Magnum EFI to carb conversion

Old November 25th 05, 06:42 AM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Magnum EFI to carb conversion

Let's say hypothetically I have a Magnum 318 Dodge truck with a dead
ECM and I want to get rid of the ECM entirely. I know there is a carb
manifold available, will a standard electronic or points distributor
fit these engines? Or is there an aftermarket one that does and
provides conventional triggering and advance mechanisms?

If it has an automatic, does its box need the data from the ECM and if
it does, can it be rewired to use other inputs or a
non-electronic-engine box?

Old November 25th 05, 10:18 AM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Bret Ludwig" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Let's say hypothetically I have a Magnum 318 Dodge truck with a dead
> ECM and I want to get rid of the ECM entirely. I know there is a carb
> manifold available, will a standard electronic or points distributor
> fit these engines? Or is there an aftermarket one that does and
> provides conventional triggering and advance mechanisms?
>
> If it has an automatic, does its box need the data from the ECM and if
> it does, can it be rewired to use other inputs or a
> non-electronic-engine box?

Year of truck, please?

Ted

Old November 26th 05, 09:01 PM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

you will spend more money and time to convert than buying a new pcm

Old November 27th 05, 01:35 AM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Email David and see if he repairs this model. I had ECM for my Geo
Tracker repaired by him, Great service.
david ruberg >
Stan

Old November 28th 05, 02:38 PM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I've driven both, and it seems to me that the ECM yields more power,
smoother warm-ups etc. If it was lean-burn, I'd say go for it. But not the
ECM.

:

--

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old November 28th 05, 05:52 PM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Bret Ludwig wrote:

> Let's say hypothetically I have a Magnum 318 Dodge truck with a dead
> ECM and I want to get rid of the ECM entirely. I know there is a carb
> manifold available, will a standard electronic or points distributor
> fit these engines? Or is there an aftermarket one that does and
> provides conventional triggering and advance mechanisms?

As far as I know, a circa 1973 full-function (trigger, mech. advance,
and vacuum advance) distributor for a 318 will fit in the engine and cna
fire a standard circa 1973 Mopar ignition module (or GM HEI module since
we're in the custom realm anyway ;-)) The big question that I do not
know for certain is whether or not there's room back there for the
vacuum advance on the side of the distributor to swing around to allow
you to set the timing- that's more vehicle-dependent than engine
dependent, since the carb-type manifold WILL have clearance for the
distribuor.

> If it has an automatic, does its box need the data from the ECM and if
> it does, can it be rewired to use other inputs or a
> non-electronic-engine box?

That depends on the year of the truck. From the start of the Mangnums
until about 1996, the transmission only used electronic controls for two
things: 1) locking the convertor, and 2) engaging overdrive. Those
signals came from the PCM, but a lot of guys that put these trannies in
old muscle cars just used toggle switches, and there is a little "black
box" available to do it automatically without a full PCM. The rub is
that starting around 1996, Chrysler got rid of the hydraulic governor in
that transmission, and used a tonewheel type outputs speed sensor that
generated a signal fed to the PCM. The PCM in turn combined this with
other inputs and sent a signal back to an actuator in a modified version
of the valve body and thus was involved in ALL the shift-points and
shift-rates. That's a much harder system to duplicate than the earlier
trnamission that still retained a full hydrualic governor.
Old November 28th 05, 06:30 PM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Tom, Bret's a moron and a troll. He's made that abundantly clear in
rec.autos.makers.chrysler, babbling ignorantly about all kinds of stuff he
clearly doesn't understand.

http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old November 28th 05, 07:26 PM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I converted a 88 dodge Carburetored truck and the original wiring was
left hooked up and taped over to run the electronic lock up and such
and new was wired in as per instructions! Yes as far as I know all you
need is a intake and carburetor and the electronic conversion kit.

What year is it and what body style Dakota or ram?
Barry A. Lee

Old December 1st 05, 03:44 AM posted to alt.hi-po.mopars,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> Tom, Bret's a moron and a troll. He's made that abundantly clear in
> rec.autos.makers.chrysler, babbling ignorantly about all kinds of stuff he
> clearly doesn't understand.

You're a real ****-penis these days, Stern.

I asked the question, "hypothetically" because I wanted to know if it
could be done, just out of curiosity, not with any specific year in
mind or whether it was all that great an idea.

You bust my balls on every little thing, just to obscure the big
picture, on which I am pretty knowledgeable compared to most people.

Suzuki SJ10 carb conversion [email protected] 4x4 6 November 16th 05 09:45 AM
1980 LeBaron Carb nirodac Chrysler 5 November 5th 05 09:00 AM
FS: 2 yr. old. EDELBROCK EPS800 Carb incl.extra jets/rods/springs,etc. dave Corvette 3 June 27th 05 10:23 PM
2.6 Mitsubishi Carb to Trade CaravanGuy Chrysler 1 May 7th 05 11:31 AM
Dodge Magnum, seen one? GRL Dodge 3 April 14th 04 04:06 PM