Multi-way stops: Are we too simple-minded to handle them legally?

Old November 17th 12, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Multi-way stops: Are we too simple-minded to handle them legally?

I recently perused the drivers manuals for several states regarding intersections controlled by two or more stopsigns.

And except for a few small differences, they all agree on one point:

"Yield to the vehicle stopped to your right."

So if, say, at a 4-way stop, first come is NOT first go, how is the above, in quotes, enforced?

Recently I arrived at a 4-way a split-sec ahead of another driver(to my right). And even though I repeatedly flicked my highbeams, honked, and even rolled down my window to wave him through, he just sat there, shaking his head, until I proceeded. By then we both had a small queue of vehicles stacking up on our rear bumpers.
Old November 17th 12, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

> wrote in message
I recently perused the drivers manuals for several states regarding
intersections controlled by two or more stopsigns.

And except for a few small differences, they all agree on one point:

"Yield to the vehicle stopped to your right."

So if, say, at a 4-way stop, first come is NOT first go, how is the above,
in quotes, enforced?

Recently I arrived at a 4-way a split-sec ahead of another driver(to my
right). And even though I repeatedly flicked my highbeams, honked, and even
rolled down my window to wave him through, he just sat there, shaking his
head, until I proceeded. By then we both had a small queue of vehicles
stacking up on our rear bumpers.

*** If (both cars stop at the same time) { yield to car stopped on the
right } else { first car that is stopped is the first car that goes) }

Old November 17th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K[_2_]

On Nov 16, 7:21*pm, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:
> > wrote in message

> I recently perused the drivers manuals for several states regarding
> intersections controlled by two or more stopsigns.
>
> And except for a few small differences, they all agree on one point:
>
> "Yield to the vehicle stopped to your right."
>
> So if, say, at a 4-way stop, first come is NOT first go, how is the above,
> in quotes, enforced?
>
> Recently I arrived at a 4-way a split-sec ahead of another driver(to my
> right). *And even though I repeatedly flicked my highbeams, honked, and even
> rolled down my window to wave him through, he just sat there, shaking his
> head, until I proceeded. *By then we both had a small queue of vehicles
> stacking up on our rear bumpers.
>
> *** If (both cars stop at the same time) { yield to car stopped on the
> right } else { first car that is stopped is the first car that goes) }

Yep. Also when a stoplight is not working, treat the intersection as
a 4-way stop. I recently arrived as number 3 at a light that had jsut
changed to red. And we waited, and waited and waited. The light had
obviously malfunctioned but there was only one car that finally went
when the traffice was backed p almost 2 blocks.

Light finallyi changed to green a bit later.

Harry K
Old November 17th 12, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Friday, November 16, 2012 10:21:30 PM UTC-5, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

> *** If (both cars stop at the same time) { yield to car stopped on the
>
> right } else { first car that is stopped is the first car that goes) }

___________
OK, you're going to have to shoot that at me again - this time at grade-school level.

If I read it right, are you saying that "yield to car stopped on the right" applies only in cases where both vehicles arrived at Stop sign at the same time?

Otherwise if I got there first, I'm supposed to go before he/she does?

Help!

Old November 17th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K[_2_]

On Nov 17, 6:01*am, wrote:
> On Friday, November 16, 2012 10:21:30 PM UTC-5, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>
> > *** If (both cars stop at the same time) { yield to car stopped on the

> > right } else { first car that is stopped is the first car that goes) }

> ___________
> OK, you're going to have to shoot that at me again - this time at grade-school level.
>
> If I read it right, are *you saying that "yield to car stopped on the right" applies only in cases where both vehicles arrived at Stop sign at the same time?
>
> Otherwise if I got there first, I'm supposed to go before he/she does?
>
> Help!

That is correct.

Harry K
Old November 17th 12, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K[_2_]

On Nov 17, 6:01*am, wrote:
> On Friday, November 16, 2012 10:21:30 PM UTC-5, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>
> > *** If (both cars stop at the same time) { yield to car stopped on the

> > right } else { first car that is stopped is the first car that goes) }

> ___________
> OK, you're going to have to shoot that at me again - this time at grade-school level.
>
> If I read it right, are *you saying that "yield to car stopped on the right" applies only in cases where both vehicles arrived at Stop sign at the same time?
>
> Otherwise if I got there first, I'm supposed to go before he/she does?
>
> Help!

It is correct. "first come, first served" "If two arrive at same
time, yield to one on the right"

Harry K
Old November 17th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Thanks Harry.

I was born with comprehension problems that you probably couldn't begin to comprehend(!) So I do appreciate efforts on here to clarify things for me.

So no longer will I be waving on every driver who reaches a stop sign to my right(either before or after me).

You've just made that part of driving infinitely easier for me.
Old November 18th 12, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
None

> wrote in message
> Are we too simple-minded to handle them?

Well, you are, of course.

Old November 20th 12, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

None:

If you can't give decent answers as have Rouse Jr. and Harry K than butt out. And run for political office - your bashing others skills will be quite useful in a campaign!
Old November 20th 12, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
None

> wrote in message
> None:
>
> If you can't give decent answers as have Rouse Jr. and Harry K than
> butt out.

Nope. **** you ****stain.You seem to think you
have some authority. Wrong as usual, spermbreath.