fuel pump pin falling out?

Old April 18th 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

Default fuel pump pin falling out?

I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working
its way out.

The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this pictu
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
(but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to
take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)

What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?
Is it ever supposed to come out like that??

More details:
mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)
1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine
1965 karmann ghia
Old April 18th 11, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:39:52 +0200, Sam > wrote:

> I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working
> its way out.
>
> The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this pictu
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
> (but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to
> take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)
>
> What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?
> Is it ever supposed to come out like that??
>
> More details:
> mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)
> 1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine
> 1965 karmann ghia

You need to get that pin back in before it dislodges from the pump lever
inside. Tap it carefully in, it should be flush with pump body(equal
distance at each side as in centered).
To get it to stay in you either need to knurl(Sp?) the end protruding
before tapping it back in, or stalk the aluminium around its end when it
is far enough in(side).

J.

Ps.
If it gets far enough out you will no longer have a pump..
Old April 18th 11, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

Thanks for the help. That is what I was worried about. I hope I can
tap it back in without any damage.

-Sam

Old April 18th 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:15:04 +0200, Sam > wrote:

> Thanks for the help. That is what I was worried about. I hope I can
> tap it back in without any damage.
>
> -Sam

When you get it far enough in to reach the other side of the pump body,
you might have to tap it at an slight angle to get it to enter the other
hole.
Take a good look at the pin before you tap it and see what angle it wants
to tilt towards, either up or down, tap carefully in the opposite
direction when there is something like 5mm's left.
Not accurate measures here so your mileage may vary.
J.

Old April 18th 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 4/18/2011 11:39 AM, Sam wrote:
> I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working
> its way out.
>
> The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this pictu
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
> (but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to
> take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)
>
> What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?
> Is it ever supposed to come out like that??
>
> More details:
> mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)
> 1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine
> 1965 karmann ghia

On older style pumps the pin has a circlip on each end that holds the
pin in place. On many of the newer pumps the pin is staked in. Your pin
has obviously worked its way out.

The pin forms the pivot point for an operating lever that is pumped up
and down on one end of the lever by a rod that rubs against the
distributor drive cam inside the engine case. The other end of the lever
pumps the diaphragm located near the top of the fuel pump.

The following old RAMVA post describes the same problem you have and
possible solutions if you have one of the staked-type pumps. The pic you
supplied looks to be a staked-type pumps. Circlip-type pumps have
several screws allowing the top of the pump to be separated from the
lower part so that the diaphragm can be replaced if need be.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...5edc29924b7e25

-- Randall
Old April 19th 11, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=134550

Marc wrote:...the Brosol Brazilian work OK - sometimes the pivot pin
fit isn't as tight as it should be (some folks put a blob of epoxy or
JB Weld over each end for insurance against the pin walking out)...

Jim Ed wrote…..The pin that holds the lever came out of a like new
Brosol fuel pump. It had only about 3 years/ 3000 miles on it.

When the new fuel pump comes I was thinking of knocking the lever
shaft pin out, cleaning it, and applying a little Red Loctite to the
ends before replacing it.
That should hold it in place.

I also cleaned it a put a blob of J.B.Weld Kwik Dry epoxy glue on the
pin ends.

It has been working OK for 3 months now.

Old April 19th 11, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

Thanks all. I got the pin back in (it actually fell out!) and
everything worked fine.

-Sam

Old April 19th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LoveBus

On Apr 18, 3:47*pm, Randall > wrote:
> On 4/18/2011 11:39 AM, Sam wrote:
>
> > I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working
> > its way out.

> > The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this pictu
> >https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...Vu0O_pGl5mgnfR...
> > (but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to
> > take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)

> > What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?
> > Is it ever supposed to come out like that??

> > More details:
> > mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)
> > 1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine
> > 1965 karmann ghia

> On older style pumps the pin has a circlip on each end that holds the
> pin in place. On many of the newer pumps the pin is staked in. Your pin
> has obviously worked its way out.
>
> The pin forms the pivot point for an operating lever that is pumped up
> and down on one end of the lever by a rod that rubs against the
> distributor drive cam inside the engine case. The other end of the lever
> pumps the diaphragm located near the top of the fuel pump.
>
> The following old RAMVA post describes the same problem you have and
> possible solutions if you have one of the staked-type pumps. The pic you
> supplied looks to be a staked-type pumps. Circlip-type pumps have
> several screws allowing the top of the pump to be separated from the
> lower part so that the diaphragm can be replaced if need be.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ooled/browse_t...
>
> -- Randall

If you can find an old junk fuel pump that has a shaft with the C-Clip
on both ends of the shaft you can take your pump off and replace the
shaft thats in your pump with it and never worry about it again.
Theses new pumps with the plastic holding the shaft in are prone to
this happening. Most of the time once it works its way out it will
continue to do so.
Old April 25th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Foo Fighter

In article >,
"P.J.Berg" > wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:15:04 +0200, Sam > wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the help. That is what I was worried about. I hope I can
> > tap it back in without any damage.
> >
> > -Sam

> When you get it far enough in to reach the other side of the pump body,
> you might have to tap it at an slight angle to get it to enter the other
> hole.
> Take a good look at the pin before you tap it and see what angle it wants
> to tilt towards, either up or down, tap carefully in the opposite
> direction when there is something like 5mm's left.
> Not accurate measures here so your mileage may vary.
> J.

> >> You need to get that pin back in before it dislodges from the pump
> >> lever inside. Tap it carefully in, it should be flush with pump
> >> body(equal distance at each side as in centered).
> >> To get it to stay in you either need to knurl(Sp?) the end protruding
> >> before tapping it back in, or stalk the aluminium around its end when
> >> it is far enough in(side).
> >>
> >> J.
> >>
> >> Ps.
> >> If it gets far enough out you will no longer have a pump..
> >> --
> >> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

I have found that if the pin has already dropped out. it is difficult to
get it back in because the "lever" inside drops down and blocks the
pathway. I would suggest pushing in a tapered tool from the other side.
maybe a phillips screwdriver .
and in have found Crazy glue to penetrate such a tunnel and I've used it
on the brass fitting into the old carbs. you know the inlet on top.
and you can still stake it.
and off topic;
baldies unite;

So-called 'Balders' Movement Gathers Steam

http://www.democraticunderground.com...=view_all&addr
ess=439x957348

definitely O.T,
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old October 19th 14, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rays74

replying to Sam , Rays74 wrote:
> samjlord wrote:
>
> I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working
> its way out.
> The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this pictu

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
> (but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to
> take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)
> What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?
> Is it ever supposed to come out like that??
> More details:
> mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)
> 1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine
> 1965 karmann ghia

No, it's not supposed to come out. Mine worked its way out to the point where
the fuel pump stopped working and stranded me. If yours is a Brosol pump like
mine, it seems to be a faulty design. There's nothing holding that pin in the
pump body. They should have made it a little longer and put snap rings on the
outside. I would replace it with a different brand before it completely fails.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/volkswage...out-76357-.htm