Force = Mass x Acceleration

Old February 11th 13, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

Default Force = Mass x Acceleration

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:15:06 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>> No
>>> Not all Vets, but there's enough of 'em
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmeTLcW2TIM

>> Have a club member with a 2011 ZR-1. He is quite wealthy but was smart
>> enough to buy one that was 2 years old at the time.
>>
>> I can just see this car getting into trouble, romping on it in a turn.
>>
>> Would the Stability Control prevent these overcorrections and spins?
>>
>> Vito
>>

>I was forced off the road at speed 2 nights ago by a pair of semis head on,
>onto a muddy ditch bank and started sliding to my right. Correction didn't
>work, had to go through the shallow ditch and was able to stay off the
>fence. There was the cross road just ahead of me and I was on it before I
>could react much, just able to brake while on the asphalt and stop before I
>slid on by. ****ed off and covered in mud I got back on the road but had to
>stop shortly after that to get control of my shaking.
>
>To answer your question if the active handling did anything I didn't know it
>and I don't remember seeing any lights come on but I do remember the chatter
>of the ABS. Also can't say the ABS was the AH working or if it was because
>of my hard braking to stop on the side road, just happened to fast. Most
>likely it only took 20 seconds for the entire event but much longer for my
>heart rate to become normal again.

Funny how so much information sticks with us after such adventures. I
had a roll over (not in a Vette) a year ago, broke my neck in two
places. I can still see and feel those few thrilling seconds.
Destroyed two good trucks..............
Old February 12th 13, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Glad both you guys are OK. I had a close call in my 69 about 1994.
Romped on it on a freeway on ramp and car began to go tail out. Not a skid
but as if the rear suspension had shifted. Car went tail end first across
the freeway then stopped. All cars on the freeway stopped except one
driven by a kid. She hit me at 60 mph on the left rear quarterpanel and
spun me around almost 360 deg. I was fine and she was fine and no one was
hurt. In the body shop they found that the rear suspension in the center
(holding the transverse spring) had only 2 of the 4 bolts. One of the two
bolts had broken allowing the assembly to rotate. This then canted the
rear wheels to the right, in this case.

I looked at the receipts the previous owner had given me. While at
Corvette Mikes, a new rear end was installed. Seems they thought that only
two bolts where 4 were needed was good enough. Lucky no one was killed. I
determined that car was 'hexed' and sold it a few years later. Those 'old'
cars need to be thoroughly checked out before you go traveling at 50+ mph in
them. In fact, while I do not think they should be trailer queens, they
should not be used for daily driving either. They do not have the safety
features that modern cars have and that you may need some day.

Vito

Old February 12th 13, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>> No
>>> Not all Vets, but there's enough of 'em
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmeTLcW2TIM

>> Have a club member with a 2011 ZR-1. He is quite wealthy but was smart
>> enough to buy one that was 2 years old at the time.
>>
>> I can just see this car getting into trouble, romping on it in a turn.
>>
>> Would the Stability Control prevent these overcorrections and spins?
>>
>> Vito
>>

> I was forced off the road at speed 2 nights ago by a pair of semis head
> on, onto a muddy ditch bank and started sliding to my right. Correction
> didn't work, had to go through the shallow ditch and was able to stay off
> the fence. There was the cross road just ahead of me and I was on it
> before I could react much, just able to brake while on the asphalt and
> stop before I slid on by. ****ed off and covered in mud I got back on the
> road but had to stop shortly after that to get control of my shaking.
>
> To answer your question if the active handling did anything I didn't know
> it and I don't remember seeing any lights come on but I do remember the
> chatter of the ABS. Also can't say the ABS was the AH working or if it was
> because of my hard braking to stop on the side road, just happened to
> fast. Most likely it only took 20 seconds for the entire event but much
> longer for my heart rate to become normal again.

Glad you are OK, Dad!

