Oil change on 1996 Audi A6 - V6 2.6 litre engine (UK)

Old December 5th 05, 08:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Oil change on 1996 Audi A6 - V6 2.6 litre engine (UK)

Ronny wrote:
> "Richard Goulding" > wrote in message
> >
> > "R@L" > wrote in message
> > l...
> >>
> >> "Mark" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> There's only one you need to use. The one in the oil pan.
> >> Use synthetic oil and change the filter too. Both will last for 30.000
> >> Km.
> >> The other one is the gearbox and needs no new oil.
> >> Those are factory advises which I think are just fine. On my 2.6 this has
> >> worked well for over 10 years now.
> >> Many people in this group however change oil weekly or so it seems.

> > I am running my A4 2.8 on a similar regime. 19,000 mile oil changes with
> > longlife oil. It has been run like this from new and I am at 94,000miles.
> > have always been a concerned about it and have worried about engine life
> > servicing this way. Can you elaborate a little the oil you use and mileage
> > etc.
> >
> > Sorry for going a little off topic to the OP but I am interested in
> > peoples
> > long term experience of extended oil drain intervals.
> >
> > Thanks Richard
> >

> It maybe a 2.6 12v or a 2.8 12v or 30v, they are all pretty much bullet
> proof engines, best oil to use is the VAG long life stuff, Castrol SLX is
> the brand name, look for the VAG markings.
>
> I had a 2.6 12v and sold it a year ago with 170k miles on the clock, and it
> was still going perfect.
>
> It's horses for courses, the Americans change their oil every 2k miles or so
> it seems, and we in the UK change it when the handbook tells us, or the car
> itself lets us know.
>
> I change mine, approx every 10k miles, or 20k depends on my mood, If I use
> cheap oil etc.
>
> Castrol SLX for long life, Mobil 1, Syntec etc if you change every 10k
>
> Remember though, long life is really only beneficial if you do mostly
> motorway miles, if you potter round town, lots of stop starts, then use a
> good quality cheaper oil and change it more often.

Pottering around town is basically all the missus does with this car.
It probably hasn't covered more than 1500 miles in the fourteen months
we've had it!

Old December 5th 05, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

R@L - You mean you only change your oil and filter every 30,000
kilometers?? Wow, that's a long time....

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old December 5th 05, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Dano58" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> R@L - You mean you only change your oil and filter every 30,000
> kilometers?? Wow, that's a long time....
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

I'm not R@l

But yeah, we don't change oil in the UK like you guys do.

Old December 5th 05, 11:15 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Dano58" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> R@L - You mean you only change your oil and filter every 30,000
> kilometers?? Wow, that's a long time....
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

Oh and it's not every 30k kilometers, it's miles, that's even further

Old December 6th 05, 01:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

That's interesting - is that the Audi recommendation in the UK?

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old December 6th 05, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Dano58" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> That's interesting - is that the Audi recommendation in the UK?
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

Nah, it's the audi standard for AVS servicing, it works out how many miles
and how worn the oil is, speed etc, then caculates when the service is due,
this can equate to 20-30k miles

Old December 6th 05, 05:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Mark" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Ronny wrote:
>> "Richard Goulding" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "R@L" > wrote in message
>> > l...

>> > I am running my A4 2.8 on a similar regime. 19,000 mile oil changes
>> > with
>> > longlife oil. It has been run like this from new and I am at
>> > 94,000miles.
>> > have always been a concerned about it and have worried about engine
>> > life
>> > servicing this way. Can you elaborate a little the oil you use and
>> > mileage
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > Sorry for going a little off topic to the OP but I am interested in
>> > peoples
>> > long term experience of extended oil drain intervals.
>> >
>> > Thanks Richard
>> >

>> It maybe a 2.6 12v or a 2.8 12v or 30v, they are all pretty much bullet
>> proof engines, best oil to use is the VAG long life stuff, Castrol SLX is
>> the brand name, look for the VAG markings.
>>
>> I had a 2.6 12v and sold it a year ago with 170k miles on the clock, and
>> it
>> was still going perfect.
>>
>> It's horses for courses, the Americans change their oil every 2k miles or
>> so
>> it seems, and we in the UK change it when the handbook tells us, or the
>> car
>> itself lets us know.
>>
>> I change mine, approx every 10k miles, or 20k depends on my mood, If I
>> use
>> cheap oil etc.
>>
>> Castrol SLX for long life, Mobil 1, Syntec etc if you change every 10k
>>
>> Remember though, long life is really only beneficial if you do mostly
>> motorway miles, if you potter round town, lots of stop starts, then use a
>> good quality cheaper oil and change it more often.

> Pottering around town is basically all the missus does with this car.
> It probably hasn't covered more than 1500 miles in the fourteen months
> we've had it!

Quote "Pottering around town is basically all the missus does with this car"
a waste of a good V6! give her a 1.8 :-)

Steve.

Old December 7th 05, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

And what does 'AVS' stand for?

Thx...

