Jeep Cherokee ('93) Emergency Brake Lever

Old April 21st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Jeep Cherokee ('93) Emergency Brake Lever

This evening the release button and the spring underneath it popped off
the end of the emergency brake lever. Problem is, it popped off as I
was setting the brake. Now, I don't have a way to release the brake!

The brake is set and I am more-or-less stuck. Fortunately, it happened
at the top of the driveway. My question: is there a way to release the
emergency brake without using the brake lever? As I look into the space
where the button should be located, I see a metal rod, but it is flush
inside the housing where the button used to be located. I did try
pressing the rod with the tip of a screwdriver, but it does not move.

Old April 21st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On 20 Apr 2006 18:45:28 -0700, "flydog" >
wrote:

>This evening the release button and the spring underneath it popped off
>the end of the emergency brake lever. Problem is, it popped off as I
>was setting the brake. Now, I don't have a way to release the brake!
>
>The brake is set and I am more-or-less stuck. Fortunately, it happened
>at the top of the driveway. My question: is there a way to release the
>emergency brake without using the brake lever? As I look into the space
>where the button should be located, I see a metal rod, but it is flush
>inside the housing where the button used to be located. I did try
>pressing the rod with the tip of a screwdriver, but it does not move.
>
>Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Uh, tried a long screwdriver? That's my first guess.

If not perhaps disconnect the cable(s)?
Old April 21st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Been there. Tried but the rod would not budge. I was able to relieve
the tension on the brake cables by backing off a nut associated with
the coupling under the car. It took a bit of time but at least now the
car is drivable. Interestingly, the rod is still unmovable. Next
challenge is to replace the lever.