NHTSA investigating Ford F150 fuel tank straps - recall coming?

Old September 14th 10, 02:37 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

Default NHTSA investigating Ford F150 fuel tank straps - recall coming?

NHTSA investigating Ford F150 fuel tank straps - recall coming?
September 13th, 2010 2:58 pm ET
Patrick Rall
Detroit Autos Examiner

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched an
investigation to decide whether 1997-2001 Ford F150s should be recalled over
concerns with corrosion on the fuel tank straps. Evidently, there have been
32 reported cases where the metal straps holding the fuel tank up have
rusted to an extreme point. In 28 of these cases, one or both of the straps
broke but not a single injury, fire or other serious issue was caused by the
aging fuel tank straps failing. If the NHTSA decides that a recall is
necessary, it could impact roughly 1.4 million trucks.

When these metal straps corrode badly enough, the straps will break and
allow the fuel tank to sag. If both straps fail (which they often do when
one fails), the fuel tank can drop from under the vehicle; posing an obvious
safety risk if you are dragging a container full of gas under your truck
..
I understand that the NHTSA has to check up on things like this, thanks to
Toyota's refusal to acknowledge problems that cost some of their consumers
their lives. However, we are talking about trucks that are generally driven
year-round and metal gas tank straps are going to rust over time. When
working as a mechanic, I lost track of how frequently we replaced tank
straps on all sorts of vehicles (both imports and domestics) and within the
last year, I replaced the straps on one of my Dodge Rams.

When you drive a car or truck through the winter and are bombarding the
undercarriage with road salt, metal components are going to rust. If the
NHTSA requires Ford to recall these F150s due to rust on the fuel tank
straps, it opens a massive can of worms as all sorts of items are going to
rust as the vehicles grow older. This isn't an issue isolated just to Ford,
so will the NHTSA require other companies to replace the tank straps on
vehicles that are as old as the trucks being investigated?

http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-det...-recall-coming

Old September 14th 10, 11:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

On 9/14/2010 9:37 AM, C. E. White wrote:
> NHTSA investigating Ford F150 fuel tank straps - recall coming?
> September 13th, 2010 2:58 pm ET
> Patrick Rall
> Detroit Autos Examiner
>
> The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched an
> investigation to decide whether 1997-2001 Ford F150s should be recalled over
> concerns with corrosion on the fuel tank straps. Evidently, there have been
> 32 reported cases where the metal straps holding the fuel tank up have
> rusted to an extreme point. In 28 of these cases, one or both of the straps
> broke but not a single injury, fire or other serious issue was caused by the
> aging fuel tank straps failing. If the NHTSA decides that a recall is
> necessary, it could impact roughly 1.4 million trucks.
>
> When these metal straps corrode badly enough, the straps will break and
> allow the fuel tank to sag. If both straps fail (which they often do when
> one fails), the fuel tank can drop from under the vehicle; posing an obvious
> safety risk if you are dragging a container full of gas under your truck
> .
> I understand that the NHTSA has to check up on things like this, thanks to
> Toyota's refusal to acknowledge problems that cost some of their consumers
> their lives. However, we are talking about trucks that are generally driven
> year-round and metal gas tank straps are going to rust over time. When
> working as a mechanic, I lost track of how frequently we replaced tank
> straps on all sorts of vehicles (both imports and domestics) and within the
> last year, I replaced the straps on one of my Dodge Rams.
>
> When you drive a car or truck through the winter and are bombarding the
> undercarriage with road salt, metal components are going to rust. If the
> NHTSA requires Ford to recall these F150s due to rust on the fuel tank
> straps, it opens a massive can of worms as all sorts of items are going to
> rust as the vehicles grow older. This isn't an issue isolated just to Ford,
> so will the NHTSA require other companies to replace the tank straps on
> vehicles that are as old as the trucks being investigated?
>
> http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-det...-recall-coming

What about the brake lines?
Old September 15th 10, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
SC Tom[_2_]

