Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

Old December 28th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

Default Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

GM sell more cars than any import brand, they just do not have the same name
on the grill.

mike

..

Old December 29th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

You obviously do not understand the automobile business. Economies of
scale, they ARE indeed making a big profit on their cars and trucks. The
corporation is not making a profit however because of lower higher profit
truck sales, plant restructuring and reductions as well as force reduction
costs.

GM and Ford are spending billions if OR&DO, as well, for the many new
models coming to market over the next three years. If one closely reads
many of the various current owners surveys, rather than what is in the
media, GM and Ford are arguably building BETTER cars and certainly better
trucks than any of the imports. Even import buyers who the believe import
cars are better, say the trucks from GM and Ford are better than what they
find at the import stores.. How is that for a perception, when many of the
engines and trannys in the GM and Ford cars are the same as in their trucks,
albeit configured for more torque. Torque by the way is something the
Japs give up in spades to get more horse power out of their underpowered
engines

mike

Old December 29th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Tony Alonso

Celica is no longer sold here...

Old December 29th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff[_10_]

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
> You obviously do not understand the automobile business. Economies of
> scale, they ARE indeed making a big profit on their cars and trucks. The
> corporation is not making a profit however because of lower higher profit
> truck sales, plant restructuring and reductions as well as force reduction
> costs.
>
> GM and Ford are spending billions if OR&DO, as well, for the many new
> models coming to market over the next three years. If one closely reads
> many of the various current owners surveys, rather than what is in the
> media, GM and Ford are arguably building BETTER cars and certainly better
> trucks than any of the imports. Even import buyers who the believe import
> cars are better, say the trucks from GM and Ford are better than what
> they find at the import stores.. How is that for a perception, when many
> of the engines and trannys in the GM and Ford cars are the same as in
> their trucks, albeit configured for more torque. Torque by the way is
> something the Japs give up in spades to get more horse power out of their
> underpowered engines
>
> mike
>

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
>>> The seem to well in the US.. GM and Ford still outsell any import brand
>>> in the US.
>>>

>>> mike

>> They may sell well, but not at a profit. Ford and GM are supposed to be
>> for-profit companies. At the moment, they aren't.
>>
>> Jeff

That's why Ford is turning to the Japanese for help. And they have to order
lots of red ink pens from Staples.

Jeff

Old December 29th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff[_10_]

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
> GM sell more cars than any import brand, they just do not have the same
> name on the grill.
>

> mike

1) You should learn to stop top-posting.

2) You should learn to not compare apples and oranges. You should be saying
"Chevy sells more than any import brand" or "GM sells more than any import
maker." A company (GM) and brand (Chevy) are not the same thing.

3) How many brands does GM have to use to do this? Lots: Chevy, Pontiac,
Caddy, Saab, Hummer, Buick, Saturn and GMC.

4) Who is expected to be the biggest car maker in the world next year?
Toyota.

Jeff

Old December 29th 06, 12:38 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

Referencing below. Please dont post a statement from one person and leave my
name on it as if I was the person who said it. I know its easy to lose track
of who said what but in some circumstances wearing the black eye or taking
the credit for someone elses statement can be the least desireable. I do
feel that the domestics are making nice cars. Its just that when you are
spending so much money you want something with a good reputation and that is
something American manufacturers haven't had for some time.

Nick

Old December 29th 06, 01:02 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

I had a talk with the owner of a Toyota dealership today about Ford's
problems. He said Ford has spent way too much money on acquiring brands
(Volvo, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, Land Rover etc.) and not nearly enough on
their own product development and this has left them in a financial
bind. He then went on to rattle off all the new vehicles Toyota will
bring to market this year and it is a long list. He said Toyota doesn't
worry about buying other companies but they are concerned with upgrading
and updating the model line on a regular basis. He said they are
getting ready to launch a full sized truck that is going to take a huge
bite out of GM and Ford's sales. If Ford starts to lose substantial
F150 sales to Toyota then they are going to be in some serious $hit. He
also said the Firestone tire debacle on the Explorers hit Ford very hard
financially and has reduced the number of Explorers they sell by a good bit.

His take was that Ford needs more vehicles like the Edge to bring them
back to black and cars like the 500 are just too bland and underpowered
to be successful. Keep in mind that this Toyota dealership owner has a
Mustang GT setting in his garage so he isn't as one sided for Toyota as
you might think.

Old December 29th 06, 05:50 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
VB Mercon

Hey Hunter, don't you have anything else to say..? You sound like a broken
record. And you know how bad a broken record sounds.

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
> The seem to well in the US.. GM and Ford still outsell any import brand

in
> the US.
>

> mike
>

> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
> > Whitelightning wrote:
> >> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> >> . ..
> >> interest

we

> >> One post, as I have hashed this out too many times in the past. Ford
> >> and
> >> GM are as
> >> good or better than anything Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or any of their
> >> subsidiaries produce. They are
> >> a 100 fold better than the junk Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, or Mitsubishi put
> >> out.
> >>
> >> All one has to do is research the number and types of recalls the

asians
> >> have been having for almost 2 decades
> >> vrs what Ford and GM have been issuing.
> >> Of course researching that is hard these days, since AllData and

Mitchell

Old December 29th 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Hunter

That may be your opinion but the fact is in the US both GM and Ford outsell
any import. I was buying imports based on what people were saying, as well.
I soon learned that the several Lexus I bought were no better than the
domestics I had been buying, they just cost me more to buy. I now buy
domestics again.

mike

It is just that when you are

Old December 29th 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

Thats not my opinion that is my reasoning why foreign cars are doing so well
because of reputation which usually takes time to change. Mike can you show
me a link to back your statement that GM and Ford outsell imports in the US?
Thanks.

Nick