Old February 12th 13, 03:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> Glad both you guys are OK. I had a close call in my 69 about 1994.
> Romped on it on a freeway on ramp and car began to go tail out. Not a
> skid but as if the rear suspension had shifted. Car went tail end first
> across the freeway then stopped. All cars on the freeway stopped except
> one driven by a kid. She hit me at 60 mph on the left rear quarterpanel
> and spun me around almost 360 deg. I was fine and she was fine and no
> one was hurt. In the body shop they found that the rear suspension in
> the center (holding the transverse spring) had only 2 of the 4 bolts.
> One of the two bolts had broken allowing the assembly to rotate. This
> then canted the rear wheels to the right, in this case.
>
> I looked at the receipts the previous owner had given me. While at
> Corvette Mikes, a new rear end was installed. Seems they thought that
> only two bolts where 4 were needed was good enough. Lucky no one was
> killed. I determined that car was 'hexed' and sold it a few years later.
> Those 'old' cars need to be thoroughly checked out before you go traveling
> at 50+ mph in them. In fact, while I do not think they should be trailer
> queens, they should not be used for daily driving either. They do not
> have the safety features that modern cars have and that you may need some
> day.
>
> Vito

If you backed across the freeway did you enter from the left? If you backed
across from the right your right quarter would be exposed to oncoming
traffic.

Those 4 bolts would only retain the spring, if that spring moved it would
only affect the up and down of the wheel not the direction of vehicle
travel. There is also a locating pin in the center of the spring pad that
would have to shear off. The spring would also have to shear the bolts that
tie the spring ends to the trailing arms. Even that would not allow the
wheel location to affect direction of travel with the radius rods holding it
in place. If that spring popped out of it's pad your body would have been
sitting on top of your tires. The only bolts that could have done that would
have been the one that ties the tailing arm to the frame, then you would
have a wildly uncontrollable Corvette.

Take a look at page 8...............
http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...82_Secured.pdf

Old February 12th 13, 04:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>> Glad both you guys are OK. I had a close call in my 69 about 1994.
>> Romped on it on a freeway on ramp and car began to go tail out. Not a
>> skid but as if the rear suspension had shifted. Car went tail end first
>> across the freeway then stopped. All cars on the freeway stopped except
>> one driven by a kid. She hit me at 60 mph on the left rear quarterpanel
>> and spun me around almost 360 deg. I was fine and she was fine and no
>> one was hurt. In the body shop they found that the rear suspension in
>> the center (holding the transverse spring) had only 2 of the 4 bolts. One
>> of the two bolts had broken allowing the assembly to rotate. This then
>> canted the rear wheels to the right, in this case.
>>
>> I looked at the receipts the previous owner had given me. While at
>> Corvette Mikes, a new rear end was installed. Seems they thought that
>> only two bolts where 4 were needed was good enough. Lucky no one was
>> killed. I determined that car was 'hexed' and sold it a few years
>> later. Those 'old' cars need to be thoroughly checked out before you go
>> traveling at 50+ mph in them. In fact, while I do not think they should
>> be trailer queens, they should not be used for daily driving either.
>> They do not have the safety features that modern cars have and that you
>> may need some day.
>>
>> Vito
>>

> If you backed across the freeway did you enter from the left? If you
> backed across from the right your right quarter would be exposed to
> oncoming traffic.
>
> Those 4 bolts would only retain the spring, if that spring moved it would
> only affect the up and down of the wheel not the direction of vehicle
> travel. There is also a locating pin in the center of the spring pad that
> would have to shear off. The spring would also have to shear the bolts
> that tie the spring ends to the trailing arms. Even that would not allow
> the wheel location to affect direction of travel with the radius rods
> holding it in place. If that spring popped out of it's pad your body would
> have been sitting on top of your tires. The only bolts that could have
> done that would have been the one that ties the tailing arm to the frame,
> then you would have a wildly uncontrollable Corvette.
>
> Take a look at page 8...............
> http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...82_Secured.pdf

Thanks for the diagram. I was going from memory. Was the 4 bolts that
hold item 10 on. Only 2 were present and one broke allowing the assembly
to rotate. Uncontrollable was the word.

