1997 Jetta TDI timing belt

Old July 6th 05, 05:44 PM
timofthenorth

Default 1997 Jetta TDI timing belt

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Jetta TDI, and one thing I'm
concerned about is the timing belt. It's the original and I'm thinking
it might be about due for a change. The car has 125,000 kms on it and
is selling for $5000 Canadian which I think is a pretty good deal even
if I have to put in a new belt. Does anyone know what the approximate
cost for labour/parts is for the belt change and when it's recommended
to change it by VW? Also, is it worthwhile just doing the water pump
as well while the belt is off?

Oh, and one other thing: One of the engine mounts seems to be
completely shot. Of course, it's the most inaccessible one (passenger
side, on the firewall). Any comments on driving with a busted engine
mount, or approximate cost to replace?

Old July 7th 05, 03:29 AM
David Cotie

Tim, if this truly a TDI for $5000 CAD with that kind of mileage, run and
get it. That is a steal. Are you sure it is a TDI and not a straight TD? Is
the body in good shape? Look very carefully, some of the A3's seem to be
prone to rust.

A belt change at the dealer for my 95, including a new tensioner was about
$350 CAD. I believe the interval is 60,000 miles or 100,000 kms. If you do
buy it, I would have it changed immediately, regardless. It is cheap
insurance to protect the motor.

No idea on the engine mount cost, sorry.

DC

ps.com...

Old July 7th 05, 04:50 PM
K. E. Loyd

My '97 Jetta TDI will turn 150k miles (241546 km) this month. You probably
already know the tensioner should be replaced at the same time. It turns
out all the other belts are removed to get to the big belt, I replace those
too because the labor is "free". When I do this, the whole thing seems to
come in under US$450. ( ~ Ca$560) My water pump had very minor evidence of
leakage after 2 belts. If your feeling just a little lucky, do the water
pump with the next timing belt.

regards,
KL