Dan DiBiase
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old December 7th 05, 08:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Dano58" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> And what does 'AVS' stand for?
>
> Thx...
>
> Dan DiBiase
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

Pasted from Audi.co.uk

VSAudi Variable Servicing - AVS

It is now over twelve months since Audi introduced its revolutionary Audi
Variable Servicing (AVS) programme to the market.

As a follow-up to this industry first, we thought we would review and
highlight some key milestones.

· AVS is not an extended service programme, unlike some of our
competitors, both oil technology and engine technologies have been
re-engineered to deliver genuine savings and environmental benefits.

· Provided correct AVS oil is utilised then driving characteristics
typical journey cycles, will impact on vehicle downtime, service costs, fuel
savings, environmental emissions and waste oil/filter disposals, AVS
produces clear savings in these areas.

· AVS offers customer choice as a customer can choose either the
Fixed Service Intervals or AVS option (although we cannot think of any good
reason to stay on Fixed Service Intervals, even under shorter urban cycles).

Service intervals are based on the following criteria:

Minimum interval
9000 miles irrespective of time

Petrol engines maximum 19000 miles or two years

Diesel 4 cylinder TDI maximum 30000 miles or two years

Diesel 6 cylinder TDI maximum
22000 miles or two years

Audi has carried out internal survey of all vehicles used by its staff both
field based and head office. The summary results of wave one 2000 are shown
below, together with further corporate industry, end user independent
results and customer comments.

Audi Variable Service
Audi UK Staff Fleet Survey (wave 1/2000)

Total Audi Vehicles surveyed (all models): 101

Average Oil consumption (all models)
0.87 Litres

Best mileage to next service due indicated
30,000 miles

Lowest mileage to next service due indicated
13,800 miles

Petrol
Diesel

Average mileage to next service due indicated
18,508 miles
22,605 miles

Star performers by model
Audi A3/S3 mileage to next service due indicated 19,500
miles

Audi A4 1.8SE mileage to next service due indicated 19,000 miles
Audi A6 1.9SE TDI mileage to next service due indicated 30,000 miles

Audi A8 4.2/S8 mileage to next service due indicated 18,500 miles

Predicted saving against fixed service
Audi A4 1.8SE Fixed 0 - 60k £808.85

Audi A4 1.8SE AVS 0 - 60k £634.46

Total Saving
£174.39

Audi A6 1.9TDI Fixed 0 - 60k
£907.95

Audi A6 1.9TDI AVS 0 - 60k
£466.64
Total Saving
£441.31

Predicted Number of service visit/downtime reduction
Audi A4 1.8SE AVS 0 - 60k -3 Services

Audi A6 1.9SE TDI AVS 0 - 60k -4
Services

Predicted number of waste oil filters and waste oil reduction
Audi A4 1.8SE AVS 0 - 60k 3 Filters &
10.5 litres of waste oil

Audi A6 1.9SE TDI AVS 0 - 60k 4 Filters & 14.0
litres of waste oil

Based on Retail Labour Rate @
£47.50/Litre

AVS Oil (Recommended Retail Price) @ £9.70/Litre

Fixed Services Multigrade Oil @ £5.50/Litre

Customers Delighted with AVS Performance

As the Audi Variable Servicing programme comes to the end of its first year,
customers are beginning to relay back some of the stunning results that the
revolutionary system has provided.

AUDI CORPORATE SALES

WHERE BUSINESS IS GOING

01908 601977

Michelin Tyres have taken up the AVS programme on the Audis on their fleet
of over 300 cars, run through PHH Vehicle Management, and have seen some
remarkable results. Mr John Wadeson of Michelin has been delighted with the
AVS programme so far. An example of its success is one of Michelin's Audi A4
TDI (90bhp) which came in for its first service at 25,600 miles at HR Owen
Audi, London.

Old December 8th 05, 08:02 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Steve68s (remove) wrote:
> "Mark" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > Ronny wrote:

> >> It maybe a 2.6 12v or a 2.8 12v or 30v, they are all pretty much bullet
> >> proof engines, best oil to use is the VAG long life stuff, Castrol SLX is
> >> the brand name, look for the VAG markings.
> >>
> >> I had a 2.6 12v and sold it a year ago with 170k miles on the clock, and
> >> it
> >> was still going perfect.
> >>
> >> It's horses for courses, the Americans change their oil every 2k miles or
> >> so
> >> it seems, and we in the UK change it when the handbook tells us, or the
> >> car
> >> itself lets us know.
> >>
> >> I change mine, approx every 10k miles, or 20k depends on my mood, If I
> >> use
> >> cheap oil etc.
> >>
> >> Castrol SLX for long life, Mobil 1, Syntec etc if you change every 10k
> >>
> >> Remember though, long life is really only beneficial if you do mostly
> >> motorway miles, if you potter round town, lots of stop starts, then use a
> >> good quality cheaper oil and change it more often.

> > Pottering around town is basically all the missus does with this car.
> > It probably hasn't covered more than 1500 miles in the fourteen months
> > we've had it!
> >

> Quote "Pottering around town is basically all the missus does with this car"
> a waste of a good V6! give her a 1.8 :-)

I suppose it is a bit of a waste, but it's done its miles (almost 200K)
and needs a rest.
Thankfully she loves the car. The nagging has ended!