Old February 12th 13, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"uncle_vito" wrote in message ...

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ken" > wrote in message
>>> No
>>> Not all Vets, but there's enough of 'em
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmeTLcW2TIM

>> Have a club member with a 2011 ZR-1. He is quite wealthy but was smart
>> enough to buy one that was 2 years old at the time.
>>
>> I can just see this car getting into trouble, romping on it in a turn.
>>
>> Would the Stability Control prevent these overcorrections and spins?
>>
>> Vito
>>

> I was forced off the road at speed 2 nights ago by a pair of semis head
> on, onto a muddy ditch bank and started sliding to my right. Correction
> didn't work, had to go through the shallow ditch and was able to stay off
> the fence. There was the cross road just ahead of me and I was on it
> before I could react much, just able to brake while on the asphalt and
> stop before I slid on by. ****ed off and covered in mud I got back on the
> road but had to stop shortly after that to get control of my shaking.
>
> To answer your question if the active handling did anything I didn't know
> it and I don't remember seeing any lights come on but I do remember the
> chatter of the ABS. Also can't say the ABS was the AH working or if it was
> because of my hard braking to stop on the side road, just happened to
> fast. Most likely it only took 20 seconds for the entire event but much
> longer for my heart rate to become normal again.

Glad you are OK, Dad!

I second that. Had some close ones over the years, but nothing like that.
Took quick thinking on Dad's part otherwise it would have been a head-on.

Old February 13th 13, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message

Snip
> I second that. Had some close ones over the years, but nothing like that.
> Took quick thinking on Dad's part otherwise it would have been a head-on.

At my age quick thinking is not what I can rely on, survival mode, turn
right, left, right, left, and hit the brakes. More reflex than anything
else, that was our video games in the '50s. When it snowed we used to go off
the side of the road and see who could slide sideways the furthest and still
get it back on the road. If the snow was just right we could run up the cuts
through the hills until it couldn't pull any more and then try to get back
to the road. Yeah, we had to push each other out once in a while but we
learned something and had fun doing it. I still test the road surface when
it looks to be slippery, braking, acceleration, steering control until the
right seat starts making noise. She's allot of things to me but I wouldn't
ride to the mail box (200 ft) with her in the snow, can even scare hell out
of me on a sunny day.

One thing I do is hit bridges at a point where I can run straight across
them in case they have black ice of anything else that can make it slick.
Two weeks ago we went to a wedding after a cold snap and snow the day
before. You should not believe how many spinouts there were on the exit side
of the bridges.

I try to drive so the other driver gets home alive, that makes my chances to
do the same just that much better.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-firs...c-ro-156717623

Old February 13th 13, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:
> "tww1491" > wrote in message
>>

> Snip
>> I second that. Had some close ones over the years, but nothing like that.
>> Took quick thinking on Dad's part otherwise it would have been a head-on.
>>

> At my age quick thinking is not what I can rely on, survival mode, turn
> right, left, right, left, and hit the brakes. More reflex than anything
> else, that was our video games in the '50s. When it snowed we used to go off
> the side of the road and see who could slide sideways the furthest and still
> get it back on the road. If the snow was just right we could run up the cuts
> through the hills until it couldn't pull any more and then try to get back
> to the road. Yeah, we had to push each other out once in a while but we
> learned something and had fun doing it. I still test the road surface when
> it looks to be slippery, braking, acceleration, steering control until the
> right seat starts making noise. She's allot of things to me but I wouldn't
> ride to the mail box (200 ft) with her in the snow, can even scare hell out
> of me on a sunny day.

Practice does make perfect...and as a result of such I've lost count of
how many accidents I've avoided or steered out of over the years. But
you have to know where the edge actually is in order to stay away from
it...which is a reason I'd like to go to school with my Z06.

