squeek in the steering

Old November 15th 05, 10:27 AM
duffy

Default squeek in the steering

hi, newbie to VW and have fallen in love with my '78 LHD bay, however 6
months on the squeek from my sterring is starting to get to me.

it starts straight away and fades when turning, goes up in pitch when
going faster then fades with time!!! But later comes back when
turning, usually on long runs over 100 miles or so.

can anyone help me, it's loud over the stereo and my partner loves the
bus but puts on a brave face about the squealling banshee coming from
underneath.

thanks

Old November 15th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

duffy wrote:

> hi, newbie to VW and have fallen in love with my '78 LHD bay, however 6
> months on the squeek from my sterring is starting to get to me.
>
> it starts straight away and fades when turning, goes up in pitch when
> going faster then fades with time!!! But later comes back when
> turning, usually on long runs over 100 miles or so.
>

> can anyone help me, it's loud over the stereo and my partner loves the
> bus but puts on a brave face about the squealling banshee coming from
> underneath.
>

> thanks

Let me get this correct:
"something" squeaks merely driving straight ahead, not turning the
steering.

Then, the sound dies out after driving a ways but comes back after
turning the steering.

Right?

The disc brakes can make an 'orrible squeaking if they drag just
a bit on the rotors. That would be my first guess.

Since you haven't had it long, I think a thorough inspection
of the brakes and frt wheel bearings is in order.
The pads should be checked for wear and the calipers for
freedom of movement-those caliper pistons are known to freeze
up after almost 30 years of service :-)

Welcome to the world of VWs!

Bookmark this:
http://www.type2.com/
(Plenty of great tech articles there. Should keep you both off the
street corners for a few evenings...)

Speedy Jim (who greatly misses his '78 LHD Bay :-(
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 21st 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

it had a full body resto 3 years ago, the squeeking starts when drving
ahead then goes when turning, give it a while and it switches. theres
no pulling and weve done over 7000km in 6 months and the breaks don't
warm on long runs!!!
we live with it, thanks for the advice i'll be checking it this
weekend,

cheers

Civic 97 --- falining power steering Agent Smith Honda 2 November 13th 05 02:11 PM
VW Brasilia Oilchange/Sloppy shifter Simon Putz VW air cooled 2 May 19th 05 02:52 PM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM