One key works the other doesn't

Old February 18th 20, 04:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ed Presson

Default One key works the other doesn't

The BMW dealer replaced the main module because the locks were
malfunctioning. Sometimes the car couldn't be unlocked
with the remote key fob button, so I inserted the key into the door lock to
open the drivers door. Pressing the LOCK/UNLOCK button
on the center console sometimes would not get a response. Even reaching
across to manually open the passenger door would not
work.

After the repair, all seemed well until I tried the spare key that had not
been used by the dealer. It generates no response from
the car when the remote "open" is punched. Nor the trunk.

What the h*ll is going on?

Old February 18th 20, 04:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Ed Presson > wrote:
>The BMW dealer replaced the main module because the locks were
>malfunctioning. Sometimes the car couldn't be unlocked
>with the remote key fob button, so I inserted the key into the door lock to
>open the drivers door. Pressing the LOCK/UNLOCK button
>on the center console sometimes would not get a response. Even reaching
>across to manually open the passenger door would not
>work.
>
>After the repair, all seemed well until I tried the spare key that had not
>been used by the dealer. It generates no response from
>the car when the remote "open" is punched. Nor the trunk.
>
>What the h*ll is going on?

The new locking module hasn't been informed about the second key, so how
should it know to open the car when it sees it? The module needs to be
programmed with the data sequence that the second key sends.

There may be information in the owner's manual about doing this, or maybe not.
--scott