Bad Drivers

Old July 12th 05, 12:38 AM
Dave LaCourse

Default Bad Drivers

While I am home safely from a 724 mile trip to a wedding south of
Roanoke, Virginia, I remained amazed at the terrible driving habits of
people from Virginia and Connecticut.

We drove the RS6 down on Thursday with Biblical rain storms all the
way. Cow ****in' on a flat rock? Try the entire herd! Traffic was
light, so things went fairly well. But, coming home on
Sunday.........

It was impossible to move most Virginia drivers from the fast lane. A
hand-held nuclear device would not have helped. One woman in a Saturn
insisted on staying in the fast lane while driving 62 mph. She had
traffic backed up for 200 yards in both lanes. I finally managed to
pass her (after about ten other cars/semis did) on the right side.
I'm sure she felt that she was not breaking any laws, but by not
staying to the right, she was.

She wasn't the only one. It was like a swarm of left lane bandits
came out of the Virginia hills and took up station in the left lane
driving below the speed limit. When a trailer truck passes you going
up hill, you have *got* to see the error of your ways. But no, not
those Virginia drivers. Lane discipline means nothing to them. And
where the hell are the cops? These drivers are holding up traffic.
The worst place you want to be while driving is in a large pod of
moving cars/trucks. Get the hell out of the way and let the traffic
find its rhythm. The left lane hogs are far more dangerous by holding
up traffic than someone speeding 10 or 15 mpy over the speed limit.

And Connecticut! Same thing, only bigger yuppie style cars, and you
have to contend with left lane exits. Who is the brilliant traffic
engineer to dreamed that one up?

Anyway, rant mode off. Flame suit on.

Dave
RS6

Old July 12th 05, 12:55 AM

Dave LaCourse wrote:

[snip sad tale of common occurance]

> Anyway, rant mode off. Flame suit on.

No flames here, Dave. Go to rec.autos.driving - this is the biggest
issue for folks over there. LLBs and folks oblivious to their
surroundings are a blight on our roadways.

Over there, the term used for the Saturn occupant (not to call her a
driver in any sense) is MFFY - me first, fsck you.

I get it driving here in WA as well - the I-5 corridor is filled with
folks who cannot grasp the state law saying "keep right except to
pass." (KRETP). Oh, and those brain-dead "enablers" - the folks that
will let anyone zoom up and cut into line, or wave at you at an
intersection where they legally have the right of way, but feel the
need to show "courtesy."

Yes, r.a.d. is the place where we talk about this...

E.P.

Old July 12th 05, 07:27 AM
Guy King

The message >
from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:

> I finally managed to
> pass her (after about ten other cars/semis did) on the right side.

I thought you were allowed to pass on either side in the US?

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 12th 05, 12:36 PM
KLS

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:27:37 +0100, Guy King >
wrote:

>The message >
>from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:
>
>> I finally managed to
>> pass her (after about ten other cars/semis did) on the right side.

>I thought you were allowed to pass on either side in the US?

No, you're supposed to pass on the left only.
Old July 12th 05, 01:28 PM
Guy King

The message >
from KLS > contains these words:

> >I thought you were allowed to pass on either side in the US?

> No, you're supposed to pass on the left only.

Ah. There goes another myth!

Old July 12th 05, 04:05 PM
Archangel

As I remember, it your "allowed" to pass on the right on a divided road. (In
MA laws)
Now in VT your able to pass on a double yellow as long as there isn't a sign
saying that you can't.

--
Do not go where the path may lead...
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Old July 12th 05, 04:45 PM
Steve Sears

Dave,
Sorry to say I had to stifle a chuckle when I thought of you holding back
the reins of the RS6, surrounded by dozy drivers....talk about frusternation
(in Virginia-speak). Sorry to hear about it.....no really.....I am.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - people don't get out of the way for me, either, and I'm in
Ontario!
1980 Audi 5k - people don't need to get out of the way
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - can't get out of it's own way.
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old July 12th 05, 05:58 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:28:39 +0100, Guy King >
wrote:

>The message >
>from KLS > contains these words:
>
>> >I thought you were allowed to pass on either side in the US?

>> No, you're supposed to pass on the left only.

>Ah. There goes another myth!

Actually, you can pass on the right. Folks do it all the time. But,
if there is someone in the right lane going about the same speed as
the jerk in the left lane, it creates a traffic jam. People were
passing the offending woman on the right, blowing their horns as they
did so.

Dave

Old July 12th 05, 06:04 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:05:41 GMT, "Archangel"
> wrote:

>As I remember, it your "allowed" to pass on the right on a divided road. (In
>MA laws)
>Now in VT your able to pass on a double yellow as long as there isn't a sign
>saying that you can't.

Correct. In VT the pass on double yellow also includes "if it is safe
to do," meaning, if you cause an accident, you're dead meat.

Another traffic law in VT is: if the speed limit is not posted, you
revert to the state's official speed limit which is 55 mph. My wife
and I used to rally in New England and once on one in Vermont, I
passed several cars on a dirt road *without a posted speed limit*.

At rally headquarters later that afternoon, a Trooper came looking for
me and my silver 200 Turbo Quattro. He backed off when told the law
about unposted roads. I passed the cars safely and without shooting
gravel at them. They were locals and didn't like the fact that 40
strange cars were going down their roads. And, I don't blame them.

Dave
RS6

Old July 12th 05, 06:10 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:45:08 -0400, "Steve Sears"
> wrote:

>Sorry to say I had to stifle a chuckle when I thought of you holding back
>the reins of the RS6, surrounded by dozy drivers....talk about frusternation
>(in Virginia-speak). Sorry to hear about it.....no really.....I am.
>Cheers!

Although I do drive fast, I've never caused an accident except the
time I hit a male deer with my '94 S4. I wasn't the only driver
suffering "frusternation" (like that word) trying to get by that
women. Even truck drivers were blowing their horns. d;o(

>Steve Sears
>1987 Audi 5kTQ - people don't get out of the way for me, either, and I'm in
>Ontario!
>1980 Audi 5k - people don't need to get out of the way
>1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - can't get out of it's own way.

Now *that* is funny! d;o)

Dave

The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
SUV drivers MidnightDad Driving 60 April 1st 05 08:03 PM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM
Truck Drivers Needed Trucking Recruiter 4x4 0 April 14th 04 01:33 PM