Driving study: Teens ape parents behind the wheel

Old October 26th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default Driving study: Teens ape parents behind the wheel

Driving study
Teens ape parents behind the wheel
Kids picking up on drivers' bad habits
Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:37 AM
By Tim Doulin | THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH http://tinyurl.com/2r8rds

Lisa Cozart considers herself a good driver but acknowledges that she
has some flaws.

Sometimes she speeds when she is in a rush to get where she is going.

A study found that teens are influenced -- good and bad -- by the
driving behavior of their parents. But Cozart thinks her 17-year-old
son, Michael, will do well on the road.

"He is real cautious and pays attention to his surroundings when he
drives," said Cozart, of the South Side, as she waited for Michael to
return from his driver's license exam at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
on Alum Creek Drive.

About 82 percent of 10- to 18-year-olds pay attention to their
parents' driving at least half the time they are in the car, according
to a national survey by Nationwide Insurance.

More than 2,200 children between 10 and 18 years old and parents who
were licensed drivers and had children in that age range were
interviewed for the survey in July.

About 85 percent of parents said they drive safely, but about 80
percent of the children said they observe their parents routinely
driving above the speed limit.

Parents often think that any bad driving habits displayed by their
teen come from the teen's friends, said Trish Johnson, a former race-
car driver and driving instructor.

Not the case, she said.

"If you ask a teen where they saw that, 80 percent of the time it is
parents," said Johnson, vice president of education at Top Driver
Inc., a driver-education school based in Northbrook, Ill., that has 12
centers in central Ohio.

Besides traditional bad habits such as speeding and tailgating, there
are a host of new ones under the driver-distraction category that
include use of iPods, global-positioning systems and cell phones.

About half the children surveyed said they had observed their parents
"multitasking" while driving.

Parents have confided that they didn't think their bad driving habits
were a big deal until they got into a car driven by one of their kids,
Johnson said. "They were terrified. But by then, it was too late."

Ohio law requires that a person with a temporary permit complete 24
hours of classroom instruction and eight hours driving with a
certified instructor. They also are required to have 50 hours of
behind-the-wheel training with a parent or guardian in the vehicle,
including 10 hours at night, before getting a driver's license.

The Ohio Department of Public Safety issues a brochure for parents to
help them with the training.

"Remember, as you are teaching your teen, do as you say," said Julie
Ehrhart, a spokeswoman for the department. "If you tell a teen to
buckle up, you better buckle up."

Since 1997, parents or guardians of Texas teenagers have been allowed
to provide state-mandated driver training required to acquire a
license.

A study by the Texas Transportation Institute released this year found
that parent-taught drivers in Texas are about three times more likely
to be involved in a fatal crash than are young drivers taught by
commercial or public-school driving programs.

"From our data, it appears at least in many cases, when the parent is
the only source of driving information and driving skill, that is when
there appears to be some problem," said Val Pezoldt, a researcher at
the institute's Center for Transportation Safety.

"If the parents are very good drivers and very conscientious, that
influences their kids. It influenced them equally, however, if they
are bad drivers," he said.

Several things have changed in the years since many parents were first
licensed to drive, from the laws to the number of vehicles on the
road, Pezoldt said. "Even how to hold the steering wheel is taught
differently now from when I was taught to drive. Parents don't know
that, but they don't get in trouble because they have years and years
of experience."

Sarah Lamar, a 17-year-old senior at Bexley High School, thinks her
parents have been a positive influence on her driving.

"My dad was like, 'You have to do your 50 hours of training,' " said
Lamar, just after getting her license last week. "A lot of parents,
they are like, 'You did 20 hours, you look like you can drive. I'll
sign up on that.' "
-----

- gpsman

Old October 26th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

>>About 85 percent of parents said they drive safely, but about 80
percent of the children said they observe their parents routinely
driving above the speed limit.

The reason we have so many ****ty drivers is because of propaganda
like this, assuming that driving above an arbitrary speed limit isn't
safe.

Old October 26th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Oct 26, 8:25 am, gpsman > wrote:
> Driving study
> Teens ape parents behind the wheel
> Kids picking up on drivers' bad habits
> Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:37 AM
> By Tim Doulin | THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH http://tinyurl.com/2r8rds

<snip>

> A study found that teens are influenced -- good and bad -- by the
> driving behavior of their parents.

<snip>

Not exactly news. This is what happens when you have only cursory
driver's education - new drivers spend far more time in the car with
their parents than they do in a car or classroom with an instructor,
and tests are so lax that they don't catch bad habits (and of course
it's easy to concentrate and be on your best behavior for the 5
minutes or so that you're in the car with the officer administering
the test.) The good drivers are the ones whose parents were good
drivers, and the poor drivers don't get weeded out or properly
educated.

nate

Old October 26th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Oct 26, 8:41 am, Larry Bud > wrote:
> >>About 85 percent of parents said they drive safely, but about 80

> percent of the children said they observe their parents routinely
> driving above the speed limit.
>
> The reason we have so many ****ty drivers is because of propaganda
> like this, assuming that driving above an arbitrary speed limit isn't
> safe.

Yup. The 80 percent number seems low to me, although perhaps a
different area was surveyed.

nate

Old October 26th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Oct 26, 8:41 am, Larry Bud > wrote:
> >>About 85 percent of parents said they drive safely, but about 80

> percent of the children said they observe their parents routinely
> driving above the speed limit.
>
> The reason we have so many ****ty drivers is because of propaganda
> like this, assuming that driving above an arbitrary speed limit isn't
> safe.

I think one reason we have so many ****ty drivers is due to the common
but false belief that driving at any velocity is anything more than
"relatively safe". IIRC, there were 6,000,000+ crashes in 2005, about
44,000 of them resulted in a fatality.

