I didn't know I was driving a truck

Old February 8th 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dickr

Default I didn't know I was driving a truck

According to my insurance company, my 2010 Ford Flex is considered
a truck. As I recall, it's built on the same platform as the Ford Taurus.
Very curious.
Dick
Old February 9th 12, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
john stachlewicz

On Feb 8, 9:20*pm, Dickr > wrote:
> According to my insurance company, my 2010 Ford Flex is considered
> a truck. As I recall, it's built on the same platform as the Ford Taurus.
> Very curious.
> Dick

interesting indeed! Not sure how our insurance classifies our Flex...
But yes, The Flex is built on the same platform as the Taurus...
Here's a piece of trivia... bumper to bumper the Taurus is actually
LONGER than the Flex! LOL! The Flex does have a longer wheel base
which perhaps is why the Flex appears to be longer than a Taurus...
Old February 9th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 15:20:07 -0600, Dickr > wrote:

>According to my insurance company, my 2010 Ford Flex is considered
>a truck. As I recall, it's built on the same platform as the Ford Taurus.
>Very curious.
>Dick

So, if it benefits you, file a complaint with your state insurance
commissioner.... and send a copy to Ford.

In California, it costs more to register a truck than a car because
trucks are considered commercial and are therefore income producing
vehicles. Throw a camper shell on it and it becomes recreational. But,
as soon as you remove the shell, it becomes a commercial vehicle
again.

It's like magic. The state found a way to increase revenues. There
must be some way the insurance companies gain by classifying it as a
truck.
Old February 10th 12, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

On 2/9/2012 5:32 PM, D E Willson wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 15:20:07 -0600, > wrote:
>
>> According to my insurance company, my 2010 Ford Flex is considered
>> a truck. As I recall, it's built on the same platform as the Ford Taurus.
>> Very curious.
>> Dick

> So, if it benefits you, file a complaint with your state insurance
> commissioner.... and send a copy to Ford.
>
> In California, it costs more to register a truck than a car because
> trucks are considered commercial and are therefore income producing
> vehicles. Throw a camper shell on it and it becomes recreational. But,
> as soon as you remove the shell, it becomes a commercial vehicle
> again.
>
> It's like magic. The state found a way to increase revenues. There
> must be some way the insurance companies gain by classifying it as a
> truck.

The insurance companies are not to blame. The car companies pressured
the EPA to allow lower MPG for light trucks than for cars, and then
cleverly created the definition of light truck so that some cars became
light trucks, to ease the effective pain of the CAFE rules. Chrysler's
PT Cruiser, a small car by any normal standard, thus became a light truck.
--
Cheers, Bob
Old February 20th 12, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Feb 8, 9:20*pm, Dickr > wrote:
> According to my insurance company, my 2010 Ford Flex is considered
> a truck. As I recall, it's built on the same platform as the Ford Taurus.
> Very curious.
> Dick

Ok... so i check the registration... State of Michigan classifies it
as a Station Wagon.