Pls help non-Ford person locate starter solenoid?

Old June 6th 10, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
bobmct

Default Pls help non-Ford person locate starter solenoid?

Fordies;

My SIL asked me for help but I'm having trouble finding this on his
'04 explorer 4L V6.

Where is the starter solenoid located? I thought Fords were mounted
on the wheel well separate from the starter. If not, where? When
might this have changed?

Thanks
Old June 6th 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

The starter solenoid is part of the starter.... The starter relay is in the
battery junction box (also called power distribution box) mounted under the
hood. If he goes to page 193 in his owner guide, he will see that the relay
is marked number 56 in the diagram. Either of these rarely give any trouble.

Note that fuse 12 in the BJB (50 amp) protects the starter solenoid while
fuse 29 in the central junction box (under the dash - 10 amp) protects the
neutral start switch.

FWIW, this has been Fords way of doing it for a long time, now.