"Steve Austin" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 9/14/2010 9:37 AM, C. E. White wrote:
>> NHTSA investigating Ford F150 fuel tank straps - recall coming?
>> September 13th, 2010 2:58 pm ET
>> Patrick Rall
>> Detroit Autos Examiner
>>
>> The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched an
>> investigation to decide whether 1997-2001 Ford F150s should be recalled
>> over
>> concerns with corrosion on the fuel tank straps. Evidently, there have
>> been
>> 32 reported cases where the metal straps holding the fuel tank up have
>> rusted to an extreme point. In 28 of these cases, one or both of the
>> straps
>> broke but not a single injury, fire or other serious issue was caused by
>> the
>> aging fuel tank straps failing. If the NHTSA decides that a recall is
>> necessary, it could impact roughly 1.4 million trucks.
>>
>> When these metal straps corrode badly enough, the straps will break and
>> allow the fuel tank to sag. If both straps fail (which they often do when
>> one fails), the fuel tank can drop from under the vehicle; posing an
>> obvious
>> safety risk if you are dragging a container full of gas under your truck
>> .
>> I understand that the NHTSA has to check up on things like this, thanks
>> Toyota's refusal to acknowledge problems that cost some of their
>> consumers
>> their lives. However, we are talking about trucks that are generally
>> driven
>> year-round and metal gas tank straps are going to rust over time. When
>> working as a mechanic, I lost track of how frequently we replaced tank
>> straps on all sorts of vehicles (both imports and domestics) and within
>> the
>> last year, I replaced the straps on one of my Dodge Rams.
>>
>> When you drive a car or truck through the winter and are bombarding the
>> undercarriage with road salt, metal components are going to rust. If the
>> NHTSA requires Ford to recall these F150s due to rust on the fuel tank
>> straps, it opens a massive can of worms as all sorts of items are going
>> rust as the vehicles grow older. This isn't an issue isolated just to
>> Ford,
>> so will the NHTSA require other companies to replace the tank straps on
>> vehicles that are as old as the trucks being investigated?
>>
>> http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-det...-recall-coming
>>

> What about the brake lines?

I think that's along the line of what Ed was suggesting, and it's a very
good point. Do I get my '55 Chevy Impala rusted out front fenders replaced
for free because the headlights were falling out? If the NHTSA doesn't thing
THAT'S a safety issue, let them drive down a rural country road at night
while it's raining and turn out the lights. And that was when the car was
only 7 or 8 years old :-)

If nothing else, a few lawsuits like that would certainly force the
companies to have even better rust control than they already have, with the
inevitable consumer price increase.
--
SC Tom

Old September 15th 10, 01:19 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
SC Tom[_2_]

"SC Tom" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>> rust as the vehicles grow older. This isn't an issue isolated just to
>>> Ford,
>>> so will the NHTSA require other companies to replace the tank straps on
>>> vehicles that are as old as the trucks being investigated?
>>>
>>> http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-det...-recall-coming
>>>

>> What about the brake lines?

> I think that's along the line of what Ed was suggesting, and it's a very
> good point. Do I get my '55 Chevy Impala rusted out front fenders replaced
> for free because the headlights were falling out? If the NHTSA doesn't
> thing THAT'S a safety issue, let them drive down a rural country road at
> night while it's raining and turn out the lights. And that was when the
> car was only 7 or 8 years old :-)
>
> If nothing else, a few lawsuits like that would certainly force the
> companies to have even better rust control than they already have, with

That should be "doesn't think" instead of "doesn't thing." Fingers moving
faster than they're capable of again :-)

Old September 17th 10, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Big Red Truck

On 09/14/2010 09:37 AM, C. E. White wrote:
> NHTSA investigating Ford F150 fuel tank straps - recall coming?
> September 13th, 2010 2:58 pm ET
> Patrick Rall
> Detroit Autos Examiner
>
> The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched an
> investigation to decide whether 1997-2001 Ford F150s should be recalled over
> concerns with corrosion on the fuel tank straps. Evidently, there have been
> 32 reported cases where the metal straps holding the fuel tank up have
> rusted to an extreme point. In 28 of these cases, one or both of the straps
> broke but not a single injury, fire or other serious issue was caused by the
> aging fuel tank straps failing. If the NHTSA decides that a recall is
> necessary, it could impact roughly 1.4 million trucks.
>
> When these metal straps corrode badly enough, the straps will break and
> allow the fuel tank to sag. If both straps fail (which they often do when
> one fails), the fuel tank can drop from under the vehicle; posing an obvious
> safety risk if you are dragging a container full of gas under your truck
> .
> I understand that the NHTSA has to check up on things like this, thanks to
> Toyota's refusal to acknowledge problems that cost some of their consumers
> their lives. However, we are talking about trucks that are generally driven
> year-round and metal gas tank straps are going to rust over time. When
> working as a mechanic, I lost track of how frequently we replaced tank
> straps on all sorts of vehicles (both imports and domestics) and within the
> last year, I replaced the straps on one of my Dodge Rams.
>
> When you drive a car or truck through the winter and are bombarding the
> undercarriage with road salt, metal components are going to rust. If the
> NHTSA requires Ford to recall these F150s due to rust on the fuel tank
> straps, it opens a massive can of worms as all sorts of items are going to
> rust as the vehicles grow older. This isn't an issue isolated just to Ford,
> so will the NHTSA require other companies to replace the tank straps on
> vehicles that are as old as the trucks being investigated?
>
> http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-det...-recall-coming

My 1993 F-150 XL is a Central Florida truck, never been near the salt
water beaches, or up North.

