Frontend Height issues, lowering?

Old September 3rd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Default Frontend Height issues, lowering?

Once again, I am baffled.. always need more help. If anyone could help
me out, here is my new situation. I bought a 69 Bug, it's the one with
the loose VIN tag problem. This Bug is so high off the ground, it's a
beast. My 1960 has 2.5 drop spindles and the fender rides at the top
of the tire. A 2.5 drop spindle wouldn't touch this bug. Can you tell
from my picture below why it is so high. I thought it was the KYB Gas-
adjust-shocks.. the first picture is without a shock at all. I removed
it, it didn't lower an inch. The PO has huge sway bars on the front
and rear, is this the problem? I'd be happy at this point to simply
get it to stock height. It is not an adjustable beam from what I can
tell eighter. I'm tempted to say maybe the beam is narrowed though?
Any help appreciated, thanks. Is this a ball joint front end? (The sad
part is that the rear is just as high, but no engine in it right now)

http://www.geocities.com/auctions338/IMG_1304.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/auctions338/IMG_1306.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/auctions338/IMG_1305.JPG

Old September 3rd 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Ok, so I turned the 60 around to compare my 60 with 2.5 drop spindles
to this 69.

http://www.geocities.com/auctions338/IMG_1312.JPG

Old September 4th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Everyone must be cooking hotdogs and hamburgers for "Labor Day".. I've
been sitting here hanging for hours.

Old September 4th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Yes thats a ball joint front end.. Does look a little high. But however
you dont have any shocks on it. It doesnt look like a narrowed beam. Put
some stock shocks on it and it may be back to normal. The front end is
pretty "springy" meaning it moves up and down easily with out the shocks
huh? I dont think the big sway bar has anything to do with it. and the
rear will sit high with no engine in it.... like my 69 did with no engine...

http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69wagen285.jpg

--
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen

Old September 4th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan

On Sep 4, 7:15 am, Andrew > wrote:
> The PO has huge sway bars on the front and rear, is this the problem?

No, unless the sway bars are hung up on something outside the pics
they only make sure the two sides move up/down together. If you can
bounce the front end, then then sway bars are not the cause.

> It is not an adjustable beam from what I can tell eighter. I'm tempted to say maybe the beam is narrowed though?

I can see the middle grub screw in the top torsion tube so it's
unlikely your beam is adjustable. Unless your lower beam has a
different center section than the top tube, you are probably okay. It
doesn't look like the shock towers are that much closer to the body so
it may not be narrowed either (hard to tell from the pics).

Can you bounce the front end? You could have frozen/rusted trailing
arms or frozen ball joints.

What is in your trunk? If you've removed your gas tank that could
account for some of your additional height. A full gas tank adds a
good bit of weight to the front.

AshMan40

Old September 4th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Yes, I can bounce on it. I stood on the t-handle bumper things. I
tried that after taking the one shock off, and it was no different
with or without the shock according to bounce. Would a stock shock
force it to lower? Maybe it it still high because the other shock is
on? I only removed one front shock.

Old September 4th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Thanks.

Yes, I can bounce on it. I stood on the t-bar bumper and jumped up and
down. I
tried that after taking the one shock off, and it was no different
with or without the shock according to bounce. Would a stock shock
force it to lower? I have both shocks removed. Does a Ball joint front
end ride higher thank linkpin? On the 60 with a 2.5 drop spindle
discs, I have 2 1/4 gap from the tire. This 69 has 6 inches right now.
165r15 tires. Now my 60 has 185/65/15.

Old September 5th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

The suspension height seems ok.
The shocks won't make it sit lower.
Could you send pictures of the whole car from the side?

Was this car store with the front wheels in the air for a long time? The
spring leaves may have un-set and making the suspension sit a bit higher. If
you drive it for a while it will set again a bit lower, but don't expect it
to get lower than 1-1.5cm.

The wing curve looks like it doesn't match properly to the wheel.

Do you have the spare wheel and gas tank in the front? These will make the
front sit lower.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

ups.com...

Old September 6th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Thanks, here's a side shot.

http://www.geocities.com/auctions338/bug.jpg

The spare and tank is installed.

Old September 6th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

I'd like to add an extra question.. Drop spindles. expensive. Removing
a leaf, deadly. Adjustable beams costly, and alot of work.. what are
these adjusters?? Will they work, and are they a fairly easy install?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D4032