New A8L

Old May 11th 11, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

Default New A8L

Picked up my new A8L yesterday. Pretty neat car. Not as fast, of
course, as my RS6, but it still has some balls. Rooooooomy. It will
make a good road trip car. Handles surprisingly well, with a very nice
ride.

Dave

Old May 12th 11, 07:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On May 11, 8:00*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> Picked up my new A8L yesterday. *Pretty neat car. *Not as fast, of
> course, as my RS6, but it still has some balls. *Rooooooomy. *It will
> make a good road trip car. *Handles surprisingly well, with a very nice
> ride.

Congrats Dave.
Let me know how many people of L to XL physikye will fit into the
trunk, will you?
I don't expect the 300C grade cavernous trunk, but still.
6 series seems to have a long and moderately wide trunk, looks kind of
short
but I'd rather have that then a high beltline as on Q series with a
short slit of a glass behind:
rearview cameras are not my cup of tea.
Old May 12th 11, 12:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-12 02:10:03 -0400, AD > said:

> On May 11, 8:00*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
>> Picked up my new A8L yesterday. *Pretty neat car. *Not as fast, of
>> course, as my RS6, but it still has some balls. *Rooooooomy. *It will
>> make a good road trip car. *Handles surprisingly well, with a very nice
>> ride.
>>

> Congrats Dave.
> Let me know how many people of L to XL physikye will fit into the
> trunk, will you?
> I don't expect the 300C grade cavernous trunk, but still.
> 6 series seems to have a long and moderately wide trunk, looks kind of
> short
> but I'd rather have that then a high beltline as on Q series with a
> short slit of a glass behind:
> rearview cameras are not my cup of tea.

<smile> I've never bought a car for the size of its trunk. While the
trunk on my RS6 is marginally larger, the A8L's is easier to access.
The back seat area is cavernous. It is a very luxurious car, with
power, looks, handling, and lots of space. Just what an old man needs.
d;o)

Dave

Old May 13th 11, 08:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On May 12, 2:38*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-05-12 02:10:03 -0400, AD > said:
>
> > On May 11, 8:00*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> >> Picked up my new A8L yesterday. *Pretty neat car. *Not as fast, of
> >> course, as my RS6, but it still has some balls. *Rooooooomy. *It will
> >> make a good road trip car. *Handles surprisingly well, with a very nice
> >> ride.

> > Congrats Dave.
> > Let me know how many people of L to XL physikye will fit into the
> > trunk, will you?
> > I don't expect the 300C grade cavernous trunk, but still.
> > 6 series seems to have a long and moderately wide trunk, looks kind of
> > short
> > but I'd rather have that then a high beltline as on Q series with a
> > short slit of a glass behind:
> > rearview cameras are not my cup of tea.

> <smile> *I've never bought *a car for the size of its trunk. *While the

I though that would never be a part of my decision also until lately.

> trunk on my RS6 is marginally larger, the A8L's is easier to access. *
> The back seat area is cavernous. *It is a very luxurious car, with
> power, looks, handling, and lots of space. *Just what an old man needs.
> *d;o)

I live in a city I would not mind one if it comes with a driver and a
garage. ... and a house

Did you give any consideration to 750xi before you got your A8L?
Old May 13th 11, 02:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-13 03:00:16 -0400, AD > said:

> On May 12, 2:38*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:

> ill

> ice

>>> Congrats Dave.
>>> Let me know how many people of L to XL physikye will fit into the
>>> trunk, will you?
>>> I don't expect the 300C grade cavernous trunk, but still.
>>> 6 series seems to have a long and moderately wide trunk, looks kind of
>>> short
>>> but I'd rather have that then a high beltline as on Q series with a
>>> short slit of a glass behind:
>>> rearview cameras are not my cup of tea.

>> <smile> *I've never bought *a car for the size of its trunk. *While

> the
>
> I though that would never be a part of my decision also until lately.
>
>> trunk on my RS6 is marginally larger, the A8L's is easier to access. *
>> The back seat area is cavernous. *It is a very luxurious car, with
>> power, looks, handling, and lots of space. *Just what an old man needs.
>> *d;o)
>>

> I live in a city I would not mind one if it comes with a driver and a
> garage. ... and a house
>
> Did you give any consideration to 750xi before you got your A8L?

