A6 V6-12V 97' - Rattle from front end of engine resolved..

Old December 4th 05, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default A6 V6-12V 97' - Rattle from front end of engine resolved..

Hello

Just to put out some information to people that are hearing lots of rattle
at start-up of the V6-12V engine..

After listening to the bad sounds for too long I finally got to do the
work.. I dismounted the serpentine belt first to rule out the involved
parts there.. However there was no change to the bad sounds..

I therefore dismounted the covers for the timing belt and found the
cause.. A slack timer-belt... adjusting the timing belt tensioner made the
horrible sounds disappear..

I can't blame any other than myself, as I changed the timing belt this
spring.. Seems like the bolt-tension/ friction barely overcome the forces
from the running timing belt.. It even got loose again just after having
put on the covers again, so I had to redo the work..

A sunshine story in mid winter.. :-)

--

Regards

Ottar T
Old December 5th 05, 12:07 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Ottar T" > wrote in message
newsp.s09zqhzxbvwgqy@abit-i-stuen...
> Hello
>
> Just to put out some information to people that are hearing lots of rattle
> at start-up of the V6-12V engine..
>
> After listening to the bad sounds for too long I finally got to do the
> work.. I dismounted the serpentine belt first to rule out the involved
> parts there.. However there was no change to the bad sounds..
>
> I therefore dismounted the covers for the timing belt and found the
> cause.. A slack timer-belt... adjusting the timing belt tensioner made the
> horrible sounds disappear..
>
> I can't blame any other than myself, as I changed the timing belt this
> spring.. Seems like the bolt-tension/ friction barely overcome the forces
> from the running timing belt.. It even got loose again just after having
> put on the covers again, so I had to redo the work..
>
> A sunshine story in mid winter.. :-)
>

> --
>
> Regards
>
> Ottar T

Maybe when you changed the timing belt, you didn't change the tensioners?

Always worth doing....

Old December 5th 05, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

På Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:07:04 +0100, skrev Ronny >:

> "Ottar T" > wrote in message
> newsp.s09zqhzxbvwgqy@abit-i-stuen...
>> Hello
>>
>> Just to put out some information to people that are hearing lots of
>> rattle
>> at start-up of the V6-12V engine..
>>
>> After listening to the bad sounds for too long I finally got to do the
>> work.. I dismounted the serpentine belt first to rule out the involved
>> parts there.. However there was no change to the bad sounds..
>>
>> I therefore dismounted the covers for the timing belt and found the
>> cause.. A slack timer-belt... adjusting the timing belt tensioner made
>> the
>> horrible sounds disappear..
>>
>> I can't blame any other than myself, as I changed the timing belt this
>> spring.. Seems like the bolt-tension/ friction barely overcome the
>> forces
>> from the running timing belt.. It even got loose again just after having
>> put on the covers again, so I had to redo the work..
>>
>> A sunshine story in mid winter.. :-)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ottar T

> Maybe when you changed the timing belt, you didn't change the tensioners?
>
> Always worth doing....

Changed tensioner, timing belt roller, water pump and thermostat.. So all
were done by the book..
However I got a bit confused about if the tensioner should be rotated
clockwise or anti clockwise to tension the belt..
There seem to be a difference between the 12V and the 24V as the later
have an extra spring loaded tensioner system..

This time I chose to rotate the tensioner clockwise..

--
regards
Ottar T