2006 Jetta VS Honda Accord

Old September 4th 05, 10:52 PM
cnuheymikey

Default 2006 Jetta VS Honda Accord

I'm in the market for a new car and really enjoy the interior of the new
Jetta and would like a manual trans. in it. I've read online alot of
reliability concerns about the Jetta. How much of these are concerning the
2006??

I hear the Honda Accord is more reliable yet I like the styling of the
Jetta much better. Can anyone help me out here?

Old September 5th 05, 01:34 AM
Woodchuck

reliability, too early to say since it's only been out a few months. But so
far they been good with only a few minor bugs.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 5th 05, 04:17 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Woodchuck > wrote:
>reliability, too early to say since it's only been out a few months. But so
>far they been good with only a few minor bugs.

LOL! I AM reading between the lines on this one. :-)

VW parts generally have not changed in design since the starting of the
watercooled days. IMO, the issue with reliability comes to question when
the newer cars get heavier and out spec the old designed parts. This
will create premature wear issues as the vehicle gets older.

Eventually VW does compensate with a redesign but only after the fact.
The older experienced designers leave VW, as in retire, pass away. etc.
The building block of the base design becomes out speced due to newbie
flash which creates extra weight and hardware issues. Granted, most all
OEM vehicles are getting heavier. With the gas prices already getting
gouged around $6 a gallon in some parts of the USA, I ask why not lighten
up the vehicles and get rid of the heavy issues.

OTi, an example of this case is SUV and Truck repair. Those of you who own
F-250 (3/4 Ton) and above type trucks and SUV know what I mean. The cost
in brake work and other repair is enormous. Suspensions get out of spec
much faster in these kind of vehicles especially 4x4s. You can see it in
the tire wear. It's horrible. Ball joint jobs, warped discs, etc. All due
to weight and abuse. The OEM product sucks in this case, Ford with the poor
ball joints needs replacing unless you use third party replacement parts
which helps.

Back to VWs. What gets me is the trannies are still OEM'ed with the cheaper rivets
and not with the reman bolt kits. Is this still the case?

Honda's are having their share of spec issues now too since they too are
losing the good generations in the designs.

I look at an auto OEM as a bell curve. In the beginning the cars have issues
due to being new in the market. These issues get resolved and the quality
gets better. This is where Hyundai and Kia are currently at.

The quality eventually climbs to the top of the bell curve. This is where
the OEM has the least issues and best reliability. I put Toyota in this one.
Honda, maybe on the downslope of the bell curve, starting last year.

The downslope. Lots of OEMs here including VW, Daimler Chrysler, GM, Ford.

Other issues are changing the catagory of the OEM. VW is trying to compete
with highline OEMs and so the apple turns into an orange...

JMO. I still like VW, but I realize that they are not the same just as
the other OEMs have changed their models. The heart of the VW is still good
IMO, they should last. Not as long as the original A1 but still get 150K+ miles
out of the new more plastic A4s.

alkaboutautos.com...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old September 5th 05, 07:45 PM
jpmccormac

I think most people would agree that the Accord is more reliable than
previous Jettas, though the reliability of the new Jetta remains to be
seen. The safety of the '06 Jetta is excellent according to the testing
data I've read.

VW seems to have a host of top management and labor problems right now.
Here's an example posted today; headline is "Volkswagen could cut
10,000 German jobs":
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...2a6026,00.html

OT: I think VW could grab some market share if they'd bring more TDI
diesels to the USA market. The time is ripe with gas prices going up.

Old September 5th 05, 10:27 PM
Peter Parker

In article . com>,
jpmccormac > wrote:
>I think most people would agree that the Accord is more reliable than
>previous Jettas, though the reliability of the new Jetta remains to be
>seen. The safety of the '06 Jetta is excellent according to the testing
>data I've read.

Good point. I forgot about the new safety rating and was surprised to
hear this when I first read it.

