Check Engine Light Came On

Old August 15th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Check Engine Light Came On

"Bill" > wrote in
oups.com:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/mazda/index.php
Old August 16th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill[_5_]

Peter Chupity wrote:
> In article .com>,
> says...
>
> > Thank you again, but my local Mazda dealer courteously told me
> > to fork off, I'd have to come in with the car to tell me what OBD 1
> > code # 7135 (or 1135- writing was terrible) denotes. At, I assume,
> > their minimum rate of 1/2 hr and 40 dollars.

> On my '98, the 1135 code means the front O2 sensor ~heater~ has gone
> open circuit. I had this happen, and replaced the sensor with a generic
> version (required splicing leads) as the dealer didn't feel this was
> covered under the emissions warranty. The generic was cheap enough and
> the install simple enough that it wasn't worth arguing.
>
> Post mortem on the sensor showed that the connection to the heater
> element had broken off at the braze. I think it's a manufacturing
> defect...
>
> > If anybody can tell me what those codes are, I'll send you
> > something really nice if you like music. (If you don't, I'll think of
> > something else!)

> What kind of music???

Thank you Peter, Lanny, Mike, et alia. My only question now
is, I assume that a generic Walker brand sensor from OxygenSensors.com,
at 60 dollars, is a decent price for a generic part? I have a shade
tree guy who will put it in for 20 dollars. I know I'm probably going
to try it myself. All an observer would see would be me, ass in the
air over the engine compartment, and the sounds of small screws pinging
their way towards the ground- They never *hit* the ground, the Gods of
Bud the Weiser get more of a laugh watching somebody with one of those
magnetic pickup tools- then the louder bang of a 22mm wrench falling
and breaking something expen$ive and unreachable. Head halfway to the
ground by now, our noble repair-warrior with no feeling in his left
hand yells SOMEthing loud, and wife comes trotting out with another
cold malted beverage and leaves it on the run, and the battle resumes.
Numb noble warrier quits around midnight when he cannot find the
boxed part he was to install, and the 5 year old $4.99 trouble light
loses an electrical tape splice in the cord and sends 110V through
entire engine AND N.N. warrior. N.N.W. is so buzzed from 16 bottles of
Bud Ice he doesn't really know what happened, but he knows he didn't
like it, and that wife will find lost part next day.
We leave numb noble warrior swearing at Jay Leno on TV, and cursing
Bud of Weiser for only putting 18 bottles in 18 pack of malted beverage
and he retires, perhaps to dream of a better day.....

-Bill

(PM me with a wish list of bootlegs, most of what I have left is
Springsteen and Dire Straits/Knopfler, sons hijacked most originals...
I owe all of you....

Old August 20th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill[_5_]

Peter Chupity wrote:

> On my '98, the 1135 code means the front O2 sensor ~heater~ has gone
> open circuit. I had this happen, and replaced the sensor with a generic
> version (required splicing leads) as the dealer didn't feel this was
> covered under the emissions warranty. The generic was cheap enough and
> the install simple enough that it wasn't worth arguing.
>

> > If anybody can tell me what those codes are, I'll send you
> > something really nice if you like music. (If you don't, I'll think of
> > something else!)

> What kind of music???

The shop didn't run the car yesterday as I asked, so cheapo
Mazca battery was dead as a...whatever. Damn thing never did hold a
charge, I wonder if the stupid Lojack is always on and draining????
Anyway, the code is clear, and has stayed clear for the 35
minute trip home, so perhaps all was bogus and all is well now....What
do people do for batteries on these besides Mazda brand?

As to music- Mark Knopfler is coming to Boothbay in Sept to do a
benefit, tix are obscenely priced, but leftovers will go on Ebay, and I
suspect there might be a bargain to be had there- $500 for concert and
after party with Mark will probably go for fifty bucks..Keep an eye on
Ebay in coming weeks.
Thanks again for all the help..

-Bill

Old August 20th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Bill,
Yes your "stupid lojack" system is always on and so is your clock in the
radio, so some power is also going to the radio. (be sure to check your
radio for the "theft code" if it has one) Westco is one batt. that will
work. (some people have had results with other makes.)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old August 21st 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill[_5_]

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Bill,
> Yes your "stupid lojack" system is always on and so is your clock in the
> radio, so some power is also going to the radio. (be sure to check your
> radio for the "theft code" if it has one) Westco is one batt. that will
> work. (some people have had results with other makes.)

Thank you- do you mean that the Lojack is broadcasting all the
time? I bought the car with a brand-new-that-day Mazda brand battery,
and it never held a charge for more than a week during the winter, or
overnight in subzero weather. Hell of a way to run an airline! I was
wondering if the Lojack, like a cell phone, will communicate with a
cell every now and then like it or not. (Old analog phones, anyway.)
I say 'stupid' Lojack because it is worthless here in Maine, and
I cannot get anybody to buy it, take it out for free, or even tell me
how to disable it, JIC it is the trouble with the battery.
It sat at the repair shop for six days, and was dead as a
doornail- at least it reset the ECU, which makes the car idle too
slowly at first- just what you want with a dead battery.
Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm just gonna call up the local
indie foregn car place and take their advice on batteries, the cheapest
the best.

-Bill

Old August 21st 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Bill ,

I think you will find that the system is always on line and only calls
if it is stolen. (but they still have power going to to them.) I had to
keep my '91 on a foat type charger if I was not going to drive it for a
week. (vacations and such)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old August 21st 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill[_5_]

Are you in the rust belt? Problem still worse in the winter? I
guess I'll do what I had to do to a '79 Mustang, until it self-repaired
after a year- that is to loosen the negative cx to the battery so it
can just push on- pull off. I kept a wrench handy but never had to use
it, it was all sticky enough. Hmm.. this was before electronic radios
and ECU's. Guess I'll keep up with what I have, which is exactly what
you have.
Lemme guess- you keep the charger clipped to the battery and set on
2A charge, with an extension cord nearby, and just connect the two as
needed. Right? Have you talked to any other Lojack owners?? Isn't
there supposed to be a master shutoff acessable to the driver?? TYIA

-Bill

Old August 23rd 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
David P.

Here's a low-battery prevention device I thought about buying but never did.
I kept having my battery run down after 6 or 7 days in the long-term parking
lot at the airport.

http://www.teammiata.com/prioritystart.htm

David P.

oups.com...

Old August 28th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

I notice that "Patricia" gave a location of Macon Ga. The Macon Mazda
dealer once told another 99 Miata owner that they were not going to do a
warrenty repair involving ignition failure, since the car had Champion
plugs. Turned out that Mazda used Champion plugs on some of the 99s instead
of the more common NGKs, and the Champions were even listed in the owners
manual. And yes, they were the OEM plugs installed when the car was built.

om...