> One thing I do is hit bridges at a point where I can run straight across
> them in case they have black ice of anything else that can make it slick.
> Two weeks ago we went to a wedding after a cold snap and snow the day
> before. You should not believe how many spinouts there were on the exit side
> of the bridges.
>
> I try to drive so the other driver gets home alive, that makes my chances to
> do the same just that much better.
>
> http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-firs...c-ro-156717623

Last year I was heading down the 14 to a doctors appointment in heavy
rain in my '87 Vette...moving with the flow of traffic and noting that I
was on the edge of hydroplaning but still had control of the car. I was
in the left lane next to the carpool lane.

Out of the corner of my right eye I saw a driver lose control and
fishtail such that his right rear wheel climbed the canyon wall and his
car flipped over forward, rolled a few times, and began heading across
lanes toward me...all this took place about four car lengths ahead of
me. At which point most of the other drivers began hitting their
brakes, hydroplaning, and turning the mess in to a real multi-car pileup
to the right of, and behind me.

I thought about my own car - that I was on the edge of hydroplaning
myself and that hitting the brakes would only make things worse...and
that I shouldn't cross the yellow line into the carpool lane even though
it was clear for about a half mile in both directions. Then a hubcap
started heading for my windshield, and I put my foot a quarter inch
deeper into the throttle and very non-aggressively steered into the
clear space in the carpool lane and out of danger before I again *eased*
off the throttle...behind me in my rear view I could determine the end
result of a real pile up. Couldn't count how many.

Found out the next day that the guy that flipped ahead of me died in the
wreck.

--
- Rufus
Old February 15th 13, 03:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" wrote in message .. .

"tww1491" > wrote in message

Snip
> I second that. Had some close ones over the years, but nothing like that.
> Took quick thinking on Dad's part otherwise it would have been a head-on.

At my age quick thinking is not what I can rely on, survival mode, turn
right, left, right, left, and hit the brakes. More reflex than anything
else, that was our video games in the '50s. When it snowed we used to go off
the side of the road and see who could slide sideways the furthest and still
get it back on the road. If the snow was just right we could run up the cuts
through the hills until it couldn't pull any more and then try to get back
to the road. Yeah, we had to push each other out once in a while but we
learned something and had fun doing it. I still test the road surface when
it looks to be slippery, braking, acceleration, steering control until the
right seat starts making noise. She's allot of things to me but I wouldn't
ride to the mail box (200 ft) with her in the snow, can even scare hell out
of me on a sunny day.

One thing I do is hit bridges at a point where I can run straight across
them in case they have black ice of anything else that can make it slick.
Two weeks ago we went to a wedding after a cold snap and snow the day
before. You should not believe how many spinouts there were on the exit side
of the bridges.

I try to drive so the other driver gets home alive, that makes my chances to
do the same just that much better.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-firs...c-ro-156717623

Black ice was a real problem in the UK when I was stationed there. Lived in
Ely which is in the Fens with two lane roads that dropped off about 30 ft
into ditches. And the fog -- you could not see the front of your car when
it hit. At the time for me it was a 20 mile drive to RAF Mildenhall where
I worked. Ely sat on what was an island originally with the cathedral
(started in 985 AD) a very prominent landmark.

aqua force hunger pantie teen aqua force hunger pantie teen aqua teenhunger force dumber dolls [email protected] Saturn 0 March 27th 08 12:55 PM
Mass Air [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 December 13th 06 09:33 PM
92 Accord has no power on acceleration / slow acceleration zdrepaul Honda 0 April 21st 05 09:29 PM
Searching in Mass. NoteHead Mazda 11 January 29th 05 04:11 PM
Absolutely Fee 100% Anonyms mass email software to send your mass email without losing your Internet connection. [email protected] VW water cooled 0 January 10th 05 03:22 AM