>VW seems to have a host of top management and labor problems right now.
>Here's an example posted today; headline is "Volkswagen could cut
>10,000 German jobs":
>http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...2a6026,00.html

At least they are not using american parts like Diamler Chrysler is
usig for the Benz. The MB recently has been going downhill due to using
cheap Chrysler parts.

>OT: I think VW could grab some market share if they'd bring more TDI
>diesels to the USA market. The time is ripe with gas prices going up.

I think they could do just that and bring over some normal folks vehicles
like the Polo and the Lupo. This could only happen if the US gets rid of
those big 18 wheelers and goes to the more efficient smaller diesel trucks
that they use in Europe. The safety standards are here so small passenger
vehicles have a chance to survive against the monsters they have to drive
next to.

Old September 5th 05, 10:30 PM
Mike Smith

jpmccormac wrote:
> I think most people would agree that the Accord is more reliable than
> previous Jettas, though the reliability of the new Jetta remains to be
> seen. The safety of the '06 Jetta is excellent according to the testing
> data I've read.
>
> VW seems to have a host of top management and labor problems right now.
> Here's an example posted today; headline is "Volkswagen could cut
> 10,000 German jobs":
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...2a6026,00.html
>
> OT: I think VW could grab some market share if they'd bring more TDI
> diesels to the USA market. The time is ripe with gas prices going up.

They'd have to become legal in CA/NY/MA/NJ/etc., first, which isn't
going to happen until the EPA mandates cleaner diesel fuel.

--
Mike Smith
Old September 5th 05, 11:56 PM
Woodchuck

The 06 is a totally re birth from the bottom up. about 95% of the electrics
are controlled by computers and they all are on a network. All the exterior
lights are now computer controlled.

Old September 6th 05, 01:23 AM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Woodchuck > wrote:
>The 06 is a totally re birth from the bottom up. about 95% of the electrics
>are controlled by computers and they all are on a network. All the exterior
>lights are now computer controlled.

Sounds like a new generation of designers trying to make their mark.

:-)

Old September 6th 05, 08:03 AM

Peter Parker wrote:
> >The 06 is a totally re birth from the bottom up. about 95% of the electrics
> >are controlled by computers and they all are on a network. All the exterior
> >lights are now computer controlled.
> >

> Sounds like a new generation of designers trying to make their mark.
>
> :-)

Actually it's a weight (and cost) reduction measure.

Old September 6th 05, 08:30 AM

Peter Parker wrote:

> >VW seems to have a host of top management and labor problems right now.
> >Here's an example posted today; headline is "Volkswagen could cut
> >10,000 German jobs":
> >http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...2a6026,00.html

> At least they are not using american parts like Diamler Chrysler is

They are using mexican parts, and for a long time
As for layoffs in germany, they just want to produce cheaper, so they
move their production to the "cheaper" countries, such as Mexico,
Poland or Slowakia.

> usig for the Benz. The MB recently has been going downhill due to using
> cheap Chrysler parts.

Are you sure? Which ones for example?

As far as I know, it's the opposite. For example, the Crysler Crossfire
is nothing else as previous generation of Mercedes SLK.

The reliability problems of Mercedes are homegrown, they started much
earlier (~10 years ago), long before the crysler merger. It's the
direct problem of the management: they cut the development costs
("increased the effciency" in bean counter's speak), and set very
ambitious engineering goals at the same time.
So, it's not surprising, that they got what they ordered: some very
sophisticated but unfortunalely unfinished modules, which are not
developed enough to withstand the "real life".
But it does not matter, as the management already got it's bonuses, and
the reliability problems of future.... well they are in the future, for
the future management

> >OT: I think VW could grab some market share if they'd bring more TDI
> >diesels to the USA market. The time is ripe with gas prices going up.

Yes, but in order to do it, you need to _produce_ more TDI's And
this is not something you can do in one day, as it involves all that
complicated compnent supply chains.

> I think they could do just that and bring over some normal folks vehicles
> like the Polo and the Lupo. This could only happen if the US gets rid of

Lupo is being canceled due to the lack of sales, because it was small
and relatively expensive (given the size). Wish yourself the brasilian
Fox instead