the unit and took out the low-res optical sensor.
Engine won't run without that, and the delteq uses the opti's optical
sensors to make it spark. Otherwise, yeah, great idea. So I still can't
really clean the engine like I'd prefer to.

But for the original poster, consider that distributor as a weak point in
the design, right up there with the lower front shock mounts. Early (84)
lower control arm had threaded mounting holes, change shock in 15 minutes,
later (92) nut under control arm (basically same shock) so now tire has to
be removed to replace shock.

I miss my 84, but the 92 sure is fun when it isn't running hot.

(has the traditional pre-summer thread about engine temps begun yet?)

But no matter what, they sure do beat anything else on the road for
appearance. And still...my 92 gets comments from people at gas statioons,
supermarket lots, etc.

-GeorgeC
92 Red/Red LT-1