BugMe videos?

Old November 17th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dangermouse

Default BugMe videos?

Really, and I mean REALLY, dissappointing to hear that the remaining
volumes might not now be produced. I've been hanging out for them as
each and every one of the others were so excellent and helpful. You
can read manuals all day and all night but nothing compares to
watching the procedure being performed right in front of your eyes (in
my case, often over and over again...). I don't believe I would have
had the courage to attempt to maintain my VW without the help of Rick
& Co. and the BugMe series (which I bought and paid for BTW...).

I'd happily pre-order the remaining volumes right now.
Old November 19th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

wrote:

> Whoever you are, SHAME ON YOU. Rick Higgins and family are part of the
> cure, and you are part of the damned problem.
> There's more I would like to say to the RIPOFFS that have done this,
> but this post would be deleted in nanoseconds if I told you how a
> REALLY feel.
>
> Dave Cormack

Dave,

I don't think the above comment was directed at me, but just to be
clear I own copies legally purchased directly from the bugmevideo.com
website (all 10 volumes except the one on Type IVs - volume 8 I think).
Bought them all at one time to get the best discount :-) . I am
arguing your exact position but don't personally have the pleasure of
knowing Rick and his family. His videos are a great product and a
tremendous resource for the VW community. It ****es me off no end when
I see someone either here or on TheSamba.com asking where they can
download these videos.

For what it's worth it seems to be a generational thing. A couple of
years ago I argued with some guy on TheSamba that asked to be pointed
towards a website where he could download one of BugMe Video volumes. I
just could not get across to the guy that this was stealing and that it
was wrong. His argument was that "well, I'm not really taking anything
from Rick" and "well, Rick has probably made so much money already that
these videos should be free by now anyway". Tried to explain to him
that the presence of pirated copies on the web definitely cuts into
Rick's sales and btw, who the hell was he to decide how much money Rick
should or shouldn't make off of his creation. It all fell on deaf ears.
This guy turned out to be about 17. I guess if you've been
downloading pirated music since you were 8 years old you just refuse to
see it as wrong. What you wanna bet that if *he* put work and effort
into something that *he* created to sell and it was put out on the web
for anyone to take for free that he'd have a quick change of attitude?

Oh btw, this is Usenet and a unmoderated forum. Unlike a web forum,
you can say anything you want and no one can take it down :-) . So,
feel free to let us know what you really think.
Old November 19th 09, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

Dangermouse wrote:
> Really, and I mean REALLY, dissappointing to hear that the remaining
> volumes might not now be produced. I've been hanging out for them as
> each and every one of the others were so excellent and helpful. You
> can read manuals all day and all night but nothing compares to
> watching the procedure being performed right in front of your eyes (in
> my case, often over and over again...). I don't believe I would have
> had the courage to attempt to maintain my VW without the help of Rick
> & Co. and the BugMe series (which I bought and paid for BTW...).
>
> I'd happily pre-order the remaining volumes right now.

Well, keep in mind that what I heard was 2nd hand. So, it might not be
true. But those remaining videos have been posted on the bugmevideo
website for years now without any updates. I'd love to hear that Rick
is in fact working on releasing the rest since I'd probably buy every
last one of them (including the one on convertible tops even though I
don't own a convertible). Like you I'd be willing to pre-order.

Old November 20th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Gents (and possibly ladies),

Well, as I have a legitimate set of the tapes, I was only looking to
change the format. I'll be grabbing the video software referred to
earlier and doing this myself, when time permits.
As to Dangermouse, I'm with you that I would gladly pre-pay for them!
Rick needs to put up a 'credit card' or check commit page and see what
the interest really is!
I know I'd be there!!!

OldIron

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:24:09 -0800 (PST), Dangermouse

Old November 20th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Oh, and I forgot to add, the only music I don't worry about getting
without paying for is when the artist is dead or if I already have the
same in another format (78rpm, wire-recording, reel-to-reel, 33
1/3rpm, tape or CD).
OldIron

Old November 21st 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Karls

Try sending them an email, I'm pretty sure you can get a good deal on
the DVD format copies.

Karls
(yes, it's been a long time)

Old November 21st 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Hey Karls, where have you been?

Jan

Old November 21st 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

Dave,

Since you know Rick why don't you ask him if he plans to release any new
volumes anytime soon? If he's taking votes on which volumes to do first
I say Volume 15 (Transmission Rebuild) and Volume 11 (Suspension) in
that order.
Old November 23rd 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 21, 1:40*pm, Rusty Shackelford > wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Since you know Rick why don't you ask him if he plans to release any new
> volumes anytime soon? If he's taking votes on which volumes to do first
> I say Volume 15 (Transmission Rebuild) and Volume 11 (Suspension) in
> that order.

I haven't talked with Rick in over 5 years, he is one of those poeple
that I unfortunately kinda lost contact with when I departed the VW
scene.
I just know how much forethough, work, editing, and etc he and his
family went through (He was the mechanic, one son was the camera guy,
another son was the take copier/internet guy, and his daughter and
wife ran the Office/Shipping & Receiving/questions and answers about
shipping, which volume was which, etc. As I said, it was a total
family affair, and a nicer family, you'll never ever meet.
It's kinda like the online battle I had with some German folks over
them steaing the design of a wheel, of a great friend of mine, and
making that wheel without so much as a by-your-leave to the designer.
It irritates the HELL out of me, when someone who does nothing,
profits off of someone who has invested a ton of work and time into
something.
I know Rick used to be , but again, my info is
pretty old, 5 years at least.
Just because I am 99% out of the VW scene, doesn't mean I don't have
friends into it, still. And when their sole livelihood is jeporadized
by someone, I tend to get a little testy.
Old November 23rd 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

I didn't realize that you had departed the VW scene, though I did notice
that I hadn't seen you around for a while. That's a shame, you were an
asset to the community and hobby. In any case, I know, that one day,
you'll be back. :-). I left VWs for about 15 years at one time but I
always had a soft spot in my heart for the little cars and would take
special notice whenever I saw one on the road. One day I saw one on the
side of the road for sale and ended up dragging it back home.

Bug Me Videos [email protected] VW air cooled 5 May 24th 09 08:37 PM
SOME NEW VIDEOS Jeff \(4X4PLAY\) Jeep 0 April 5th 07 02:40 PM
BMW Videos [email protected] BMW 1 May 10th 05 12:57 PM
More videos Kevin in San Diego Jeep 12 March 15th 05 09:36 AM
Videos 993ti General 0 December 4th 04 01:23 PM