bypass AC compressor on Hyundai ACCENT

Old January 16th 05, 05:27 PM
Tysteel43

Default bypass AC compressor on Hyundai ACCENT

Hi,

I'm not very experienced at mechanics, but I was wondering if it is possible to
bypass the air conditioner compressor on a 1998 Hyundai Accent 4 cylinder with
a longer V-belt?

You see, a few days ago my car started to make a really bad noise when I was
driving, and I was having trouble in certain instances turning the steering
wheel. The noise would get louder when I turned the steering wheel from side
to side. And when I'd turn it, lights would go on in the dashboard such as the
low battery indicator and etc. Then the other day I tried to start up my car,
but it wouldn't start up anymore. It wants to turn over, but it won't. It
looks like something is seized down there as if the bearings to one of the
pulleys has given out, and now the V-belt(s) won't turn adequately.

My first guess is that the power steering pump has given out, but it could
possibly be that the AC compressor has given out, and now everything is seized
up down there. I have rotated the power steering pump pulley and there
doesn't seem to be a drag there; the resistance to force seems to be coming
from the AC compressor pulleys. Since the AC and powersteering pump pulley run
on their own separate small V-belt, perhaps a messed up AC compressor with worn
out bearings caused the power steering to drag?

So I'm wondering if it's possible, if I were to get a longer belt, could I
bypass the AC compressor completely and wrap the Vbelt around the other pulleys
so as to keep everything else running on the car? And if you have done
something similar to this before, how long of a belt would I need?

thanks