79 veeDub problem

Old December 26th 05, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 79 veeDub problem

Hi There,

my 79 convertible vw is spitting out oil in the engine compartment. plz,
can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Old December 26th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

veeDub wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> my 79 convertible vw is spitting out oil in the engine compartment. plz,
> can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Ummmmmmmm. Precisely where does it come from??
Pulley? Oil filler? Fan shroud?

Clean the area thoroughly, then look for origin.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 27th 05, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

not sure where it is coming from... it spews out mostly on the left side
away from the dipStick and where i put the out in it. someone said it may
be a faulty oil pressure cooler then another person said it may be the 2
seals near the oil pressure cooler.

i'm not very knowledgeable.

lmk, thanks.

Old December 27th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

It sound like the seals between the cooler and the case. I had this
happen to me a couple of years ago.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old December 27th 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

veeDub wrote:

> not sure where it is coming from... it spews out mostly on the left side
> away from the dipStick and where i put the out in it. someone said it may
> be a faulty oil pressure cooler then another person said it may be the 2
> seals near the oil pressure cooler.
>
> i'm not very knowledgeable.
>
> lmk, thanks.

The oil cooler is located *inside* the big black fan shroud.
Fixing a leak in there will require taking the whole engine out or,
at the very least, removing a lot of the FI equipment in order to
raise the fan shroud. Not for the faint of heart.

Even if you don't plan to work on the car yourself, you may want
to get familiar with the innards. Get a copy of the Bentley Official
manual for Beetles '70 thru '79. Covers all the mechanical equipment,
engine and the FI.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 28th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Oil sending unit the same on FI engines????..........I've haqd a
number of failures on those things. Oil sending unit is a cheap and
easy repair......if that's where it's from.

>not sure where it is coming from... it spews out mostly on the left side
>away from the dipStick and where i put the out in it. someone said it may
>be a faulty oil pressure cooler then another person said it may be the 2
>seals near the oil pressure cooler.
>
>i'm not very knowledgeable.
>
>lmk, thanks.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizzical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old December 30th 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 79 veeDub problem --Thanks!!

Greetings...

found the problem... the oil cooler had to be replaced. removed the rear
hood, cooing schroud to replace it.

now there is no compression on cylinder #3. don't know how that happened.
it was a smooth ride before the oil started spewing out.

thanks so much for your suggestions.

loretta

Old January 10th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

veeDub wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> my 79 convertible vw is spitting out oil in the engine compartment. plz,
> can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Wpie off the oil. wipe it off on the left sides, front and back, of
the fan shroud too.
I think it is a leaky or blown oil cooler.
If it is, I would replace the oil cooler and use the best German made
coller seals available.

These books and videos would be useful:

Aircooled.net carries all of these:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/catsear...=BV&p erpage=

Official Service Manual
By Robert Bentley - Editions available for specific years and vehicle
types. These are a MUST if you are working on your car! Excellent
wiring diagrams and illustrations/pictures.

70-79' Beetle and Super Beetle

$39.95
466 pages, and 720 illustrations/diagrams. 27 pages of electrical
wiring diagrams.
Usually Ships: same or next day

Personal note: this book sometimesrecommends the use of special tools
that are no longer available.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hayne's Manuals
Price: $ 19.95

These manuals are best used together WITH the corresponding Bentley
Manual. Lots of photographs make these especially useful.

54-79' Beetle and Ghia

Over 350 pages, 671 illustrations/diagrams
Usually Ships: same or next day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive
Price: $ 26.95

By John Muir - A decent book, written in layman's terms. Very popular.

PLEASE NOTE: some of the information (I.e. on oil, choke, etc) is VERY
dated, and we don't agree with the author's opinions. This book is NOT
a substitute for a Bentley shop manual, but it is very good at
explaining things in a way the novice can understand.

Some of the 'Bug Me' videos may be useful to you:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/catsear...=BV&p erpage=

Bug Me Video (How-to DVD series), Volume 1 General Maintenance
Part #: BVV0001

Price: $ 29.95

Bug Me Video (How-to DVD series), Volume 3 Complete Engine Rebuild
Price: $ 39.95
Rick Higgins (a real VW mechanic) guides you step-by-step through a
complete engine tear down, inspection, clean up, and engine assembly.
Running time: 2 hours 38 min.

Personal note: this does not cover fuel injection. But this video and
a good manual is probably all you need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You might also check at cip1.com .

Old January 10th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Sometimes oil will leak at the fan v-belt pulley end and on the
opposite side where the flywheel main seal if located.
If it is just a small leak at the main seal do not be to concerned
about. Nearly all of them leak there.

Old January 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> my 79 convertible vw is spitting out oil in the engine compartment. plz,
> can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Before you go nutz with fixes, check the oil level. Is it by chance
overfilled?