a6

Old December 1st 05, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default a6

"Jone Tytlandsvik" <jone> wrote in message
> Peter Bell wrote:
>> I was certainly able to do this on my A4 (B5), but as far as I can
>> tell, the cabling just wasn't present on my old A6 (my2000) and isn't
>> on my current RS6 or wife's A2.

> Why would anyone want to do that?
> If you drive behind a car with two foglights (japanese cars used to have
> two) you will notice that your side vision does not respond as good as
> usual to the brake light. You will have to focus your eyes on the car in
> front all the time to notice when the brake lights come on. If there was
> only one fog light, or even better; no foglight, you would notice the
> brake light even if you looked to the side as you sometimes have to do in
> traffic. Wrong use og foglights has probably caused more accidents than
> correct use has prevented.
>
> Jone T.

Define correct use?

UK cars have always had 2 x rear fog lights, it's only recently we have seen
cars come with oinly 1 foglight, so we are used to having 2, and why are
most cars still pre-wired for 2.

If you think the use of no fog lights would allow you too see the brake
lights better then you need to re-take your test.

Foglights are there to allow you to see a car further ahead, when the brake
light is on it would normally be too late, especially in fog.

Old December 1st 05, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

thanxs for all your eplies they have been a great help i never meant to
cause an arguement over fog lights though ;o) i do have another question
though the oil indicator on the dashboard goes all the way over to the red
mark i think it on 180 degrees or something is this correct
thanxs stef
"Stef" > wrote in message
> just got an audi a6 its my first audi and i wish i had got one long ago

but
> can anyone answer a couple of questions please..
> there are 2 rear fog light lenses either side of the number plate but only
> one light comes on is this correct the garage tell me it is.
> what is the asr how and when should it be used..
> its the 2.5 tdi v6 1999 how often should i change the oil and get a

service

Old December 1st 05, 10:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

In the states correct use of foglights I believe occurs when visibility is
less than 100 ft. Common sense would dictate their use when you can's
clearly see the car in front at a reasonable distance

Old December 2nd 05, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

You mean oil temperature? There is definitely something wrong if yours is
showing 180 degrees celsius. My temperature meter starts from 60 degrees,
and normal is somewhere around 80 degrees when engine is warm, if I remember
correct. Could the oil temperature sensor be faulty? I don't know where it
gets the reading .

Regards, Sami

Old December 2nd 05, 08:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Sami,
I believe that the normal oil temperature should be over 100 degrees to burn
off condensation and the like. 80C sounds more like coolant than oil temp.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old December 2nd 05, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Steve Sears" wrote
> I believe that the normal oil temperature should be over 100 degrees to
> burn off condensation and the like. 80C sounds more like coolant than oil
> temp.

It doesn't take 100 deg. C for water to start evaporating. I mean, leave a
glass of water in a room temperature, and it'll eventually evaporate, too.

FYI, the oil in my 1.8T engine (A4) always ran at about 80-85 deg. C. I had
the used oil analyzed many times, and it never indicated that water was
present. I kept asking my dealer and AoA about this temp, and they always
said that this temp falls well in what they consider "normal" operating
range.

Regards,

Pete

Old December 3rd 05, 12:11 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

120 C is the normal temp for oil in a fully warmed up engine while being
driven on the highway at 2000-3000 rpm (most vehicles). This corresponds to
about 250 F. It should *definitely* be well above 100C (212F)!

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:48:16 -0500, "Steve Sears"

--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old December 3rd 05, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:24:12 -0500, "Pete" > wrote:

> "Steve Sears" wrote
> > I believe that the normal oil temperature should be over 100 degrees to
> > burn off condensation and the like. 80C sounds more like coolant than oil
> > temp.

> It doesn't take 100 deg. C for water to start evaporating. I mean, leave a
> glass of water in a room temperature, and it'll eventually evaporate, too.
>
> FYI, the oil in my 1.8T engine (A4) always ran at about 80-85 deg. C. I had
> the used oil analyzed many times, and it never indicated that water was
> present. I kept asking my dealer and AoA about this temp, and they always
> said that this temp falls well in what they consider "normal" operating
> range.

I don't think so! This is the normal temp range for coolant, not oil. Oil
should be significanbtly hotter than your coolant, in ANY 4-cycle gas
engine. Diesels -- perhaps a bit cooler than gas, but not below the coolant
temp.

Old December 3rd 05, 12:20 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Jay Somerset" wrote
> 120 C is the normal temp for oil in a fully warmed up engine while being
> driven on the highway at 2000-3000 rpm (most vehicles).

Can you please provide a reputable source for this information?

Thanks,

Pete

Old December 5th 05, 09:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

A w e s o m e !

--
Sara4974