Just been to collect my 75

Old September 9th 09, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Halmyre[_1_]

Default Just been to collect my 75

On 8 Sep, 20:48, Catman > wrote:
> Halmyre wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > I'm baffled. Why does she need *two* cupholders?

> Why does she need *any*? It's a car, not a cafe.
>

> > My wife's MX5 has cupholders in the door *and* in the centre console. Why?!?
> > The ones in the centre are especially annoying because they reduce the amount
> > of space available for small items.

> You could (radical suggestion I know) put some small items in them?

She does. Her house keys. No room for anything else after that. It's
the same with the doors - it's as if they've put door pockets in, but
then covered them over. Alex Issigonis would be horrified at the waste
of space.

--
Halmyre
Old September 9th 09, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Zathras > wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:07:28 +0100, Catman
> > wrote:
>
> >Zathras wrote:
> >> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:23:25 +0100, "Steve H on the road"

> >> !! Oi..hold the bus..where did *that* one sneak in from? ;-)
> >>

> >Company car

> Fantastic. I'm tempted to say I'd take the cash but I don't really
> know how good they are!

Cash option is rubbish - £250 pcm (before tax). Won't even buy and run a
base model MiTo...

On the other hand, the Prius only costs me £40 pcm in company car tax
and around 10p / mile in fuel - for which the company pays me 13p / mile
- which negates the tax...

As a car, it's a car, it's good at cruising on motorways at or around
the legal limit - it has very good climate control, a JBL audio system
with iPod input, cruise control and integrated sat. nav.

It's no ball of fire, but it's a CVT gearbox, so it'll beat most drivers
(note, I say drivers, not cars...) away from the lights and it handles
acceptably well.

I'd prefer to run an Alfa, and did for a few months, but then was made
redundant, so I gave that to Mrs H when I was given the Prius in my new
job.
Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed - Alfa 75 TSpark Lusso -
Ducati 750SS - BMW R100RT - Toyota Prius T-Spirit
Old September 9th 09, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Halmyre wrote:
> On 9 Sep, 09:40, Zathras >
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:50:45 +0100, Halmyre >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm baffled. Why does she need *two* cupholders?

>> Simple. One for her and one for me or the bairn. Can't trust the bairn
>> to keep the bottle upright or get it in the rear cupholders without a
>> disaster. Anyone with a car and kids will know what I'm talking about!
>> :-(
>>
>> Otherwise, she might be considering a "haulf 'n' haulf" (pr. hoff) as
>> some might say in these northern parts. 8-0
>>

> What a good idea. G&T, ice and lime for her. Single malt and water for
> me. Cheers! (hic). But where can I put the crisps and nuts?

In the cup holder! Dur

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old September 9th 09, 08:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Halmyre[_2_]

In article >, catman@rustcuore-
sportivo.co.uk says...
> Halmyre wrote:
> > On 9 Sep, 09:40, Zathras >
> > wrote:

> >> Simple. One for her and one for me or the bairn. Can't trust the bairn
> >> to keep the bottle upright or get it in the rear cupholders without a
> >> disaster. Anyone with a car and kids will know what I'm talking about!
> >> :-(
> >>
> >> Otherwise, she might be considering a "haulf 'n' haulf" (pr. hoff) as
> >> some might say in these northern parts. 8-0
> >>

> > What a good idea. G&T, ice and lime for her. Single malt and water for
> > me. Cheers! (hic). But where can I put the crisps and nuts?

> In the cup holder! Dur

But then I need (wrestles with arithmetic)...more cup holders...

--
Halmyre

The more you know the less the better.
Old September 9th 09, 11:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 05:44:05 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre
> wrote:

>But where can I put the crisps and nuts?

Normally they're between my legs! :-o

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old September 10th 09, 10:37 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:52:38 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Zathras > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:34:23 +0100,
(SteveH)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >It's no ball of fire, but it's a CVT gearbox, so it'll beat most drivers
>> >(note, I say drivers, not cars...) away from the lights and it handles
>> >acceptably well.

>> I've seen one on the motorway and it certainly did seem capable of
>> reasonable motorway performance.

>They're OK on motorways - when you get baulked by someone doing 69.9mph
>in lane 3 and get a stack of reps in their Audis behind you, you can
>leave them for dead once the road clears as their TDIs bog down and / or
>they have to change down, whilst you just floor it and let the CVT and
>electric motor do its stuff.

They'll be in 6th with no revs, a hopeless gear ratio for instant
pickup and a smallish power band from those high power 2.0TDI engines.
I like my Alfa as it's got serious grunt in top (5th) at those sorts
of speeds due to having a very respectable power band and this makes
motorway running much more pleasurable and relaxing (for me) at the
same time. Frankly, I prefer 5 gears to six in a diesel but there's
little choice these days.

Must admit, I was slightly surprised at the Prius I saw..I had to
press the accelerator more than I expected to keep up though I caught
him quickly once I did. I still don't fancy a hybrid at this point in
their development cycle. In a few years things will be different.

Old September 10th 09, 11:45 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Halmyre wrote:
> In article >, catman@rustcuore-
> sportivo.co.uk says...
>> Halmyre wrote:

>>> What a good idea. G&T, ice and lime for her. Single malt and water for
>>> me. Cheers! (hic). But where can I put the crisps and nuts?

>> In the cup holder! Dur
>>

> But then I need (wrestles with arithmetic)...more cup holders...

No, no. This is my point. *No one* needs cupholders.

<FX: circle to fade>

Old September 10th 09, 12:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:45:51 +0100, Catman
> wrote:

>No, no. This is my point. *No one* needs cupholders.

SWMBO says she does..counter that, if you dare!