Interesting Data On Mustang Theft

Old February 4th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default Interesting Data On Mustang Theft

An interesting article...

----
No one could have guessed that a sporty little two-door named the
Mustang would go on to sell more than a half-million vehicles in its
first year, and that it would become an iconic American car almost
overnight. To date over eight and a half million Mustangs have been
built…but wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many of those
had been stolen in the past almost 50 years?

A study by the National Institute of Crime Bureau details which year
Mustangs were the most popular with car thieves, and the results may
surprise you.

The report, which goes through 2011, details many things about the
Ford Mustang, such as its lowest production year (2009, when just
66,623 Mustangs were sold) to its best year for sales (1966 when
almost 550,000 Mustangs were sold.) As far as auto theft goes though,
the year the most Mustangs were stolen was in 1981 when 20,708
Mustangs were stolen.

So what year were the fewest Mustangs stolen? That would be 2011, when
just 4,347 Mustangs were reported stolen. This probably has a lot to
due with modern security devices that thwart many would-be thieves. It
also probably has to do with a serious drop-off in Mustang production,
as the pony car now sells fewer than 100,000 units a year.

But what is the most popular Mustang to be stolen? Well that you might
be surprised to find out is the 2000 model year Mustang, which the
NICB reports saw 7,085 thefts between 2001 and 2011. In fact, 9 of the
top 10 Most Stolen Mustangs come from the SN95/New Edge era. The only
non-SN95 Mustang is the ‘89 Fox-body, with 2,629 thefts reported in
the past ten years. So, is your Mustang safe?
----

Patrick
Old February 7th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 11:48:56 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>An interesting article...
>

>----
>No one could have guessed that a sporty little two-door named the
>Mustang would go on to sell more than a half-million vehicles in its
>first year, and that it would become an iconic American car almost
>overnight. To date over eight and a half million Mustangs have been
>built…but wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many of those
>had been stolen in the past almost 50 years?
>
>A study by the National Institute of Crime Bureau details which year
>Mustangs were the most popular with car thieves, and the results may
>surprise you.
>
>The report, which goes through 2011, details many things about the
>Ford Mustang, such as its lowest production year (2009, when just
>66,623 Mustangs were sold) to its best year for sales (1966 when
>almost 550,000 Mustangs were sold.) As far as auto theft goes though,
>the year the most Mustangs were stolen was in 1981 when 20,708
>Mustangs were stolen.
>
>So what year were the fewest Mustangs stolen? That would be 2011, when
>just 4,347 Mustangs were reported stolen. This probably has a lot to
>due with modern security devices that thwart many would-be thieves. It
>also probably has to do with a serious drop-off in Mustang production,
>as the pony car now sells fewer than 100,000 units a year.
>
>But what is the most popular Mustang to be stolen? Well that you might
>be surprised to find out is the 2000 model year Mustang, which the
>NICB reports saw 7,085 thefts between 2001 and 2011. In fact, 9 of the
>top 10 Most Stolen Mustangs come from the SN95/New Edge era. The only
>non-SN95 Mustang is the ‘89 Fox-body, with 2,629 thefts reported in
>the past ten years. So, is your Mustang safe?
>----
>
>Patrick

My Mustang is as safe as it can be and be for a daily driver.

The stats you present are good, however, there are many factors
regarding why a car is stolen. It's not just which car is the favorite
in a particular year's thefts. It also comes down to things like what
is easiest, what is handiest, what overseas buyers want (a good
portion of stolens go out of the country).
Old February 10th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scammed Public

On Feb 4, 2:48*pm, " >
wrote:
> An interesting article...
>
> ----
> No one could have guessed that a sporty little two-door named the
> Mustang would go on to sell more than a half-million vehicles in its
> first year, and that it would become an iconic American car almost
> overnight. To date over eight and a half million Mustangs have been
> built…but wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many of those
> had been stolen in the past almost 50 years?
>
> A study by the National Institute of Crime Bureau details which year
> Mustangs were the most popular with car thieves, and the results may
> surprise you.
>
> The report, which goes through 2011, details many things about the
> Ford Mustang, such as its lowest production year (2009, when just
> 66,623 Mustangs were sold) to its best year for sales (1966 when
> almost 550,000 Mustangs were sold.) As far as auto theft goes though,
> the year the most Mustangs were stolen was in 1981 when 20,708
> Mustangs were stolen.
>
> So what year were the fewest Mustangs stolen? That would be 2011, when
> just 4,347 Mustangs were reported stolen. This probably has a lot to
> due with modern security devices that thwart many would-be thieves.

