Stopping Immediately for Cop's Flashing Lights

Old August 10th 05, 11:22 AM
Dave Head

Default Stopping Immediately for Cop's Flashing Lights

Remember when we all talked about the people getting burned for not stopping
immediately when for a cop's flashing lights - sometime last year, I think, and
the cops on the forum were all saying, "Yeah, you gotta stop immediately, no
going down the road for safety or anything like that."

Just heard a Va. State cop on the TV saying, "Yeah, its OK to go to a
well-lighted or well traveled area" in response to a local cop impersonator
that is stopping people with flashing lights.

IOW, it is not _convenient_ for the cops to take this position, because they
know the next thing that is coming if someone gets raped or killed by some cop
impersonator is a state-wide ban on stopping people with anything but a
fully-visible marked police car - no more of these "inside the car, taped to
the dash" lights that anyone can get at an auto parts store. That sort of law
is just what happened in Ohio after a 1950's "Red light bandit" was robbing and
raping from his ordinary civilian car equipped with a red light. Now, no more
unmarked car stops in Ohio - the Ohio State Patrol just puts thousands of cars
on the road and conducts visibility campaigns, and intimidates everyone into
slowing down.

But, anyway, don't expect any consistency from the cops - if its convenient,
they'll nail you for not stopping "right now" if they turn on their flashy
lights, except when there's a public hieghtened awareness of a problem that is
inherently wrong with all these unmarked cars running around ambushing people
for the "horrible crime" (and lucrative racket) of "speeding", then its OK to
continue to drive if you aren't sure its really a cop (and if the cops know
that the next step is the removal of their precious right to sneak up on the
"heinous criminal speeders" and make millions of dollars doing it.)

Dave Head
Old August 10th 05, 09:02 PM
bc

The annoying thing is the drivers who stop that are GOING THE OPPOSITE
WAY of the cop car.

Figure THAT one out. I say it's abject fear of police. That's why no
one ever flashes their brights anymore at cars heading for a speed
trap.

Pathetic.

Old August 11th 05, 04:46 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On 10 Aug 2005 13:02:16 -0700, "bc" > wrote:

>The annoying thing is the drivers who stop that are GOING THE OPPOSITE
>WAY of the cop car.
>
>Figure THAT one out.

That's an easy one: it's the law.

Unless, of course, they are driving on a divided highway...

Old August 16th 05, 01:07 AM
Mark Levitski

I was racketered by an unmarked black limousine who ambushed me from behind
with ear-cracking sirene and awarding me with a $90 for not wearing
seatbelts. I was going at pedestrian speed or so (5-8mph) preparin gto
PARK. PARK OK?? Thats why no seatbelts in sweleterin gheat, I was about to
exit, goddamn Nazi Gestapo NYC unmarked police. I repeat I support my
Police and EVEN HAVE related sticker on my door ("support you rlocal
police"), but htese guys are aholes for robbing a part-time job income
student of $90 while someone breaking speed records on Henry Hudson Parkways
taling on a cell[phone, etc is ignored because I was an easy prey

Old August 16th 05, 02:23 PM
The Office Jet

I'm pretty sure I'd stop immediately if this thing was barreling down
on me with its lights flashing. No way I'm gonna keep driving and
scare someone driving this:
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/meris...y/c454233a.jpg

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Lights Flashing martinjavier Dodge 0 July 7th 05 05:58 AM
Flashing Brake Lights Ulf Driving 63 March 28th 05 08:19 PM
98 Ply Voyager - flashing cluster lights shardon Chrysler 1 March 22nd 05 08:31 PM
4X4 lights flashing updated version Searcher 1 Ford Explorer 9 March 3rd 05 02:43 PM