How would you store a mildly used electric fuel pump?

Old March 21st 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
muzician21

Default How would you store a mildly used electric fuel pump?

Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old March 22nd 13, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Vic Smith

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
> wrote:

>Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
>electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Thanks.

Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
Then bag it.
I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
they'll fit my new car.
Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
condenser.
Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
So I'm watching this to see other advice.
I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
it's made for.
Old March 22nd 13, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/21/2013 07:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
> > wrote:
>
>> Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
>> electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
> Then bag it.
> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
> they'll fit my new car.
> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
> condenser.
> Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
> thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
> So I'm watching this to see other advice.
> I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
> it's made for.

probably not a bad idea, although I would have suggested Diesel fuel for
the small amount of wax in it after it evaporates. Old farmer trick.
Just don't get any on the electric motor portion, just the bits with
seals, exposed uncoated metal, etc. Petroleum based solvents can cause
the windings to swell (or so the story goes, and why take the chance?)
and I would assume that they could wipe out the lube in any
bushings/bearings on the motor shaft.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 22nd 13, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/21/2013 04:49 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 07:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
>>> electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
>> Then bag it.
>> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
>> they'll fit my new car.
>> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
>> condenser.
>> Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
>> thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
>> So I'm watching this to see other advice.
>> I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
>> it's made for.
>>

> probably not a bad idea, although I would have suggested Diesel fuel for
> the small amount of wax in it after it evaporates. Old farmer trick.
> Just don't get any on the electric motor portion, just the bits with
> seals, exposed uncoated metal, etc. Petroleum based solvents can cause
> the windings to swell (or so the story goes, and why take the chance?)
> and I would assume that they could wipe out the lube in any
> bushings/bearings on the motor shaft.

for a pump that otherwise lives inside a fuel tank, how exactly do you
think "swelling" [pfffffft!!!!] or "wipe out" is going to happen inside
a plastic bag? anosognosic retard.

--
fact check required
Old March 22nd 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/21/2013 10:11 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 04:49 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>> On 03/21/2013 07:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21

>>> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
>>> Then bag it.
>>> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
>>> they'll fit my new car.
>>> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
>>> condenser.
>>> Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
>>> thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
>>> So I'm watching this to see other advice.
>>> I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
>>> it's made for.
>>>

>> probably not a bad idea, although I would have suggested Diesel fuel for
>> the small amount of wax in it after it evaporates. Old farmer trick.
>> Just don't get any on the electric motor portion, just the bits with
>> seals, exposed uncoated metal, etc. Petroleum based solvents can cause
>> the windings to swell (or so the story goes, and why take the chance?)
>> and I would assume that they could wipe out the lube in any
>> bushings/bearings on the motor shaft.

> for a pump that otherwise lives inside a fuel tank, how exactly do you
> think "swelling" [pfffffft!!!!] or "wipe out" is going to happen inside
> a plastic bag? anosognosic retard.

read for comprehension ****stick, he also referred to a starter motor
and alternator.

You ought to feel stupid now but we all know you will just somehow
rationalize it to yourself somehow.

nate

Old March 22nd 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/21/2013 07:25 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 10:11 PM, jim beam wrote:

>>> probably not a bad idea, although I would have suggested Diesel fuel for
>>> the small amount of wax in it after it evaporates. Old farmer trick.
>>> Just don't get any on the electric motor portion, just the bits with
>>> seals, exposed uncoated metal, etc. Petroleum based solvents can cause
>>> the windings to swell (or so the story goes, and why take the chance?)
>>> and I would assume that they could wipe out the lube in any
>>> bushings/bearings on the motor shaft.

>> for a pump that otherwise lives inside a fuel tank, how exactly do you
>> think "swelling" [pfffffft!!!!] or "wipe out" is going to happen inside
>> a plastic bag? anosognosic retard.
>>

> read for comprehension ****stick, he also referred to a starter motor
> and alternator.

ah, so not only is comprehension an issue, the hamster brain is easily
distracted too. next time nate, re-read the POST TITLE before insisting
how ****ing stoooopid you really are.

> You ought to feel stupid now but we all know you will just somehow
> rationalize it to yourself somehow.

you couldn't rationalize your way off being stuck to the side of a
toilet bowl.

--
fact check required
Old March 22nd 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gpsman

On Mar 21, 6:44*pm, muzician21 > wrote:

> Suggestions?

I'd opt for the recycle bin.
-----

- gpsman

Old March 22nd 13, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gpsman

From: muzician21 >
Newsgroups:
rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.f ord.mustang

"Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.

Suggestions?

Thanks."
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...n&dmode=source
-----

- gpsman
Old March 22nd 13, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

In article >,
Vic Smith > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
> > wrote:
>
> >Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
> >electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
> >
> >Suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks.

> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
> Then bag it.
> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
> they'll fit my new car.
> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
> condenser.
> Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
> thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
> So I'm watching this to see other advice.
> I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
> it's made for.

WD-40 won't harm the pump, but in a few months it will be gummed up
quite well. It will then take a whole lot more WD-40 to free up all the
moving parts again. I would suggest spraying it with a good grade of
silicone oil. The silicone won't gum up, but will cost a bit more than
twice as much as a can of WD. Go with the silicone spray.

My $.02

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
Old March 22nd 13, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 3/22/2013 10:07, twk wrote:
> In article >,
> Vic Smith > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
>>> electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
>> Then bag it.
>> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
>> they'll fit my new car.
>> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,

> WD-40 won't harm the pump, but in a few months it will be gummed up
> quite well. It will then take a whole lot more WD-40 to free up all the
> moving parts again. I would suggest spraying it with a good grade of
> silicone oil. The silicone won't gum up, but will cost a bit more than
> twice as much as a can of WD. Go with the silicone spray.
>
> My $.02

Personally I'd throw it the hell away. With as much trouble as it is
to replace a Mustang's fuel pump, I'm certainly not going that far to
install a used fuel pump that "likely has some miles left."

No electric to new fuel pump [email protected] Technology 2 March 6th 07 03:02 PM
1974 SB - Replacing manual fuel pump with an electric (fuel delivery problem) Steve VW air cooled 10 June 20th 06 08:05 PM
Electric fuel pump bbs Technology 5 March 26th 06 05:10 PM
convert to electric fuel pump bud682 VW air cooled 3 September 27th 05 01:49 PM
Electric fuel pump question bige lewis Technology 2 August 1st 05 08:01 PM