Discovery Channel - Turbo

Old June 6th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Discovery Channel - Turbo

Hello,

I am a producer with the Discovery Channel and I wanted to let you
know about some new features on our Turbo Website, which is about
automobiles, motorcycles, boats and airplanes.

We recently started a new feature at the website which allows visitors
to submit a photo of their automobile or motorcycle to our Daily Ride
blog. Once we put the photo of your vehicle on the site other visitors
can vote on it and once a month the vehicle with the most votes will
be featured on Turbo’s homepage: http://turbo.discovery.com If you
decide to participate you’ll want to let your friends and family
members know so that they will drop by and vote on your ride. To
submit your photo, visit http://blogs.discovery.com/daily_ride.

The other new feature is Amazing cars. The blog is written by auto
expert Roger Hardnock and is about new and exciting cars as well as
classic cars. You can visit Roger’s blog he http://blogs.discovery.com/amazing_cars.

You might also find some of the other features on the site
interesting, as there is a lot of video, games and a variety of other
interactive content that you can explore, including some cool
wallpaper for your desktop. Check it out: http://turbo.discovery.com

Feedback is always welcomed, so if you have any suggestions for future
content you would like to see on the site please feel free to contact
us at .

Thank you.

Regards,

Team Turbo at Discovery
Old June 6th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why are you
calling it "turbo"?

Old June 6th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Jun 6, 10:16*am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota >
wrote:
> Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why are you
> calling it "turbo"?

OT: how about bumper stickers that come with a turbo installation kit,
that say "I just got blown"?
Old June 6th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

wrote:

I am a producer with the Discovery Channel and I wanted to let
you know about some new features on our Turbo Website, which
is about automobiles, motorcycles, boats and airplanes........

We recently started a new feature at the website which allows
visitors to submit a photo of their automobile or motorcycle to our
Daily Ride blog ......

You might also find some other interesting features on the site,

"Don Stauffer" wrote:

Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why
are you calling it "turbo"?

It's TurboSPAM. They don't care about your car pictures.
They have plenty of car pictures. They want to get you
to go to their website to see their extensive advertising.

Rodan.

Old June 7th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 6, 1:15 pm, "Rodan" > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> I am a producer with the Discovery Channel and I wanted to let
> you know about some new features on our Turbo Website, which
> is about automobiles, motorcycles, boats and airplanes........
>
> We recently started a new feature at the website which allows
> visitors to submit a photo of their automobile or motorcycle to our
> Daily Ride blog ......
>
> You might also find some other interesting features on the site,
> a lot of video, games and a variety of other interactive content
> you can explore, including some cool wallpaper for your desktop ...
> __________________________________________________ ____
>
> "Don Stauffer" wrote:
>
> Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why
> are you calling it "turbo"?
> __________________________________________________ ____
>
> It's TurboSPAM. They don't care about your car pictures.
> They have plenty of car pictures. They want to get you
> to go to their website to see their extensive advertising.
>
> Rodan.

Yeah, I was just pinging him a bit.

I suspect he doesn't even know what turbo means. Some advertising
flack.
Old June 8th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 7, 11:00 am, Dyno > wrote:
> Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
>
> > On Jun 6, 1:15 pm, "Rodan" > wrote:
> >> wrote:

> >> I am a producer with the Discovery Channel and I wanted to let
> >> you know about some new features on our Turbo Website, which
> >> is about automobiles, motorcycles, boats and airplanes........

> >> We recently started a new feature at the website which allows
> >> visitors to submit a photo of their automobile or motorcycle to our
> >> Daily Ride blog ......

> >> You might also find some other interesting features on the site,
> >> a lot of video, games and a variety of other interactive content
> >> you can explore, including some cool wallpaper for your desktop ...
> >> __________________________________________________ ____

> >> "Don Stauffer" wrote:

> >> Do you only want pictures of turbocharged cars? If not, why
> >> are you calling it "turbo"?
> >> __________________________________________________ ____

> >> It's TurboSPAM. They don't care about your car pictures.
> >> They have plenty of car pictures. They want to get you
> >> to go to their website to see their extensive advertising.

> >> Rodan.

> > Yeah, I was just pinging him a bit.

> > I suspect he doesn't even know what turbo means. Some advertising
> > flack.

> My first impression of Discovery Channels use of turbo to emphasize
> their automotive shows was somewhat negative similar to the tone of the
> replies so far.
>
> But, let's face it, the use of the turbo term (like it or not) has moved
> from the technical realm to the advertising "nonsense" realm. Razors,
> aftershave and other products that obviously have nothing to do with
> supercharging engines feel free to usurp the term. It has almost become
> a generic term for "high-performance" the way Kleenex is the generic
> term for tissues.

It is also being used in relationship to "jet" engines, from gas
turbine and turbojet. I know some folks who believe a turbocharged car
engine is related to a jet engine :-). Even heard a local news
reporter refer to a turbocharged car as a jet powered car.

For that matter, in a publication I received from a popular guy's
magazine about popular science, they were explaining the term
turbocharger and indicated it was DIFFERENT than a supercharger. To
me the term has always meant a TYPE of supercharger. General class-
supercharger, sub-class (gas turbine driven). In fact, at first the
term was turbosupercharged, which has been shortened lately to just
turbocharged.