What transmission will fit-W56

Old April 25th 04, 04:50 PM
LarryB

Default What transmission will fit-W56

I am thinking of buying a used transmission for my 1991 Toyota pickup,
22RE engine, 5-speed manual, 4WD.

Does anyone know what year trannys will fit that year. I looked at
www.drivetrain.com and they have a chart showing that years 89-94 4wd
pickup and 4runner would work but I was wondering about the years
85-88. Also would a w56 tranny from a 2wd work?

TIA
Larry
Old April 25th 04, 05:14 PM
Roger Brown

LarryB wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a used transmission for my 1991 Toyota pickup,
> 22RE engine, 5-speed manual, 4WD.
>
> Does anyone know what year trannys will fit that year. I looked at
> www.drivetrain.com and they have a chart showing that years 89-94 4wd
> pickup and 4runner would work but I was wondering about the years
> 85-88. Also would a w56 tranny from a 2wd work?

The earlier W56's are set up for a top-shifting t-case, the later ones (like you likely have) are set up for a forward shifting case, not a huge issue:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/topshifter/

--
Roger
Old April 25th 04, 05:14 PM
Roger Brown

Old April 29th 04, 02:55 PM
LarryB

Roger Brown > wrote in message > The earlier W56's are set up for a top-shifting t-case, the later ones (like you likely have) are set up for a forward shifting case, not a huge issue:
> http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/topshifter/

Thanks, I have come across some posts that say the splines may not
match up on different year W56 trans. Do you think that any year W56
tran would work?
Old April 29th 04, 02:55 PM
LarryB

Old May 3rd 04, 11:16 PM
Roger Brown

LarryB wrote:

> Roger Brown > wrote in message ? The earlier W56's are set up for a top-shifting t-case, the later ones (like you likely have) are set up for a forward shifting case, not a huge issue:
> ? http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/topshifter/
>
> Thanks, I have come across some posts that say the splines may not
> match up on different year W56 trans. Do you think that any year W56
> tran would work?

As far as I know, the W56s for 22REs were 21 splines, on the 22RET (turbos) that used the R151F tranny, it had 23 splines on the output and a different transfer case to boot. Marlin "Crawler" would know for sure. in fact he sells rebuilt trannys at a
very reasonable price:
http://marlincrawler.com/trans.html

--
Roger