VW THING

Old January 3rd 05, 06:40 AM

Default VW THING

Jade7773 wrote:
> Hi
> i am 15 and am interested in a VW thing. My birthday is in October

and what my
> plan is, (if everything goes as planned), is to buy this VW Thing

that this guy
> ownes near me. He doesnt drive it and its windshield is spiderwebbed,

(broken).
> What do all you VW gurus think about a Thing as a first car for a

guy who
> likes the general cars VW produced and to fix cars. i think it is a

'74 it has
> a white with blue stripes paint scheme and a hard top. I am thinking

about
> painting it Lemon Yellow. So anyway what do you all think about

this.

Old January 4th 05, 11:42 AM
Busman

My first car was a 74 Thing back in 1979. As long as you don't treat it too
rough and do the maintenance on it, they're fine first cars. You will most
likely get tagged for higher insurance rates at your age and it being a
convertible.
Andy

oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 02:02 AM
Ed B

>> Hi
>> i am 15 and am interested in a VW thing. My birthday is in October

> and what my
>> plan is, (if everything goes as planned), is to buy this VW Thing

> that this guy
>> ownes near me. He doesnt drive it and its windshield is spiderwebbed,

> (broken).
>> What do all you VW gurus think about a Thing as a first car for a

> guy who
>> likes the general cars VW produced and to fix cars. i think it is a

> '74 it has
>> a white with blue stripes paint scheme and a hard top. I am thinking

> about
>> painting it Lemon Yellow. So anyway what do you all think about

> this.

Double check the year, there are quite a few differences between the '73 and
'74. I own a '73 and can say, only buy it if you are willing to work on it
every few days, and delve into the learning curve. Also be aware that while
it's a similar car to the Bug and other VW's it is a different animal, and
it is more difficult to get some parts.

Old January 6th 05, 02:19 AM
Busman

The Thing will be very fond of your wallet too. Parts pricing is usually
much higher than same year Bugs. I was all set to get another one about 10
years ago. 2 weeks before I was to go pick it up in Georgia, my Brother ran
it under the back of a flatbed semi-trailer at 5am while on his way to work.
Trailer had no lights or reflectors. Needless to say, the Thing lost that
encounter as did my Brother. I had a pretty nasty altercation with a
Maverick in my Thing back in 1981. Knocked the rear bumper of the Maverick
into it's back seat. No one wearing seat belts and no one injured though my
Brother (the same one) left a nice faceprint on the windshield when he broke
it. Drove the Thing from Magee, Mississippi to Mexico Beach, Florida the
same day. Not the greatest ride but we made it. Took 3 weeks in a body shop
to get it repaired. They're fun cars but they have special needs.
Andy

news:1104976945.310f681110ac80e63c826b57c4219d03@t eranews...