It certainly appears that driving is, statistically, kinda dangerous:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds_dying.jpg

Sure, it's "pretty safe", until and unless you crash. I don't think
suggesting to children that they will not crash would be anything less
than monumentally stupid.

"Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens,
accounting for 36% of all deaths in this age group (CDC 2006)."
http://0-www.cdc.gov.mill1.sjlibrary...ts/teenmvh.htm

" Bowie and Waltz (1994), in an analysis of tow-away crashes reported
in the National Accident Sampling System over a 7-year period, found
that the chance of being injured in a crash depended on the change in
speed at impact (delta V) . As shown in table 1, the risk of a
moderate or more serious injury was less than 5 percent when delta V
was less than 10 mi/h (16 km/h) and increased to more than 50 percent
when delta V exceeds 30 mi/h (48 km/h)."

"Joksch (1993) found that the risk of a car driver being killed in a
crash increased with the change in speed to the fourth power as shown
in figure 5. The risk of a fatality begins to rise when the change in
speed at moment of impact exceeds 30 mi/h (48 km/h) and is more than
50 percent likely to be fatal when the change exceeds 60 mi/h (96 km/
h). The probability of death from an impact speed of 50 mi/h (80 km/h)
is 15 times the probability of death from an impact speed of 25 mi/h
(40 km/h)."
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/tfhrc/safety...speedincidence
-----

- gpsman

Old October 26th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Oct 26, 7:57 am, N8N > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 8:25 am, gpsman > wrote:
>
> > Driving study
> > Teens ape parents behind the wheel
> > Kids picking up on drivers' bad habits
> > Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:37 AM
> > By Tim Doulin | THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH http://tinyurl.com/2r8rds

> <snip>
>
> > A study found that teens are influenced -- good and bad -- by the
> > driving behavior of their parents.

> <snip>
>
> Not exactly news. This is what happens when you have only cursory
> driver's education - new drivers spend far more time in the car with
> their parents than they do in a car or classroom with an instructor,
> and tests are so lax that they don't catch bad habits (and of course
> it's easy to concentrate and be on your best behavior for the 5
> minutes or so that you're in the car with the officer administering
> the test.) The good drivers are the ones whose parents were good
> drivers, and the poor drivers don't get weeded out or properly
> educated.
>
> nate

All in all, I'd say the study was a waste of someones money.
(Uhhh, Where do I send my application for a grant to see if water is
wet?)

Old October 27th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 26, 1:23 pm, Studemania > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 7:57 am, N8N > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 26, 8:25 am, gpsman > wrote:

> > > Driving study
> > > Teens ape parents behind the wheel
> > > Kids picking up on drivers' bad habits
> > > Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:37 AM
> > > By Tim Doulin | THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH http://tinyurl.com/2r8rds

> > <snip>

> > > A study found that teens are influenced -- good and bad -- by the
> > > driving behavior of their parents.

> > <snip>

> > Not exactly news. This is what happens when you have only cursory
> > driver's education - new drivers spend far more time in the car with
> > their parents than they do in a car or classroom with an instructor,
> > and tests are so lax that they don't catch bad habits (and of course
> > it's easy to concentrate and be on your best behavior for the 5
> > minutes or so that you're in the car with the officer administering
> > the test.) The good drivers are the ones whose parents were good
> > drivers, and the poor drivers don't get weeded out or properly
> > educated.

> > nate

> All in all, I'd say the study was a waste of someones money.
> (Uhhh, Where do I send my application for a grant to see if water is
> wet?)- Hide quoted text -

That is also my opinion. I find it amusing (and sad) that 85% of them
thought they were good drivers. I'll bet that an honest appraisal of
their driving would put it closer to 20% if that.

Harry K

Old October 28th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Oct 26, 6:44 pm, Harry K > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 1:23 pm, Studemania > wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > <snip>

> > > Not exactly news. This is what happens when you have only cursory
> > > driver's education - new drivers spend far more time in the car with
> > > their parents than they do in a car or classroom with an instructor,
> > > and tests are so lax that they don't catch bad habits (and of course
> > > it's easy to concentrate and be on your best behavior for the 5
> > > minutes or so that you're in the car with the officer administering
> > > the test.) The good drivers are the ones whose parents were good
> > > drivers, and the poor drivers don't get weeded out or properly
> > > educated.

> > > nate

> > All in all, I'd say the study was a waste of someones money.
> > (Uhhh, Where do I send my application for a grant to see if water is
> > wet?)- Hide quoted text -

> That is also my opinion. I find it amusing (and sad) that 85% of them
> thought they were good drivers. I'll bet that an honest appraisal of
> their driving would put it closer to 20% if that.
>
> Harry K- Hide quoted text -

For years I considered myself a fair driver, but well about average.
Then I moved to GB, where I was a fair driver, but well below
average.

(You have to know how to driver to get a licence.)

Old October 28th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 27, 4:36 pm, Studemania > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 6:44 pm, Harry K > wrote:

> > > All in all, I'd say the study was a waste of someones money.
> > > (Uhhh, Where do I send my application for a grant to see if water is
> > > wet?)- Hide quoted text -

> > That is also my opinion. I find it amusing (and sad) that 85% of them
> > thought they were good drivers. I'll bet that an honest appraisal of
> > their driving would put it closer to 20% if that.

> > Harry K- Hide quoted text -

> For years I considered myself a fair driver, but well about average.
> Then I moved to GB, where I was a fair driver, but well below
> average.
>
> (You have to know how to driver to get a licence.)- Hide quoted text -

I am with you in the 'fair driver, well above average' but looking at
what passes for 'average' here, that isn't saying much.

Harry K