Manual lock, just a single freaking lock on the driver's side? youmust be kidding me

Old September 22nd 11, 09:11 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default Manual lock, just a single freaking lock on the driver's side? youmust be kidding me

I was (unpleasantly) surprised by the fact that the ONLY mechanical
key is on the driver's door.
No keyhole on the passenger side, nothing on the 5th door of my 2003
A4 avant.
While the latter is expected having no redundancy in mechanical entry
is not
acceptable on what now is a $36k+ car

I have disconnected (both contacts on) the battery when I had skid
plates installed last weekend
(the engine skid plate in front rests on a SINGLE metal attachment
point on the radiator subframe, eesh Ingolstadt, provide decent
provisioning for the skid plate attachments
and/or fix the freaking oil pan with anything thicker and stronger
than paper). Now remote entry
does not work.

The procedure for the key reset provided in the owner's manual does
not work.
I'm ****ed that I have only ONE way to get into the car now with no
backup whatsoever.
What if anything happens to that single driver's side lock when the
temps drop to around 18F??????
Old September 22nd 11, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Sep 22, 11:11*am, AD > wrote:
> I was (unpleasantly) surprised by the fact that the ONLY mechanical
> key is on the driver's door.
> No keyhole on the passenger side, nothing on the 5th door of my 2003
> A4 avant.
> While the latter is expected having no redundancy in mechanical entry
> is not
> acceptable on what now is a $36k+ car
>
> I have disconnected (both contacts on) the battery when I had skid
> plates installed last weekend
> (the engine skid plate in front rests on a SINGLE metal attachment
> point on the radiator subframe, eesh Ingolstadt, provide decent
> provisioning for the skid plate attachments
> and/or fix the freaking oil pan with anything thicker and stronger
> than paper). Now remote entry
> does not work.
>
> The procedure for the key reset provided in the owner's manual does
> not work.

It works in fact now that I've tried again tonight (with
the backup key in the ignition, not that it should've mattered).

still, the question remains why did audi pinch pennies
on the passenger side lock?

I do hope that the driver's side manual unlocking works without
problems
when everything freezes here and the issue of no redundancy
remains a hypothetical one.

> I'm ****ed that I have only ONE way to get into the car now with no
> backup whatsoever.
> What if anything happens to that single driver's side lock when the
> temps drop to around 18F??????

E39 Driver Door lock problem [email protected] BMW 0 May 31st 06 04:49 PM
Passat driver side door lock malfunction with key [email protected] VW water cooled 2 May 27th 06 11:48 PM
99 civic ex coupe lock problem; can't lock the driver side door. [email protected] Honda 1 January 20th 06 09:55 PM
Civic 03 Driver Door Lock jerryf Honda 0 June 29th 05 08:42 PM
remote hood lock / battery lock John Technology 1 May 14th 05 04:36 PM