Feasibility of classic car 4 transportation? or are they just vanity/project cars?

Old September 10th 03, 01:06 PM
Ivo

Default Feasibility of classic car 4 transportation? or are they just vanity/project cars?

Hey All,

Living in the San Fracisco Bay Area with it's good public
transportation system I've rarely felt the need for a car. Lately this
has changed and have started keeping my eyes open for a car but
nothing really catches my attention except for classic cars. They have
personality & from the prices appear to be relatively inexpensive,
specially considering they've either devalued all they will. And many
are already apppreciating.

Is it feasible to consider a classic car (say 1960's T-Bird) a viable
option as a transportation car?

Can these be used like a regular car? Go shopping/movies/school/work?

Or are these really vanity cars meant for car shows or for people to
take on as restoration projects?

Thanks,

C.
Old September 10th 03, 04:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ivo wrote:

> Is it feasible to consider a classic car (say 1960's T-Bird) a viable
> option as a transportation car?

Yes. The main problem is that you will probably have to do much of the
maintenance yourself. Parts frequently are unavailable locally and must be
mailordered. One of the big things you will have to get used to is the fact
that cars made in the U.S. before the early 70's usually had drum brakes.
These don't work quite as well as disc brakes. They will fade when hot and
stop working completely if you go through deep water and get them wet. You
will have to learn the old driving skills. Parts are easier to find for Ford
and Chevrolet products than for others.

> Can these be used like a regular car? Go shopping/movies/school/work?

Yes. There are certain differences in registration, inspection, and insurance
with which you will have to deal. If you keep the vehicle for show, you can
get "classic car" license plates, inspections are waived in most States, and
you can insure the car for its full value as an antique fairly reasonably. If
you keep it as a daily driver, you get regular plates, most States require that
it pass inspection every year, and it's hard to find a reasonably priced
collision policy for the actual value of the car ("book value" is nowhere
close to the actual value).

George Patterson
A friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move
the body.

Classic cars for sale : novaweb BMW 1 December 2nd 04 12:00 AM
For sale Classic Cars BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Jaguar, Porsche, Citroen,Peugeot, renault....... Couet Thierry BMW 0 September 27th 04 10:41 AM
For sale Classic cars : ALFA ROMEO, MERCEDES, FERRARI, PORSCHE, JAGUAR,LAMBORGHINI, MASERATI....... Couet Thierry Audi 0 July 12th 04 10:14 PM
For sale Classic cars : ALFA ROMEO, MERCEDES, FERRARI, PORSCHE, JAGUAR,LAMBORGHINI, MASERATI....... Couet Thierry Alfa Romeo 0 July 12th 04 10:14 PM
Classic Cars Needed For Oldies Show 8/16 Long Beach! Thomas Haney Antique cars 0 August 12th 03 05:03 PM