Rear shock absorber is leacking, so i MUST replace both sides?

Old August 24th 05, 02:32 PM

Default Rear shock absorber is leacking, so i MUST replace both sides?

Hello,

I was told that my rear left shock absorber is leaking and that i must
replace it. But the technician is suggesting that i MUST replace both
rear sock absorbers (left & right)?

Does that make sense? or they out for the money?

Old August 24th 05, 02:47 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I was told that my rear left shock absorber is leaking and that i must
> replace it. But the technician is suggesting that i MUST replace both
> rear sock absorbers (left & right)?
>
> Does that make sense? or they out for the money?

Usually, if the shocks have a bit of age on them (maybe counted as
mileage...greater than about 30-40,000)
it would be advisable to replace both.

Who is going to do this for you, and how much do they indicate they will
charge?

Old August 24th 05, 02:48 PM
Al Kondo

Of course you don't have to change both sides if one goes bad, but
it's probably a good idea. The assumption here is that both shocks
have undergone the same stresses and that both share the same level of
wear. In other words, from a prevention viewpoint, it's a good idea
to change both. Recently, I had the same problem... i.e., one shock
went out while on vacation. I decided to change only one of them
because I was on the road and I had to change the offending shock in
an Auto Zone parking lot in Mississippi. About a month later, the
shock on the other side began to give its "death" signals. I decided
to change out all of the shocks at that point. I hate getting stuck
out in the middle of nowhere.

Al Kondo

Old August 24th 05, 03:08 PM
jor

I had one go out on my old 83 Camry. I replaced only that one.
jor

oups.com...

Old August 24th 05, 04:20 PM
Scott Dorsey

>I was told that my rear left shock absorber is leaking and that i must
>replace it. But the technician is suggesting that i MUST replace both
>rear sock absorbers (left & right)?
>
>Does that make sense? or they out for the money?

If he wanted the money, he'd only do one of them. Then he could charge
again when you came in a short time later to get the other one done because
of the goofy handling (and because if one is leaking, the other one will
soon be on its way). Definitely cheaper in the long run to replace them
both if there is any mileage on the shocks.
--scott
Old August 24th 05, 07:28 PM
J Strickland

I agree with the technician, you should replace shocks in pairs, or axle
sets is how they are termed. I'd even go the extra step to suggest that if
the rear shocks are gone, the front shocks can't be far behind, and they
should also be replaced.

oups.com...

Old August 24th 05, 07:32 PM
Charles @ Kankakee

"J Strickland" > wrote in message
>I agree with the technician, you should replace shocks in pairs, or axle
>sets is how they are termed. I'd even go the extra step to suggest that if
>the rear shocks are gone, the front shocks can't be far behind, and they
>should also be replaced.
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was told that my rear left shock absorber is leaking and that i must
>> replace it. But the technician is suggesting that i MUST replace both
>> rear sock absorbers (left & right)?
>>
>> Does that make sense? or they out for the money?

My brother has a bad bearing in the rear axle of his Mazda Miata and I'm
trying to get him to replace the whole rear set as a group.

Charles of Kankakee

E46 Ci - Rear Tray & Folding Seats Noises Class 1 BMW 3 November 11th 04 09:21 AM
Rear amped speakers vitonxl Audi 1 October 17th 04 08:38 PM
No rear A/C in 1999 Grand Caravan Anon Dodge 4 June 5th 04 02:16 PM