No, I did not consider *any* BMW. I did consider the new MB CLS550
(with the 4L 404bhp engine), the S550, and the Panamera 4. Drove the
Porsche and was very impressed with its ride, handling, etc., but when
all is said and done, I am an Audi fan. The A8L will serve my purposes
very well. The first tank of gas gave me 26.5 mpg, some of that stuck
in rush hour traffic in Atlanta. Not too shabby for a car as big and
powerful as the A8L.

I lived in the city once. I moved. Horrible place the city. Nice
place to visit, but....... d;o)

Dave

Old May 14th 11, 12:03 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 13 May 2011, D. LaCourse wrote:

> The first tank of gas gave me 26.5 mpg, some of that stuck in rush hour
> traffic in Atlanta. Not too shabby for a car as big and powerful as the
> A8L.

That is excellent. The fuel economy that Audi is getting these days is
fantastic. I picked up my 2010 A4 in Long Island about 18 months ago and
drove home (250 miles) at a cruise of 80-90 mph and got 33mpg. All praise
be to Audi (and Mike Valentine).

Steve
Old May 16th 11, 09:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On May 13, 4:35*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-05-13 03:00:16 -0400, AD > said:

> > ill

> > ice

> >> <smile> *I've never bought *a car for the size of its trunk. *While

> > *the

> > I though that would never be a part of my decision also until lately.

> >> trunk on my RS6 is marginally larger, the A8L's is easier to access. *
> >> The back seat area is cavernous. *It is a very luxurious car, with
> >> power, looks, handling, and lots of space. *Just what an old man needs.
> >> *d;o)

> > I live in a city I would not mind one if it comes with a driver and a
> > garage. ... and a house

> > Did you give any consideration to 750xi before you got your A8L?

> No, I did not consider *any* BMW. *I did consider the new MB CLS550

I'm curious why a beemer was not on the shopping list
Old May 16th 11, 01:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-16 04:59:16 -0400, AD > said:

> On May 13, 4:35*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:

> of

>>> ill

>>> ice

> ile
>>> *the

>>> I though that would never be a part of my decision also until lately.

> *

> ds.

>>> I live in a city I would not mind one if it comes with a driver and a
>>> garage. ... and a house

>>> Did you give any consideration to 750xi before you got your A8L?

>> No, I did not consider *any* BMW. *I did consider the new MB CLS550

> I'm curious why a beemer was not on the shopping list

I am unimpressed by them. Yes, I know they handle well and the 3L
turbo engine is very sweet, but....... I *was* impressed with the M5 I
drove a few years ago. Plus, I do not like the styling of any of the
BMWs, both inside and out.

This is my sixth Audi. I have been very happy with every one of them.
Why change? d;o)

Dave

Old May 17th 11, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

The seats in this car are fantastic. On my way home from fly fishing
today, I discovered by accident the massage feature on the seats. I
can see where this would be a good thing on a long trip. I knew the
featur was there, but I pooh-poohed it, thinking it is just another
gimmick. Not so.

When I arrived home I experimented with the bolster feature. Pretty
neat where it extends the seat under your knees for more support.

I am going to enjoy this car!

Dave
A8L
RS6

Old May 17th 11, 08:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On May 17, 2:06*am, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> The seats in this car are fantastic. *On my way home from fly fishing
> today, I discovered by accident the massage feature on the seats. *I
> can see where this would be a good thing on a long trip. *I knew the
> featur was there, but I pooh-poohed it, thinking it is just another
> gimmick. *Not so.

Are controls for the massager buried somewhere in the depth of MMI
menus? :^)
You reminded me of my boss a decade ago: the guy hated the manuals
and liked to find how things worked by experimenting with them.

> When I arrived home I experimented with the bolster feature. *Pretty
> neat where it extends the seat under your knees for more support.
>
> I am going to enjoy this car!

Good for you. I take it RS6 is sitting idly getting more and more
jealous.
When I sat in A8 the feeling was that I was more of a inserting
into the seat than planting myself into A6. It was an odd feeling
of being plugged. I mean it in a good sense.

Did you check the insurance rates for other cars on your shortlist?
(I vaguely remember A8 was not the cheapest to ensure in the US a
decade ago
compared to the beemer 7xx, benz S class, etc).