Opinions on V8 conversions

Old April 24th 14, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_3_]

Default Opinions on V8 conversions

.... such as the Monster Miata.

Obviously increased power = increased straight line performance.
But what about cornering, braking, agility, fuel consumption?

Anyone have personal experience, or a data sheet / road test / review printout?

Thanks.

Don

Old April 24th 14, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

On 2014-04-24 02:42:32 +0000, Don Q said:

> ... such as the Monster Miata.
>
> Obviously increased power = increased straight line performance.
> But what about cornering, braking, agility, fuel consumption?
>
> Anyone have personal experience, or a data sheet / road test / review printout?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

The conversion process has come a long way from the days of the Monster Miata.

Check out Flyin' Miatas V8 conversions. There've been reviews of it in
most of the major auto mags.

<http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130904/carreviews/130909932>

<http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/drives-flyin-miata-mazda-mx5-v8>

<http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mazda/1990-2009-mazda-mx-5-habu-by-flyin-miata-ar152455.html>

<http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1311_v_8_roadsters_flyin_miata_habu_and_shelby_ame rcian_cobra_csx8000/>

It's not cheap...

....but the end result is beautiful.

If I could afford it, I'd already have mine in Colorado being converted.

Old April 24th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Alan Baker > wrote:

> If I could afford it, I'd already have mine in Colorado being
> converted.

My wish list is much cheaper:

1. A small V6 conversion, maybe around 2.5 liters or so?

2. An automatic as I'm no longer able to drive a manual shift. I's
like a 6 0r 8 speed with paddle shifters!

3. An improved top, I have the strap conversion so my glass window top
works but I'm always afraid I'll forget to hold the 2nd top bow forward
which will tear stuff, I understand the 1999 and later top frame use a
spring mechanism to hold the bow forward? An inexpensive conversion
would be nice. If I still have the car (very doubtful) when the top
goes bad I'll get a '99 top frame with the new top.

4. A different rear end, the gearing isn't right for freeway use, I'll
need lower RPM in top gear with my V6 and 8 speed auto! <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old April 24th 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

On 2014-04-24 18:33:44 +0000, XS11E said:

> Alan Baker > wrote:
>
>> If I could afford it, I'd already have mine in Colorado being
>> converted.

> My wish list is much cheaper:
>
> 1. A small V6 conversion, maybe around 2.5 liters or so?

Check out the Honda/Isuzu motor in this conversion:

" Isuzu 6VD1 (3.2) and 6VE1 (3.4). Aluminum block, DOHC, 75deg V (short
height), forged rods, cast crank, open deck, and COP ignition. Built by
Honda."

<http://www.miataturbo.net/engine-performance-56/v6-swap-options-70159/>

> 2. An automatic as I'm no longer able to drive a manual shift. I's
> like a 6 0r 8 speed with paddle shifters!

Uses the GM 60 degree bolt pattern for the bellhousing so you should
probably be able to bolt up any number of transmissions.

Old April 25th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_3_]

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

After reading everything, I decided I am not as enthusiastic about a V8
as I thought.

First hurdle is the price. I realize it is all custom work, not an
assembly line, but still... The total cost puts it in the same category
as many other, dare I say better, cars such as the Vette and Cayman.

Second, I feel that both the weight and the fuel consumption of this GM
block is more than I would be happy with. It was interesting to note
that while all the testers expressed positive subjective impressions
there was not a single skidpad or slalom figure in sight.

I am not a purist but I am a pragmatist. I don't know how often I would
need a 0-60 of 3.6 seconds. I think maybe a turbo is a more sensibe
option. YMMV

Thanks again for the info!

Old April 25th 14, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

On 2014-04-25 01:43:33 +0000, Don Q said:

> Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
>
> After reading everything, I decided I am not as enthusiastic about a V8
> as I thought.
>
> First hurdle is the price. I realize it is all custom work, not an
> assembly line, but still... The total cost puts it in the same category
> as many other, dare I say better, cars such as the Vette and Cayman.
>
> Second, I feel that both the weight and the fuel consumption of this GM
> block is more than I would be happy with. It was interesting to note
> that while all the testers expressed positive subjective impressions
> there was not a single skidpad or slalom figure in sight.

I don't think you need be too worried on that score. The LS chevy adds
a couple of hundred pounds to the car, but that by no means destroys
the handling.

Check out this guy's site:

<http://targamiata.com/>

> I am not a purist but I am a pragmatist. I don't know how often I would
> need a 0-60 of 3.6 seconds. I think maybe a turbo is a more sensibe
> option. YMMV

Definitely more economical. A first class turbo setup is around $5K,
and if you're handy and have the tools, you could install it in a
weekend.

Old April 25th 14, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_3_]

On 2014-04-24 14:33:44 -0400, XS11E > said:

> Alan Baker > wrote:
>
>> If I could afford it, I'd already have mine in Colorado being
>> converted.

> My wish list is much cheaper:
>
> 1. A small V6 conversion, maybe around 2.5 liters or so?
>
> 2. An automatic as I'm no longer able to drive a manual shift. I's
> like a 6 0r 8 speed with paddle shifters!
>
> 3. An improved top, I have the strap conversion so my glass window top
> works but I'm always afraid I'll forget to hold the 2nd top bow forward
> which will tear stuff, I understand the 1999 and later top frame use a
> spring mechanism to hold the bow forward? An inexpensive conversion
> would be nice. If I still have the car (very doubtful) when the top
> goes bad I'll get a '99 top frame with the new top.
>
> 4. A different rear end, the gearing isn't right for freeway use, I'll
> need lower RPM in top gear with my V6 and 8 speed auto! <G>

I think we are more or less on the same page here.

1- A light engine that doesn't impact the f/r weight distribution. Or
just a turbo.

2- Given my typical driving, any old 3-speed, set-and-forget auto is
fine for me.

3- I must say I relly like the power hardtop.

4- Yes! With enough torque you could cruise calmly at around 2000 rpm. Heaven!

Don

Old April 26th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Don Q > wrote:

> 3- I must say I relly like the power hardtop.

Me too but mine 92 is paid for, trading for a PRHT would be way outside
my budget, particularly for a 3rd car I'd seldom drive.

I do like the larger engine, 2L vs 1.6L, the auto with paddle shifters,
etc. but I did drive a NC when they first came out and they do NOT fit
me, I decided against it then but removing those painful cupholders in
the doors fixed the biggest objection I had to the car.

The practical solution is to sell the Miata and live w/o anything
that's fun to drive.... <sigh>

The Usenet Improvement Project:

Plugin conversions: Why so expensive? Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] Technology 7 May 2nd 09 03:13 PM
Recommendations for LPG conversions for a BMW 325i Jay BMW 8 May 1st 07 12:24 PM
monster conversions peter Mazda 7 July 17th 06 03:38 AM
Mini-Van Conversions? Tyler Durden 4x4 14 December 20th 04 04:40 PM
Mid Tenn headlight conversions USAROVER Mazda 0 November 4th 04 04:36 PM