My 1994 F-150 XLT was owned by someone who lived on the Atlantic Coast
of Florida. Has to get a new front bumper, hood. I clean the frame
rails, and all parts, like the tank straps, during the first inspection.

Frame rails get paint. Tanks straps are checked for any damage, and then
they are re-attached, unless they need replacement.

I pulled their tanks, and they are cleaned, inspected, including the
straps, about once after my purchasing them, and then, every year I do
an underbody inspection of my vehicles.

Yes, some of the brake lines needed replacement, on the rear end of both
trucks, due to simple pinholes under some small rust. The new lines got
painted, shiny black, after install.

It is all part of making sure they remain reliable and trustworthy.

Part of the trouble about finding rust or corrosion on our vehicles, is
that the majority don't really get any inspection, because the owners
don't know, and the mechanics haven't any time.

If the dealers or shops listed an annual inspection on the menu, most
folks would not pay for it!

I even see many commercial owner driver Semi trucks with the spring
perches almost falling off, due to loose bolts/nuts, whenever I get to
truck-stops!

I am retired USAF, and I believe in PMIs (Preventive Maintenance
Inspections)! At the least, annual scheduled PMIs!
Old September 19th 10, 11:06 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
DogDiesel

"Big Red Truck" > wrote in message
g.com...
> [...]

> underbody inspection of my vehicles.
>
> Yes, some of the brake lines needed replacement, on the rear end of both
> trucks, due to simple pinholes under some small rust. The new lines got
> painted, shiny black, after install.
>
> It is all part of making sure they remain reliable and trustworthy.
>
> Part of the trouble about finding rust or corrosion on our vehicles, is
> that the majority don't really get any inspection, because the owners
> don't know, and the mechanics haven't any time.
>
> If the dealers or shops listed an annual inspection on the menu, most
> folks would not pay for it!
>
> I even see many commercial owner driver Semi trucks with the spring
> perches almost falling off, due to loose bolts/nuts, whenever I get to
> truck-stops!
>
> I am retired USAF, and I believe in PMIs (Preventive Maintenance
> Inspections)! At the least, annual scheduled PMIs!

Well, cars and trucks dont fall out of the sky. And dont cost millions a
piece . And most people short of AC mechanics dont know what pm is.

Old September 19th 10, 03:44 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Jim Warman

Annual? Every 3000 miles or 3 months you should be changing the oil on your
vehicle. While you are under there is an ideal time to check all manner of
things. Disc brakes - oil leaks - loose/missing bolts. Every third oil
change is a good time to rotate tires and you can check ball joints - tie
rod ends - drum brakes.... These things are machines - they aren't "ol'
Betsy" who will never let you down - they are machines that will kill you in
a ****ing heartbeat if you negelect proper service and inspections.

Too many people think that proper maintenance includes driving from one
breakdown to the next and far too many people wait for problems to announce
themselves.

My duties include government mandated safety inspections. You can bet your
ass that at least half the vehicles I inspect have a flagrant concern as
outlined in the criteria I must adhere to. This would be a problem that the
vehicle owner should have addressed long before I saw the vehicle.

You can also bet your ass that about one third of the owners will get mad at
me because their vehicle will not pass the inspection and one in ten owners
will expect me to "blue pencil" the certificate (issue a compliance
certificate without even looking at the vehicle).

FWIW, the criteria I must follow is very clear in what will pass and what
wont. The printed manual leaves nothing for personal interpretation.

Old September 19th 10, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

On 9/19/10 10:44 AM, Jim Warman wrote:
> Annual? Every 3000 miles or 3 months you should be changing the oil on your
> vehicle.

Wrong. You should change our oil according to the vehicle makers
recommendations. For most vehicles, that is at least 5000 mi. Unless the
truck is used only for short trips and used often for them, there is no
need to change the oil every 3 months.

For example, a 2005 Ford F-250 with normal service and 12,000 mi a year
only requires oil changes, according to Ford, once every 5,000 mi.

Old September 19th 10, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Mike

According to Fords warranty manual the latest interval, for the recommended
semi synthetic oil change, are 7,500 miles OR six months WOF.