97 mustang

Old August 2nd 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mellw31

Default 97 mustang

I have a 97 mustang with 150,000 plus miles on it. I am taking a long
trip and want to make sure i am using the correct oil. Any suggestions?
Old August 3rd 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

Mellw31 wrote:
> I have a 97 mustang with 150,000 plus miles on it. I am taking a long
> trip and want to make sure i am using the correct oil. Any suggestions?

You didn't specify your engine size. But, I'd check your owner manual
to see whats recommended for your engine. If you don't have your owner
manual, look in the engine compartment for a sticker that specifies.
Sometimes its on the oil filler cap or the dipstick too. If you can't
find anything, you'd probably be safe to stick with 10-30. Especially
if its a V-8 thats not burning more than 1 quart between oil changes.
If your using synthetic already, stay with synthetic. On the other
hand, I've heard that switching from conventional to synthetic is not a
good idea on high mileage engines. Hope that helps.
Old August 3rd 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

jonezzzman wrote:
> Mellw31 wrote:
>> I have a 97 mustang with 150,000 plus miles on it. I am taking a
>> long trip and want to make sure i am using the correct oil. Any
>> suggestions?

> You didn't specify your engine size. But, I'd check your owner
> manual to see whats recommended for your engine. If you don't have
> your owner manual, look in the engine compartment for a sticker
> that specifies. Sometimes its on the oil filler cap or the dipstick
> too. If you can't find anything, you'd probably be safe to stick
> with 10-30. Especially if its a V-8 thats not burning more than 1
> quart between oil changes. If your using synthetic already, stay
> with synthetic. On the other hand, I've heard that switching from
> conventional to synthetic is not a good idea on high mileage
> engines. Hope that helps.

Mobil has a procedure for doing the fossil-to-synthetic switch.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Mobil_1.a spx

I'd guess they were sincere, and not just trying to sell a few more
quarts of Mobil 1.

Valvoline has something to say, also.

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...d=2&scccid= 2

Amsoil rings in.

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/

PennZoil.

http://www.autocarepronews.com/defau...e=art&id=86055

Gooooogle offers about 149,000 articles on "switching from
conventional to synthetic oil".

--
Frank ess

Old August 4th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Frank ess wrote:

> Mobil has a procedure for doing the fossil-to-synthetic switch.
>
> http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Mobil_1.a spx
>

> I'd guess they were sincere, and not just trying to sell a few more
> quarts of Mobil 1.
>
> Valvoline has something to say, also.
>
> http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...d=2&scccid= 2
>

> Amsoil rings in.
>
> http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/
>
> PennZoil.
>
> http://www.autocarepronews.com/defau...e=art&id=86055
>
> Gooooogle offers about 149,000 articles on "switching from conventional
> to synthetic oil".

The oil on the dipstick on that page looks almost as good as mine does.

--

From what I've seen you doing in nana.sightings this
month, I really must question your conclusions. Of