Cold start flapper.

Old December 5th 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Default Cold start flapper.

I'm watching the old History channel vw show. And the owner of a 50s
VWs had to run the engine in winter. For about 10 minutes . Get out, pop
the hood and close the cold start flapper. Get back in then drive on.
Anyone think a cable to the flapper with a lever would be a better idea.
Then trying to get the bellows set correctly.

Old December 6th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford

In article >,
"DogDiesel" > wrote:

> I'm watching the old History channel vw show. And the owner of a 50s
> VWs had to run the engine in winter. For about 10 minutes . Get out, pop
> the hood and close the cold start flapper. Get back in then drive on.
> Anyone think a cable to the flapper with a lever would be a better idea.
> Then trying to get the bellows set correctly.

Why do you think you are a better engineer than the VW designers? They
had decades of experience. You have none.

Fifties ACVWS had a flap actuator that could be reached in the engine
compartment, but it was not necessary to actuate it that way.

Get a friggin clue.
Old December 6th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 12/5/2010 7:40 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm watching the old History channel vw show. And the owner of a 50s
>> VWs had to run the engine in winter. For about 10 minutes . Get out, pop
>> the hood and close the cold start flapper. Get back in then drive on.
>> Anyone think a cable to the flapper with a lever would be a better idea.
>> Then trying to get the bellows set correctly.

> Why do you think you are a better engineer than the VW designers? They
> had decades of experience. You have none.
>
> Fifties ACVWS had a flap actuator that could be reached in the engine
> compartment, but it was not necessary to actuate it that way.
>
> Get a friggin clue.

feel the love

Come on, there are countless little details in a seemingly simple
aircooled VW that take time to learn and notice. We all had to start
with nothing

BTW my first car was a 1970 1500 beetle. It had the "modern" automatic
thermostat operated flap system, but also a lever on the fan shroud that
might look like a manual lever. It hooked up to a rod that operated the
hot/cold air intake flap in the air cleaner box.

I believe I have seen air cleaner boxes that had a manual lever to
operate the intake air preheat flap. Then later on they used a wax
pellet type (?) thermostat contained within the late model plastic air
cleaner box to achieve the same function.
Old December 6th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Dec 5, 2:00*pm, "DogDiesel" > wrote:
> *I'm watching the *old *History channel vw show. *And the owner of a * 50s
> VWs had to run the engine in winter. For about 10 minutes . *Get out, pop
> the hood and close the cold start flapper. *Get back in then drive on.

Was that the show about the arctic or antarctic?

> Anyone think a cable to the *flapper with a lever *would be a better idea.
> Then trying to get the bellows *set correctly.

No. Always follow directions exactly.
The hat and gloves method is better than frying the engine because
you thought you had a better way to adjust it. After about 10 miles it
should start warming up.

Old December 6th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Old December 7th 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 12/6/2010 4:48 PM, Jim Ed wrote:
> On Dec 5, 7:16 pm, Jan > wrote:
>> On 12/5/2010 7:40 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
>>

>>> In >,

>>> Why do you think you are a better engineer than the VW designers? They
>>> had decades of experience. You have none.

>>> Fifties ACVWS had a flap actuator that could be reached in the engine
>>> compartment, but it was not necessary to actuate it that way.

>>> Get a friggin clue.

>> feel the love
>>
>> Come on, there are countless little details in a seemingly simple
>> aircooled VW that take time to learn and notice. We all had to start
>> with nothing
>>
>> BTW my first car was a 1970 1500 beetle. It had the "modern" automatic
>> thermostat operated flap system, but also a lever on the fan shroud that
>> might look like a manual lever. It hooked up to a rod that operated the
>> hot/cold air intake flap in the air cleaner box.
>>
>> I believe I have seen air cleaner boxes that had a manual lever to
>> operate the intake air preheat flap. Then later on they used a wax
>> pellet type (?) thermostat contained within the late model plastic air
>> cleaner box to achieve the same function.

> My late model plastic air cleaner does not have the wax pellet type
> actuator. Instead it has a vacuum advance pot connected to a lever
> that opens and closes the flap in the air horn. Mine is broken or is
> out of adjustment. The flap stays closed and lets cool air in all the
> time. If I connect the hose directly to the carb it stays closed all
> the time and lets the hot air in.
> I do not use this paper element air cleaner except in Summer
> occasionally.
> I usually use an oil bath air cleaner with the wax pellet type
> actuator since, I was told it cleans the air more efficiently.

I may have remembered the designs wrong, mixed up. I dunno anymore. I
need a VW.
Old December 7th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> On 12/6/2010 4:48 PM, Jim Ed wrote:

>>> feel the love
>>>
>>> Come on, there are countless little details in a seemingly simple
>>> aircooled VW that take time to learn and notice. We all had to start
>>> with nothing
>>>
>>> BTW my first car was a 1970 1500 beetle. It had the "modern" automatic
>>> thermostat operated flap system, but also a lever on the fan shroud that
>>> might look like a manual lever. It hooked up to a rod that operated the
>>> hot/cold air intake flap in the air cleaner box.
>>>
>>> I believe I have seen air cleaner boxes that had a manual lever to
>>> operate the intake air preheat flap. Then later on they used a wax
>>> pellet type (?) thermostat contained within the late model plastic air
>>> cleaner box to achieve the same function.

Exactly what im talking about? I said cold start flapper.

Old December 7th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Jim Ed" > wrote in message
On Dec 5, 2:00 pm, "DogDiesel" > wrote:
> I'm watching the old History channel vw show. And the owner of a 50s
> VWs had to run the engine in winter. For about 10 minutes . Get out, pop
> the hood and close the cold start flapper. Get back in then drive on.

Was that the show about the arctic or antarctic?

It was the history of VWS. Its been on the history channel for years.

They show a guy adjusting a manual cold start flapper.By driving the car a
bit. Stopping , popping the hood, In the engine compartment. And operating
the flap. And it was made that way.

> Anyone think a cable to the flapper with a lever would be a better idea.
> Then trying to get the bellows set correctly.

No. Always follow directions exactly.
The hat and gloves method is better than frying the engine because
you thought you had a better way to adjust it. After about 10 miles it
should start warming up.

Citroen Visa Cold Start - Really Cold Day J General 0 March 28th 08 10:48 AM
cold start Evan Jou Technology 10 January 29th 08 10:16 PM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero BMW 11 August 4th 05 10:39 PM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero VW water cooled 3 August 4th 05 02:15 AM
No start in cold Aberrant Technology 1 February 22nd 05 03:38 AM