Lapping Sebring

Old November 24th 12, 01:32 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
News

Default Lapping Sebring

On 11/23/2012 6:19 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session of my
> 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRWoMTRwOc>
>
> Very different from driving at Laguna, I really loved the the "rhythm
> section" of corners immediately before the back straight.

Tough on the equipment though. The track surface was a broken-down mess
in the 1970s and the current incarnation (long or short course) seems no
better.
Old November 24th 12, 01:36 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Geof

"gpsman" wrote in message

On Nov 23, 6:19 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session of
> my
> 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.

>Congratulations, you're now among the most dangerous motorists; those
>who despite throwing what little education and training they have
>been
>afforded out the window manage to imagine they are excellent drivers,
>with a little racing education and training and practice with which
>massage their already grossly inflated egos and false senses of
>superior skill.

>I sincerely wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

Pretty brutal. First he couldn't start the car because it was in
gear, then he had it in reverse when he started. Hey, did you see the
guy that blew by him like he was standing still? It must have been
Sebastian Vettel slumming.

After watching for 4 minutes it put me to sleep. I drive my fun car
faster than that a few times a week on the street.

Old November 24th 12, 06:18 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Geof

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> maniacal OT x-posting left intact
>
> On Nov 23, 10:50 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > gpsman > wrote:
> >
> > > Congratulations, you're now among the most dangerous motorists;
> > > those
> > > who despite throwing what little education and training they
> > > have been
> > > afforded out the window manage to imagine they are excellent
> > > drivers,
> > > with a little racing education and training and practice with
> > > which to
> > > massage their already grossly inflated egos and false senses of
> > > superior skill.

> > Really? And you know this... ...how?

> Duh. $15K of driver education and training combined with ten years
> of
> reading of your attitude; your disdain for velocity, slower
> motorists,
> traffic code, traffic cameras, law enforcement, and your basic
> driver
> training.

>Where do you get $15K? I don't have a disdain for velocity or slower
>motorists, or for the traffic code.

> Skip Barber and similar schools aren't patronized by motorists who
> don't already believe they are excellent drivers, and their
> instructors have little motivation, if they had the time, to dispel
> those fallacious conclusions.

>LOL

>I have no idea what other drivers at Skip Barber think of their
>skills,
>but I don't think of my self as an excellent driver. I'm believe I'm
>reasonably competent, but no more.

>And the instructors aren't charged with dispelling anything. They are
>there to teach the skills and techniques necessary for one to go
>around
>a closed course as quickly as possible.

> Reckymember good ol' Motorhead Lawyer, the BMW "high-performance"
> instructor citing something like 25% of his students reported his
> training saved them within 2 weeks of "graduation" as evidence of
> the
> value of his instruction, while failing to recognize that as an
> unusually high number of occurrences of serious incident avoidance?

>Nope. I don't remember anything like that. For myself, if any of the
>skills I've been taught at Skip Barber had to be used in street
>driving
>to "save" me, I'd count that a failure.

> "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is perhaps no more true
> than
> when applied to motorists.

>LOL

>Yet you have no trouble trotting out your precious little knowledge
>of
>who I am and how I drive to draw conclusions from thin air.

> > > I sincerely wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

> > LOL

> You're unlucky the Dunning-Kruger effect isn't painful.

>But of course, you're immune!

There is no immune. You either got it or you don't. You got it.

>LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL

A peacock call?

Old November 24th 12, 08:09 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >, "Geof" >
wrote:

> "gpsman" wrote in message
>
> On Nov 23, 6:19 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session of
> > my
> > 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.

> >Congratulations, you're now among the most dangerous motorists; those
> >who despite throwing what little education and training they have
> >been
> >afforded out the window manage to imagine they are excellent drivers,
> >with a little racing education and training and practice with which
> >massage their already grossly inflated egos and false senses of
> >superior skill.

> >I sincerely wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

> Pretty brutal. First he couldn't start the car because it was in
> gear, then he had it in reverse when he started. Hey, did you see the
> guy that blew by him like he was standing still? It must have been
> Sebastian Vettel slumming.

Yup. The Skip Barber cars have a sequential box and sometimes it is
difficult to engage neutral.

And the guy who blew by me was on my out lap in a new car (they pulled
me out of one when it developed a mechanical issue) and so I was going
particularly slow as I worked out where the brake pedal bit and where
the throttle would be when I was hard on the brakes...

....and he was the guy who had finished second in the real driving
portion of GT Academy, having set a lap record at Silverstone.

<http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5577.html>

That's him third from the left in the top row.

> After watching for 4 minutes it put me to sleep. I drive my fun car
> faster than that a few times a week on the street.

You regularly drive at 120mph on the street? Where?

--
"The iPhone doesn't have...
....well, since Edwin seems to have finally crawled away for good,
Old November 24th 12, 08:10 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >, "Geof" >
wrote:

> > > LOL

> > You're unlucky the Dunning-Kruger effect isn't painful.

> >But of course, you're immune!

> There is no immune. You either got it or you don't. You got it.

And of course you believe you don't...

LOL

> >LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL

> A peacock call?

LOL

Old November 24th 12, 08:11 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >, News > wrote:

> On 11/23/2012 6:19 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> > For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session of my
> > 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.
> >
> > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRWoMTRwOc>
> >
> > Very different from driving at Laguna, I really loved the the "rhythm
> > section" of corners immediately before the back straight.
> >

> Tough on the equipment though. The track surface was a broken-down mess
> in the 1970s and the current incarnation (long or short course) seems no
> better.

