VAG-COM assistance

Old February 4th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default VAG-COM assistance

assistance required please.

3rd party OBD II cable and the freeware Ross-Tech software.

Software is loaded on Dell notebook with Serial COM1 active.

Connect lead to comp then plug OBD into connector port, then turn ignition
on. All as per the manual.

Options, Setting the COM port...........all I get is COM not found.

COM 1 is working as I run other hardware from it.

Tried with ignition on and engine not running and with engine running. Tried
searching for COM 2,3 and 4 (I know it is 1 tho) but no luck.

Changed COM 1 baud rates from 9600 to 4800 to 2400 to 1200 to 600 to 300 and
still no go.

any sugs

ta
dj

Old February 4th 06, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 11:56:33 +0000 (UTC), "A New Day"

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/vag.html
Old February 4th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

You must enable Com4 in BIOS, and then select it in VAG-COM setup. My
computer would not function with VAG-COM on Com1. After sucessfully
enabling, you should see Com4 in System Properties dialog.
JR

Old February 4th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"JR North" > wrote in message
> You must enable Com4 in BIOS, and then select it in VAG-COM setup. My
> computer would not function with VAG-COM on Com1. After sucessfully
> enabling, you should see Com4 in System Properties dialog.
> JR
>
> A New Day wrote:
>
>> assistance required please.
>>
>> 3rd party OBD II cable and the freeware Ross-Tech software.
>>
>> Software is loaded on Dell notebook with Serial COM1 active.
>>
>> Connect lead to comp then plug OBD into connector port, then turn
>> ignition on. All as per the manual.
>>
>> Options, Setting the COM port...........all I get is COM not found.
>>
>> COM 1 is working as I run other hardware from it.
>>
>> Tried with ignition on and engine not running and with engine running.
>> Tried searching for COM 2,3 and 4 (I know it is 1 tho) but no luck.
>>
>> Changed COM 1 baud rates from 9600 to 4800 to 2400 to 1200 to 600 to 300
>> and still no go.
>>
>> any sugs
>>
>> ta
>> dj

> Home Page: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

thanks both will give the COM 4 a try tomorrow.

Old February 5th 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"JR North" > wrote in message
> You must enable Com4 in BIOS, and then select it in VAG-COM setup. My
> computer would not function with VAG-COM on Com1. After sucessfully
> enabling, you should see Com4 in System Properties dialog.
> JR
>
> A New Day wrote:
>
>> assistance required please.
>>
>> 3rd party OBD II cable and the freeware Ross-Tech software.
>>
>> Software is loaded on Dell notebook with Serial COM1 active.
>>
>> Connect lead to comp then plug OBD into connector port, then turn
>> ignition on. All as per the manual.
>>
>> Options, Setting the COM port...........all I get is COM not found.
>>
>> COM 1 is working as I run other hardware from it.
>>
>> Tried with ignition on and engine not running and with engine running.
>> Tried searching for COM 2,3 and 4 (I know it is 1 tho) but no luck.
>>
>> Changed COM 1 baud rates from 9600 to 4800 to 2400 to 1200 to 600 to 300
>> and still no go.
>>
>> any sugs
>>
>> ta
>> dj

> Home Page: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

thanks for the pointer got it running on COM 4 and reading codes.

sods law the only one I wanted to reset, the inspection warning, and the
software has to be registered...........$99

ah well will just have to keep looking at it first thing at start up.

thanks
dj

Old February 21st 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Well the main thing is that you got the tool to work.
Next is registering that "freeware" software so it will allow you to use it.
It will be easily worth that $99. ;-)
I believe that that software will not be updated anymore and if you buy the
newest Audi/VW you might have to purchase that dongle from Ross-Tech.
--
later,
dave