More to do with "them" moving on to silver low-end Acuras.
Old February 15th 12, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake Scammed Public > :

>On Feb 4, 2:48*pm, " >
>wrote:
>> An interesting article...
>>
>> ----
>> No one could have guessed that a sporty little two-door named the
>> Mustang would go on to sell more than a half-million vehicles in its
>> first year, and that it would become an iconic American car almost
>> overnight. To date over eight and a half million Mustangs have been
>> built…but wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many of those
>> had been stolen in the past almost 50 years?
>>
>> A study by the National Institute of Crime Bureau details which year
>> Mustangs were the most popular with car thieves, and the results may
>> surprise you.
>>
>> The report, which goes through 2011, details many things about the
>> Ford Mustang, such as its lowest production year (2009, when just
>> 66,623 Mustangs were sold) to its best year for sales (1966 when
>> almost 550,000 Mustangs were sold.) As far as auto theft goes though,
>> the year the most Mustangs were stolen was in 1981 when 20,708
>> Mustangs were stolen.
>>
>> So what year were the fewest Mustangs stolen? That would be 2011, when
>> just 4,347 Mustangs were reported stolen. This probably has a lot to
>> due with modern security devices that thwart many would-be thieves.

>More to do with "them" moving on to silver low-end Acuras.

And V6 Accords for the "swap into a Civic" market. An operation like
that (stealing low end Acuras and V6 Accords) was busted a couple of
years ago. They were selling engines and the associated components
for top dollar and the rest was going to "traditional" chop shops.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

So Kim Jung Ill shows up at the barbecue. "Wait,"
says Qadaffi, "you don't have any peircings." "If you
starve your people enough they'll be too weak to rebbel."
"You have the same number of holes in your head as when
you were born," says bin Laden. "My compound had radar
and antiacraft misslles." "Your neck," shouted Hussein,
"it's the same length." "I didn't **** on W's father."
"Then what happened?" the three asked. "Damned counterfiet
Lipitor and insulin!"
Old February 15th 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake " > :

>An interesting article...
>

>----
>No one could have guessed that a sporty little two-door named the
>Mustang would go on to sell more than a half-million vehicles in its
>first year, and that it would become an iconic American car almost
>overnight. To date over eight and a half million Mustangs have been
>built…but wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many of those
>had been stolen in the past almost 50 years?
>
>A study by the National Institute of Crime Bureau details which year
>Mustangs were the most popular with car thieves, and the results may
>surprise you.
>
>The report, which goes through 2011, details many things about the
>Ford Mustang, such as its lowest production year (2009, when just
>66,623 Mustangs were sold) to its best year for sales (1966 when
>almost 550,000 Mustangs were sold.) As far as auto theft goes though,
>the year the most Mustangs were stolen was in 1981 when 20,708
>Mustangs were stolen.
>
>So what year were the fewest Mustangs stolen? That would be 2011, when
>just 4,347 Mustangs were reported stolen. This probably has a lot to
>due with modern security devices that thwart many would-be thieves. It
>also probably has to do with a serious drop-off in Mustang production,
>as the pony car now sells fewer than 100,000 units a year.
>
>But what is the most popular Mustang to be stolen? Well that you might
>be surprised to find out is the 2000 model year Mustang, which the
>NICB reports saw 7,085 thefts between 2001 and 2011. In fact, 9 of the
>top 10 Most Stolen Mustangs come from the SN95/New Edge era. The only
>non-SN95 Mustang is the ‘89 Fox-body, with 2,629 thefts reported in
>the past ten years. So, is your Mustang safe?
>----
>
>Patrick

No statistics on hand and too lazy to look them up.

What are the ratios of Stangs sold vs total sales and between Stangs
stolen and total thefts? That tells you how rich a target a car is.
Toss in model stolen vs total cars stolen. For 2011 (the only year
with sufficient numbers to make a guess) we have at least 4.3% of all
2011 Mustangs stolen. BUT, is that 2011 Mustangs or all of the
Mustangs ever made? Too many unstated variables.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

So Kim Jung Ill shows up at the barbecue. "Wait,"
says Qadaffi, "you don't have any peircings." "If you
starve your people enough they'll be too weak to rebbel."
"You have the same number of holes in your head as when
you were born," says bin Laden. "My compound had radar
and antiacraft misslles." "Your neck," shouted Hussein,
"it's the same length." "I didn't **** on W's father."
"Then what happened?" the three asked. "Damned counterfiet
Lipitor and insulin!"

Passive Anti Theft System - 2006 Mustang GT [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 August 16th 07 03:11 PM
Data Plate and Driving Impressions - '66 Mustang Jeff Mayner Ford Mustang 8 May 30th 07 09:32 AM
Mustang theft? .... Ford Mustang 3 April 12th 07 11:24 AM
1998 Mustang Anti Theft locked? [email protected] Technology 2 October 10th 06 09:23 AM