Honestly, it didn't seem that bad. Yes, the surface was rough, but it
wasn't jar your teeth out rough.

Old November 24th 12, 08:54 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
News

On 11/24/2012 3:11 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article >, News > wrote:
>
>> On 11/23/2012 6:19 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
>>> For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session of my
>>> 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.
>>>
>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRWoMTRwOc>
>>>
>>> Very different from driving at Laguna, I really loved the the "rhythm
>>> section" of corners immediately before the back straight.
>>>

>> Tough on the equipment though. The track surface was a broken-down mess
>> in the 1970s and the current incarnation (long or short course) seems no
>> better.

> Honestly, it didn't seem that bad. Yes, the surface was rough, but it
> wasn't jar your teeth out rough.

Tell that to the Heim joints.
Old November 24th 12, 08:58 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >, News > wrote:

> On 11/24/2012 3:11 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

> >> Tough on the equipment though. The track surface was a broken-down mess
> >> in the 1970s and the current incarnation (long or short course) seems no
> >> better.

> > Honestly, it didn't seem that bad. Yes, the surface was rough, but it
> > wasn't jar your teeth out rough.
> >

> Tell that to the Heim joints.

Good point...

:-)

Old November 24th 12, 10:17 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Geof

"Alan Baker" wrote in message

In article >, "Geof" >
wrote:

> "gpsman" wrote in message
>
> On Nov 23, 6:19 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session
> > of
> > my
> > 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.

> >Congratulations, you're now among the most dangerous motorists;
> >those
> >who despite throwing what little education and training they have
> >been
> >afforded out the window manage to imagine they are excellent
> >drivers,
> >with a little racing education and training and practice with which
> >massage their already grossly inflated egos and false senses of
> >superior skill.

> >I sincerely wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

> Pretty brutal. First he couldn't start the car because it was in
> gear, then he had it in reverse when he started. Hey, did you see
> the
> guy that blew by him like he was standing still? It must have been
> Sebastian Vettel slumming.

>Yup. The Skip Barber cars have a sequential box and sometimes it is
>difficult to engage neutral.

>And the guy who blew by me was on my out lap in a new car (they
>pulled
>me out of one when it developed a mechanical issue) and so I was
>going
>particularly slow as I worked out where the brake pedal bit and where
>the throttle would be when I was hard on the brakes...

>...and he was the guy who had finished second in the real driving

portion of GT Academy, having set a lap record at Silverstone.

<http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5577.html>

>That's him third from the left in the top row.

> After watching for 4 minutes it put me to sleep. I drive my fun car
> faster than that a few times a week on the street.

>You regularly drive at 120mph on the street? Where?

NC 28, and I blip it up to 180.

Old November 24th 12, 10:23 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >, "Geof" >
wrote:

> "Alan Baker" wrote in message
>
> In article >, "Geof" >
> wrote:
>
> > "gpsman" wrote in message
> >
> > On Nov 23, 6:19 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > > For those who are interested, here's me driving the last session
> > > of
> > > my
> > > 2-day advanced formula car school at Skip Barber, Sebring.

> > >Congratulations, you're now among the most dangerous motorists;
> > >those
> > >who despite throwing what little education and training they have
> > >been
> > >afforded out the window manage to imagine they are excellent
> > >drivers,
> > >with a little racing education and training and practice with which
> > >massage their already grossly inflated egos and false senses of
> > >superior skill.

> > >I sincerely wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

> > Pretty brutal. First he couldn't start the car because it was in
> > gear, then he had it in reverse when he started. Hey, did you see
> > the
> > guy that blew by him like he was standing still? It must have been
> > Sebastian Vettel slumming.

> >Yup. The Skip Barber cars have a sequential box and sometimes it is
> >difficult to engage neutral.

> >And the guy who blew by me was on my out lap in a new car (they
> >pulled
> >me out of one when it developed a mechanical issue) and so I was
> >going
> >particularly slow as I worked out where the brake pedal bit and where
> >the throttle would be when I was hard on the brakes...

> >...and he was the guy who had finished second in the real driving

> portion of GT Academy, having set a lap record at Silverstone.
>
> <http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5577.html>
>
> >That's him third from the left in the top row.

> > After watching for 4 minutes it put me to sleep. I drive my fun car
> > faster than that a few times a week on the street.

> >You regularly drive at 120mph on the street? Where?

> NC 28, and I blip it up to 180.

Then you are worse than a fool: you are endangering lives.

Furthermore, there's no particular skill in stepping on an accelerator
pedal.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have...
....well, since Edwin seems to have finally crawled away for good,
I guess I'll let him off the hook

sebring door handle on 2001 Sebring [email protected] Chrysler 2 July 30th 08 03:03 PM
Sebring Zinc[_2_] Auto Photos 0 March 17th 08 08:26 AM
Reposted old, lousy scans - better than babble from the resident coward: 1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi Coupe, Cirrus LXi, Sebring JXi Convertible Frt Qtr.jpg 148921 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 8th 06 12:17 PM
Reposted old, lousy scans - better than babble from the resident coward: 1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi Convertible, Cirrus LXi, Sebring LXi Coupe White Frt Qtr.jpg 157441 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 8th 06 12:17 PM
valve lapping how-to supafly Technology 18 May 30th 06 03:32 AM