HOW TO DEODORIZE A HEAVILY SMOKED IN CAR ??

Old December 10th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default HOW TO DEODORIZE A HEAVILY SMOKED IN CAR ??

Is there a product, consumer or professional, to use to get the smoke
stink out of a car? The car is sitting over winter outside, so if
something can be 'set off' inside it....

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Old December 10th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 10 Dec 2006 08:39:48 -0800, "
> wrote:

>Is there a product, consumer or professional, to use to get the smoke
>stink out of a car?

Lost cause. Several years of use with windows open and AC set to
outside air will lessen but not eliminate it. All the products I have
known people to try produce a blend of tobacco stench and cheap
perfume stench that I consider even worse than the tobacco stench
alone.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old December 11th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

" > wrote in
ps.com:

> Is there a product, consumer or professional, to use to get the smoke
> stink out of a car? The car is sitting over winter outside, so if
> something can be 'set off' inside it....

I've never found a way.

My previous car had belonged to a heavy smoker. I had the seats and carpets
steam-cleaned, and scrubbed the plastic headliner and all the interior trim
with detergent and water. Made a difference, but never got rid of it
completely.

--
Tegger

Old December 11th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob M.

Take it to a detail shop and let them handle it. Worked well on the last
company truck I had.

Possibly, renting an ozone generator and leaving it in the car for an hour
or so would work, but I don't know. Let it air out after that, too much
ozone isn't good for you.

ps.com...

Old December 11th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Is there a product, consumer or professional, to use to get the smoke
> stink out of a car? The car is sitting over winter outside, so if
> something can be 'set off' inside it....
>
> Thanks in advance.

Clean all interior surfaces of the vehicle including the headliner (that is
very tricky business so make sure to take it to someone who has done it
before) then drive it regularly The cleaning will cut the smoke stink by
probably
75%. The remaining smell will eventually go away by itself but it will take
at least 2 years before anyone who is sensitive to smoke smell will not
complain immediately as soon as they get into it.

Note also that cigarette smoke sensitivity is partly "in the head" as it
were,
for most people. There's few who are actually really physically allergic to
it. Most people who claim to be have convinced themselves that they are
and once they believe they are allergic, they will develop allergy symptoms
anyway. 40 years ago everyone smoked and few people complained. And
this is coming from someone who has never smoked in his life (at least, not
tobacco)

Ted

Old December 12th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Bob M. wrote:
> Take it to a detail shop and let them handle it. Worked well on the last
> company truck I had.
>
> Possibly, renting an ozone generator and leaving it in the car for an hour
> or so would work, but I don't know. Let it air out after that, too much
> ozone isn't good for you.

I don't know about the ozone generator, but getting a full detailing
didn't completely get rid of the stench. The cigarette small was
always leaching out of the padding in the seats, especially in the back
when the kids got in and bounced around before settling.

Matthew

Old December 31st 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
bm2boats

Fill the ash tray up with Baking soda. Or go to Home depot or Lowes and
they sell in the section of Air Filters, a bag that looks like rocks. I
will filter the air as you drive with the A/C on, heater on, or a window
open. but will take time. Clean the Car top to under the seats. Put
baking soda in the Ash Tray, and sprinkle baking soda on the seats and
on the carpets( Yes the carpet piece at the rear window) over night or
better yet over the weekend. Then Vacumn it up.

--
bm2boats
bm2boats's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=115176

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old December 31st 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

bm2boats wrote:
> Fill the ash tray up with Baking soda. Or go to Home depot or Lowes and
> they sell in the section of Air Filters, a bag that looks like rocks. I
> will filter the air as you drive with the A/C on, heater on, or a window
> open. but will take time. Clean the Car top to under the seats. Put
> baking soda in the Ash Tray, and sprinkle baking soda on the seats and
> on the carpets( Yes the carpet piece at the rear window) over night or
> better yet over the weekend. Then Vacumn it up.

The smell the original poster complains about must be really bad.
If he works in a septic tank and complains about cigarette smell, I
think there is other issues. :-)

Hank