Consider buying American!

Old February 12th 08, 03:59 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

Default Consider buying American!

wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>
> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
> they need, they are going to go under.

Isn't that what free enterprise/capitalism is all about, i.e, buyers
switch to another company's products is supposed to spur the company
losing business to improve its products, pricing, etc.? Sounds as though
you want us to reward the Detroit execs for decades of short sighted
greed - count me out.
Old February 12th 08, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
tater

> wrote in message
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>
> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>
> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
> car.

American cars are crap. Made by unionists more worried about when their
next coffee break is than making quality cars. They've negotiated themselves
right out of jobs as the big auto makers cut back. It's not possible to do
business
that way and compete on a world wide economy.

A couple years ago I bought a Nissan truck with 92,000 miles on it and
didn't bat an eye. I wouldn't even think of owning an American made
car with over 60,000 miles on it. They fall apart.

When American auto makers start turning out a quality product at
a competitive price I'll take a look at them.

Old February 12th 08, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Retired VIP[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:41:31 GMT, Jeff >

>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>
>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>
>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>> car.

Snipped

>What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?
>
>What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?
>
>Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather than
>the other way around?
>
>Jeff

You are right Jeff. There are no American Car companies anymore. The
only difference between "American" and "Japanese" companies is where
they are incorporated. American cars are assembled in the USA, Mexico
or Canada with parts made all over the world. The same holds true
with Toyota and Honda.

Jack
Old February 12th 08, 06:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
BaJoRi

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>
>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>> car.
>>
>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>
>> Buick Lacrosse
>> Buick Lucerne
>> Cadillac CTS
>> Cadillac CTS-V
>> Cadillac DTS
>> Chevrolet HHR
>> Chevrolet Impala
>> Chevrolet Malibu
>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>> Chrysler 300
>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>> Dodge Durango
>> Ford Five Hundred
>> Ford Focus
>> Ford Freestyle
>> Ford Fusion
>> GMC Yukon
>> Jeep Liberty
>> Lincoln MKZ
>> Lincoln Town Car
>> Mercury Milan
>> Mercury Montego
>> Pontiac G6
>> Pontiac Torrent

> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?
>
> What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?
>
> Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather than
> the other way around?
>
> Jeff

Where do the profits go? The profits for Japanese manufacturers, no matter
where the car is built, go to Japan. It sucks revenue out of our economy.

Old February 12th 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff[_3_]

BaJoRi wrote:

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>>
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>>> car.
>>>
>>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>>
>>> Buick Lacrosse
>>> Buick Lucerne
>>> Cadillac CTS
>>> Cadillac CTS-V
>>> Cadillac DTS
>>> Chevrolet HHR
>>> Chevrolet Impala
>>> Chevrolet Malibu
>>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>>> Chrysler 300
>>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>>> Dodge Durango
>>> Ford Five Hundred
>>> Ford Focus
>>> Ford Freestyle
>>> Ford Fusion
>>> GMC Yukon
>>> Jeep Liberty
>>> Lincoln MKZ
>>> Lincoln Town Car
>>> Mercury Milan
>>> Mercury Montego
>>> Pontiac G6
>>> Pontiac Torrent

>> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?
>>
>> What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?
>>
>> Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather
>> than the other way around?
>>
>> Jeff

> Where do the profits go? The profits for Japanese manufacturers, no
> matter where the car is built, go to Japan. It sucks revenue out of our
> economy.

The profits from the American subsidies of Honda and Toyota are taxed
the same way American companies are taxed, because, legally, they are
American companies.

Jeff
Old February 12th 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.makers.honda, alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes, alt.autos.bmw

On Feb 12, 11:21 am, "BaJoRi" > wrote:
> "Jeff" > wrote in message

> > wrote:
> >>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

> >> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
> >> ever annual loss for a US automaker.

> >> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
> >> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
> >> car.

