Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series

Old December 7th 04, 11:47 PM
Dennis W

Default Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series

Get the BMW. 1.Quality 2.Reliability
From a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro Owner

"Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
> I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi Quattro

A4.

Old December 8th 04, 06:26 PM
Dan J.S.

"Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
>I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi Quattro A4.
>
> Thoughts, opinions and facts are appreciated.
>
> H Castorp

Both unreliable. Get a Lexus IS.

Old December 8th 04, 08:50 PM
Mike Smith

Dan J.S. wrote:

> "Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
>
>>I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi Quattro A4.
>>
>>Thoughts, opinions and facts are appreciated.
>>
>>H Castorp

> Both unreliable. Get a Lexus IS.

Too bad it's so ugly.

--
Mike Smith
Old December 9th 04, 12:51 AM
KLS

On 08 Dec 2004 21:35:52 GMT, (Steve Grauman) wrote:

>I'm not aware of any mass claims that the 3-series is a problematic vehicle. My
>uncle had 3 of them before moving into the 5-series he just bought and they've
>been problem free thus far. However iDrive is a bitch. I'm well aware of claims
>aganist the A4 but my father's B5 2.8 went over 60,000 miles with no problems,
>and my 1.8t powered GTi is trouble free as well. The IS is great little car, it
>can out-handle the 3-series and matches the class average 0-60 time of around
>7.0 seconds. But it's rear seat is even more cramped than the A4's and it lacks
>AWD. The AWD version of the G35 can match or beat any of them for performance
>and costs less. Slightly over-zealous brakes, but that's not the worst thing
>that could happen. However, I still prefer Audi's interiors and Quattro is the
>only truly proven system in the lot.

Steve, as usual, is right. I love BMW as much as the next person (the
motorcycles are my thing, actually, more than the cars), but the Audi
is more affordable and appropriate for my life in western New York
winters, and my 98.5 A4 has been trouble-free for the most part. No,
I wasn't amused by the rear bearing failures (one last year, one this
year), but that's not the same as control arm failures, which I have
not experienced, and the car has been rock solid reliable in terms of
electrical and engine functions. Maybe I got a midweek built car. I
love this machine and will probably drive it to the ground.
Old December 9th 04, 02:05 AM
Dan J.S.

Mike Smith wrote:
> Dan J.S. wrote:
>
>> "Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi
>>> Quattro A4. Thoughts, opinions and facts are appreciated.
>>>
>>> H Castorp

>> Both unreliable. Get a Lexus IS.

> Too bad it's so ugly.

Well, its not that bad. Audi is a pretty car! By far probably the best
looking. I am not sure what happened to the Germans, cars that used to be
rock solid are a thing of the past.

Old December 9th 04, 03:40 AM
Steve Grauman

>Steve, as usual, is right.

=) Thanks!

>but the Audi
>is more affordable and appropriate for my life in western New York
>winters, and my 98.5 A4 has been trouble-free for the most part.

Apparently Subaru's have a very good reputation for snow and ice conditions as
well. Again I prefer the A4's interior but I think the Legacy/Outback with the
250Hp 2.5 litre turbo motor might be worth a look - just in case.
Steve Grauman
Old December 9th 04, 03:42 AM
Steve Grauman

>I am not sure what happened to the Germans, cars that used to be
>rock solid are a thing of the past.

Mercedes Benz isn't what it used to be but the cars are still solid. In fact,
IMHO, MB is the only company who's cars interior quality can match or best the
Audi models. We test drove the ML-series SUV twice, once in late 2000 before my
mother got her RX300 and again a few weeks ago before she got her new Touraeg.
The exterior styling leaves a *lot* to be desired but the interior is extremely
nice and well put togethor.
Steve Grauman
Old December 9th 04, 09:54 PM
Cam Newton

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:50:42 -0500, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Dan J.S. wrote:
>
>> "Asfwindsor" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I am considering a used 3 Series, maybe the Xi model or an Audi Quattro A4.
>>>
>>>Thoughts, opinions and facts are appreciated.
>>>
>>>H Castorp

>> Both unreliable. Get a Lexus IS.

>Too bad it's so ugly.

The IS 300 is too small, no ski sack, flip/fold down seats, FWD...
shall I go on? Get the Corolla XRS for 1/2 the price if you are stuck
on a small car.

BMWs though nice are too common and option up real pretty like. Go to
the Audi page and option up an A4 and then try it with BMW. You will
spend ~ $8K more for the BMW. And look like every other mook on the
road with a 3 series.

The G35 is pretty OK, my second choice. Distant 2nd. What Nissan is
doing with the G35 is pumping up the HP in lieu of other useful things
like how the rear seat functions, fit and finish and so on. The extra
HP instead of useful things is something I would expect from the US
car assemblers. More HP = more fuel consumption. Do you need 250 HP to
toodle around at 50 km/hr? I don't and chose the A4 1.8 q.

Old December 10th 04, 04:53 AM
Eza Gadson

What!?!?

The ML is the worst piece of trash that Mercedes has ever sold (in America).
If you thought that was anywhere near nice and/or well put together, you'd
love a vintage 1980s Jeep. Seriously, that thing is a tremendous step down
for MB, and they've been somewhat practiced at stepping down build quality
and reliability for the last 10 years.

Check out a 1994 vintage W124 E-class or an even older W126 S-class. You
will find many examples of those 10+ year old cars with fewer rattles,
tighter exterior panel fit, and better internal fit and finish than a new ML
that just rolled off the assembly line.

On 12/8/04 10:42 PM, in article
, "Steve Grauman"

Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 08:39 PM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM