Ford Explorer Gearbox

Old February 21st 05, 04:19 AM
Qatarexplorer

Default Ford Explorer Gearbox

I'm having problems with the automactic transmission on my 1995 Ford
Explorer - Full Electronic version. As I'm driving along the gears
will disengage or alternatively change down when not required to. At
the same time the overdrive light on the dash usually switches off and
on and the electronic speedo usually drops to zero. If I take my foot
of the throttle and press down again the gears usually re-engage. I
suspect its an electronic thing as the gearbox has been recently
rebuilt with new clutches, pump etc (it was happening before the
rebuild and I hopes it would be cured but its stil happening).
Communciation with the Ford Dealer and garages is difficult because of
language barriers as I'm in Qatar. Has anyone had similar problems and
can give a defintive diagnosis.

Don

Old February 21st 05, 11:37 PM
the fly

On 20 Feb 2005 20:19:16 -0800, "Qatarexplorer"
> wrote:

>I'm having problems with the automactic transmission on my 1995 Ford
>Explorer - Full Electronic version. As I'm driving along the gears
>will disengage or alternatively change down when not required to. At
>the same time the overdrive light on the dash usually switches off and
>on and the electronic speedo usually drops to zero. If I take my foot
>of the throttle and press down again the gears usually re-engage. I
>suspect its an electronic thing as the gearbox has been recently
>rebuilt with new clutches, pump etc (it was happening before the
>rebuild and I hopes it would be cured but its stil happening).
>Communciation with the Ford Dealer and garages is difficult because of
>language barriers as I'm in Qatar. Has anyone had similar problems and
>can give a defintive diagnosis.
>

>Don

That can happen as a result of a worn Manual Lever Position
Sensor (also known as a neutral safety switch). Gives a spurious
signal as if the shift lever has been placed in neutral. My '93 Crown
Vic acted this way.