Transmission Problem? 1999 Jetta VR6

Old February 11th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Transmission Problem? 1999 Jetta VR6

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is going on here. The
transmission is fairly "jerky" when shifting in normal city driving. After
I've been driving on the highway (65+ mph) for 30 or more miles the jerking
is really bad. That is, once I get off the highway and onto city streets
again, the jerking is really bad. It started doing this a little while
after I bought it (about 2.5 yrs. ago) and then my transmission exploded
about a year later. After the new transmission was put in, the jerking
continues. I told the VW dealer to check it and he said he didn't notice
anything (go figure). I can't imagine any car's transmission is supposed to
be this way, so does anyone know what the problem is?

Old February 12th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Which trans fluid is being used?
I will ASSuME that this is an automatic.
I have read that the VW authorized synthetic helps keep the shifting
smoother.

Of course it may not shift "softly" like a plush american car. ;-)
A lot of VW auto trans usually let you feel the shifts, at least the ones
that I have driven.

Try to test drive another 99 Jetta VR6 to compare.

If you find that an identical Jetta shifts "better" then maybe something can
be done with the electronics (ECM or TCM) to modify yours a little.

--
later,
dave

. ..

Old February 14th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Get the transmission computer cleared, if you have 60-90K Kms on the
transmission it might be time for a fluid flush depending on the driving you
do.

I could always feel the transmission shifting after getting off the highway
with my 1999 TDI (4-spd auto)... the VW 5-spds are much better automatics.

Old February 14th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

How much would something like that cost?

Old February 15th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

To clear the computer, probably 1/2 hour labour (maybe an hour... never
know).

Tranmission fluid is something in the neighbourhood of $20-35 per litre
depending on what their markup is, and it needs 10 litres... plus labour
(they have to drain it, clean the pan etc...) it was around $400 to have my
TDI's transmission fully serviced at 85K Kms, and very much worth it...
shifted smoother, and provided me with no problems till I sold the car at
155K Kms. (the mechanic took my car as a trade, he said if you don't do
fluid change on the VW 4-speeds they tend to not hold up as well as they
should, considering they use synthetic "lifetime" fluid - since I had it
done he bought my car, he said he doesn't touch auto-VWs unless they've had
tranny flushes).

Old February 16th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I went through a similar situation with my 1991 passat, however
mine did not expire.

I opened the pan and discovered the fluid was filthy and the filter
almost black with an accumulation of sludge.

I removed the valve body and washed out each of the ports the solenoids
were installed in, replaced the fluid and installed a new filter.

It has been working fine ever since.

Patrick Bennington wrote:
> How much would something like that cost?
>

> "Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
>
>>Get the transmission computer cleared, if you have 60-90K Kms on the
>>transmission it might be time for a fluid flush depending on the driving
>>you do.
>>
>>I could always feel the transmission shifting after getting off the
>>highway with my 1999 TDI (4-spd auto)... the VW 5-spds are much better
>>automatics.
t...