> >> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
> >> Annual Auto Issue:

> >> Buick Lacrosse
> >> Buick Lucerne
> >> Cadillac CTS
> >> Cadillac CTS-V
> >> Cadillac DTS
> >> Chevrolet HHR
> >> Chevrolet Impala
> >> Chevrolet Malibu
> >> Chevrolet Tahoe
> >> Chrysler 300
> >> Chrysler PT Cruiser
> >> Dodge Durango
> >> Ford Five Hundred
> >> Ford Focus
> >> Ford Freestyle
> >> Ford Fusion
> >> GMC Yukon
> >> Jeep Liberty
> >> Lincoln MKZ
> >> Lincoln Town Car
> >> Mercury Milan
> >> Mercury Montego
> >> Pontiac G6
> >> Pontiac Torrent

> > What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?

> > What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?

> > Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather than
> > the other way around?

> > Jeff

> Where do the profits go? The profits for Japanese manufacturers, no matter
> where the car is built, go to Japan. It sucks revenue out of our economy.

And of course the Japanese (and Chinese) are financing our national
debt (like paying for the Iraqi adventure) by investing their profits
in federal paper.
It all goes around....
Old February 12th 08, 06:55 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

tater wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>
>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>
>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>> car.
>>

> American cars are crap. Made by unionists more worried about when their
> next coffee break is than making quality cars. They've negotiated themselves
> right out of jobs as the big auto makers cut back. It's not possible to do
> business that way and compete on a world wide economy.

It's hardly the workers' fault - Honda & Toyota employ American workers
and turn out quality vehicles. This is a management failing.
Old February 12th 08, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

BaJoRi wrote:

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>>
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>>> car.
>>>
>>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>>
>>> Buick Lacrosse
>>> Buick Lucerne
>>> Cadillac CTS
>>> Cadillac CTS-V
>>> Cadillac DTS
>>> Chevrolet HHR
>>> Chevrolet Impala
>>> Chevrolet Malibu
>>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>>> Chrysler 300
>>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>>> Dodge Durango
>>> Ford Five Hundred
>>> Ford Focus
>>> Ford Freestyle
>>> Ford Fusion
>>> GMC Yukon
>>> Jeep Liberty
>>> Lincoln MKZ
>>> Lincoln Town Car
>>> Mercury Milan
>>> Mercury Montego
>>> Pontiac G6
>>> Pontiac Torrent

>> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?
>>
>> What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?
>>
>> Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather
>> than the other way around?
>>
>> Jeff

> Where do the profits go? The profits for Japanese manufacturers, no
> matter where the car is built, go to Japan. It sucks revenue out of our
> economy.

Consumers are voting with their dollars, Detroit needs to change the way
it does business or die.
Old February 12th 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Elle

"BaJoRi" > wrote
> Where do the profits go? The profits for Japanese
> manufacturers, no matter where the car is built, go to
> Japan. It sucks revenue out of our economy.

The profits are distributed among all involved in producing
the car. This includes Japanese executives (who surely spend
a lot of time spending money in the U.S.), American
employees of Honda and Toyota plants, and shareholders
around the world, who get stock dividends. Any profits
rolled back into the company serve all these folks, too.
Some of the profits also go to American dealerships. Honda
builds a great car, and American dealer franchise owners are
getting their share.

Old February 12th 08, 07:46 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
swllz

Tony Harding wrote:
> tater wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>>
>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>>
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>>> car.
>>>

>> American cars are crap. Made by unionists more worried about when their
>> next coffee break is than making quality cars. They've negotiated
>> themselves
>> right out of jobs as the big auto makers cut back. It's not possible
>> to do business that way and compete on a world wide economy.

> It's hardly the workers' fault - Honda & Toyota employ American workers
> and turn out quality vehicles. This is a management failing.

It is very true. The top management in GM should be blamed. GM
assemble line workers do not make much more than assemble line worker in
TOYOTA. They just assemble what have been planed and designed by
management. The top management in GM take home a huge salary and bouns
compare to TOYOTA or HONDA top management.

Consider buying American! tater BMW 217 February 26th 08 04:11 PM
Consider buying American! Jeff[_3_] BMW 79 February 24th 08 09:47 PM
buying a Saturn-like buying a lottery ticket misterfact Saturn 3 July 2nd 04 10:02 PM