LGX engine power output query

Old April 12th 18, 08:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default LGX engine power output query

This new motor is specced at 250 kW when mounted north-south in a Cadillac.
But when mounted east west, it is only 231 kW in Buick or 235 kW in Opel.
So what is the difference? Does the transverse installation cramp the exhaust
and air intake, or did Cadillac just get a hot engine map?
Old April 12th 18, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
> wrote:
>This new motor is specced at 250 kW when mounted north-south in a Cadillac.
>But when mounted east west, it is only 231 kW in Buick or 235 kW in Opel.
>So what is the difference? Does the transverse installation cramp the exhaust
>and air intake, or did Cadillac just get a hot engine map?

Let me guess, one car is sold in Europe and one is sold in the US and they
have two methods for measuring BHP?
--scott
Old April 12th 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Heron[_2_]

On 4/12/2018 8:06 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>> This new motor is specced at 250 kW when mounted north-south in a Cadillac.
>> But when mounted east west, it is only 231 kW in Buick or 235 kW in Opel.
>> So what is the difference? Does the transverse installation cramp the exhaust
>> and air intake, or did Cadillac just get a hot engine map?

> Let me guess, one car is sold in Europe and one is sold in the US and they
> have two methods for measuring BHP?
> --scott

Recalls the days when a 396 in a '65 Vette was rated
at 425 hp, exact same engine in a '66 Chevelle was
rated at 375 hp. I'm sure there are many more examples.
Old April 12th 18, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 9:06:47 PM UTC+8, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Let me guess, one car is sold in Europe and one is sold in the US and they
> have two methods for measuring BHP?

Nein,
in the XT5, the engine also scores less power when flipped around.
Old April 12th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 9:06:47 PM UTC+8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> Let me guess, one car is sold in Europe and one is sold in the US and they
>> have two methods for measuring BHP?

>in the XT5, the engine also scores less power when flipped around.

Is that because the engine is capable of providing N horsepower but the
transaxle is only rated less than that?
--scott
Old April 13th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 3:27:23 PM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
> >On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 9:06:47 PM UTC+8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> >>
> >> Let me guess, one car is sold in Europe and one is sold in the US and they
> >> have two methods for measuring BHP?

> >in the XT5, the engine also scores less power when flipped around.

> Is that because the engine is capable of providing N horsepower but the
> transaxle is only rated less than that?
> --scott

Or that the transverse has to have a crossover pipe... maybe resulting in a less efficient exhaust system?
Old April 14th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 6:27:23 AM UTC+8, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Is that because the engine is capable of providing N horsepower but the
> transaxle is only rated less than that?
> --scott

Well maybe for the 9T50 gearbox, which can't handle a lot of torque - might
explain them detuning to limit the maximum torque.
But 2018 Lacrosse gets the 9T60 and still has the slightly weaker engine.