88 Spider Gearbox crunching

Old February 18th 05, 07:25 AM
John

Default 88 Spider Gearbox crunching

Hi,

I just bought my first spider and although all seems well when I change up
to second gear I always get crunch when I change to 2nd gear, unless I drop
the revs to nothing.

Also only when cold when cruising in 5th if I come off the accelerator it
drops out of 5th and into neutral.

Does this sound terminal to the more mechanically minded of you out there.

Cheers

Old February 18th 05, 05:28 PM
Catman

John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just bought my first spider and although all seems well when I change up
> to second gear I always get crunch when I change to 2nd gear, unless I
> drop the revs to nothing.

Altogether now:
'They *all* do that, sir'

Seriously, they do. Two options: Synchro re-build or learn to double
de-clutch

> Also only when cold when cruising in 5th if I come off the accelerator it
> drops out of 5th and into neutral.
>
> Does this sound terminal to the more mechanically minded of you out there.

No, but that does sound like it needs attention. While the box is out, get
the 2nd gear done as well. In fact, just get a box re-build. You'll be
glad you did

Welcome to Alfas BTW

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 18th 05, 07:51 PM
alfistagj

Catman,
I couldn't have made it more clear myself.........
Indeed, welcome to Alfa!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Catman" > schreef in bericht

Old February 18th 05, 08:31 PM
Catman

alfistagj wrote:

> Catman,
> I couldn't have made it more clear myself.........
> Indeed, welcome to Alfa!

Yay me I got it right
Old February 19th 05, 11:31 AM
John

Thanks for everyones help, looks like I might need to save up for some work
to be done.

2.4JTD Gearbox Nick Alfa Romeo 1 January 18th 05 10:06 PM
2.4JTD Gearbox Nick Evans Alfa Romeo 0 January 17th 05 11:35 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM
child seat for an alfa spider veloce hhatza Alfa Romeo 2 August 30th 04 07:37 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM