What's This Thing . . . ?

Old February 6th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
NickD

Default What's This Thing . . . ?

On my '93 4.0 Explorer XLT there is a black plastic oblong (or
sausage) shaped container of some sort on the passenger side of the
motor. It's about 10 inches long and 3-4 inches around and has what
appears to be hard plastic vacuum lines attached to it. It's pictured
in my cheapie Chilton's manual, but it's not identified anywhere I can
find.

Some of the vacuum lines (if that's what they are) are broken and
that's why I'm asking. This is a California truck if that matters and
it's a smog thing.

Thanks,

NickD

Old February 7th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
NickD

Here's a photo . . .

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...This_Thing.jpg

NickD

Old February 8th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On 7 Feb 2007 10:33:22 -0800, "NickD" > wrote:

>Here's a photo . . .
>
>http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...This_Thing.jpg
>
>NickD
>

>On Feb 6, 1:52 pm, "NickD" > wrote:
>> On my '93 4.0 Explorer XLT there is a black plastic oblong (or
>> sausage) shaped container of some sort on the passenger side of the
>> motor. It's about 10 inches long and 3-4 inches around and has what
>> appears to be hard plastic vacuum lines attached to it. It's pictured
>> in my cheapie Chilton's manual, but it's not identified anywhere I can
>> find.
>>
>> Some of the vacuum lines (if that's what they are) are broken and
>> that's why I'm asking. This is a California truck if that matters and
>> it's a smog thing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> NickD

It looks like a vacuum reservoir for the AC vacuum motors. So when
you floor it the ac doors don't all close due to lack of vacuum. If
the vacuum lines are broken that go to it then your AC system should
have problems sending air to the right places.
Old February 8th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
boomouse

On Feb 7, 5:52 am, "NickD" > wrote:
> On my '93 4.0 Explorer XLT there is a black plastic oblong (or
> sausage) shaped container of some sort on the passenger side of the
> motor. It's about 10 inches long and 3-4 inches around and has what
> appears to be hard plastic vacuum lines attached to it. It's pictured
> in my cheapie Chilton's manual, but it's not identified anywhere I can
> find.
>
> Some of the vacuum lines (if that's what they are) are broken and
> that's why I'm asking. This is a California truck if that matters and
> it's a smog thing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> NickD

That is the refrigerant dryer for your AC system. It contains silica
gel bags through which the 134a is circulated to absorb any moisture.
There are three pipes. The first two are similar in appearance and are
inlet and outlet for the refrigerant. The other is like an open pipe
with some kind of electrical sensor just before the can. That is your
AC thermostat. The open pipe is in fact a filling nipple for topping
up on refrigerant. I know all this because where I am this can costs
$120 to replace so with a little cutting and brazing I used a generic
dryer tank like what you'd find in any Japanese car. What do you know,
I worked!

Old February 9th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On 8 Feb 2007 07:04:01 -0800, "boomouse" > wrote:

>On Feb 7, 5:52 am, "NickD" > wrote:
>> On my '93 4.0 Explorer XLT there is a black plastic oblong (or
>> sausage) shaped container of some sort on the passenger side of the
>> motor. It's about 10 inches long and 3-4 inches around and has what
>> appears to be hard plastic vacuum lines attached to it. It's pictured
>> in my cheapie Chilton's manual, but it's not identified anywhere I can
>> find.
>>
>> Some of the vacuum lines (if that's what they are) are broken and
>> that's why I'm asking. This is a California truck if that matters and
>> it's a smog thing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> NickD

>That is the refrigerant dryer for your AC system. It contains silica
>gel bags through which the 134a is circulated to absorb any moisture.
>There are three pipes. The first two are similar in appearance and are
>inlet and outlet for the refrigerant. The other is like an open pipe
>with some kind of electrical sensor just before the can. That is your
>AC thermostat. The open pipe is in fact a filling nipple for topping
>up on refrigerant. I know all this because where I am this can costs
>$120 to replace so with a little cutting and brazing I used a generic
>dryer tank like what you'd find in any Japanese car. What do you know,
>I worked!

The thing he pointed to is not the refrigerant dryer. In his picture
the dryer is farther to the left and has wires going to the low
pressure switch. The thing he is pointing to is plastic and has
plastic vacuum lines connected to it (when they are not broken).