How You Know Your C5 is OLD

Old September 22nd 10, 03:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

Default How You Know Your C5 is OLD

Look at the pump icon on the fuel gage and notice which side the
hose is attached. Mine shows the hose on the right but the
gas cap in on the left in C5. I wonder when GM updated the
icon to show the correct locations of the gas cap?
Old September 22nd 10, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> Look at the pump icon on the fuel gage and notice which side the
> hose is attached. Mine shows the hose on the right but the
> gas cap in on the left in C5. I wonder when GM updated the
> icon to show the correct locations of the gas cap?

Yep, the C6 is the same way, not a true indicator. I got that email
some time back and found it an unreliable bit of trivia. So quit
looking at the hose and look at which side of the gage the pump is on,
just as good. I believe that it is an incorrect interpretation of the
theory that it is the nozzle showing the location of the filler on the
car. It may have nothing to do with the filler location as it would
have to have a hose hanging down like a swinging dick for cars with a
rear center filler. Do they make those any more, not the swinging dick
but the center fill?

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fuel-tank...n-secret.shtml

Old September 23rd 10, 12:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> > Look at the pump icon on the fuel gage and notice which side the
> > hose is attached. Mine shows the hose on the right but the
> > gas cap in on the left in C5. I wonder when GM updated the
> > icon to show the correct locations of the gas cap?

> Yep, the C6 is the same way, not a true indicator. I got that email
> some time back and found it an unreliable bit of trivia. So quit
> looking at the hose and look at which side of the gage the pump is on,
> just as good. I believe that it is an incorrect interpretation of the
> theory that it is the nozzle showing the location of the filler on the
> car. It may have nothing to do with the filler location as it would
> have to have a hose hanging down like a swinging dick for cars with a
> rear center filler. Do they make those any more, not the swinging dick
> but the center fill?
>
> http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fuel-tank...n-secret.shtml

Interesting but most rental cars are correct. The only vehicle I have
seen that is not correct is the Corvette.
Old September 23rd 10, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> > Look at the pump icon on the fuel gage and notice which side the
>> > hose is attached. Mine shows the hose on the right but the
>> > gas cap in on the left in C5. I wonder when GM updated the
>> > icon to show the correct locations of the gas cap?

>> Yep, the C6 is the same way, not a true indicator. I got that email
>> some time back and found it an unreliable bit of trivia. So quit
>> looking at the hose and look at which side of the gage the pump is
>> on,
>> just as good. I believe that it is an incorrect interpretation of
>> the
>> theory that it is the nozzle showing the location of the filler on
>> the
>> car. It may have nothing to do with the filler location as it would
>> have to have a hose hanging down like a swinging dick for cars with
>> rear center filler. Do they make those any more, not the swinging
>> dick
>> but the center fill?
>>
>> http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fuel-tank...n-secret.shtml

> Interesting but most rental cars are correct. The only vehicle I
> have
> seen that is not correct is the Corvette.

Not sure how they can be correct when the attached site says it is not
an indicator as to where the filler is located. Even those that have
an arrow pointing to the filler location have the icon nozzle on the
other side.

Post number 11 picture.
http://forums.finalgear.com/question...ow-come-29075/

Again post number 11 picture.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-c...rong-side.html

The Mustangs have had it in the center until this last model change,
how would you mark that location?

My truck has the nozzle on the right side of the icon and the filler
on the left and I rented one like it before I bought it, rental may
not be a prerequisite for a "correct" icon.

Really don't see how it makes the C5 old for that matter. It all looks
like someone thought it was actually a way to tell where the filler
was on an automobile and it has nothing to do with it in reality, it's
another internet email that is untrue.

Old September 26th 10, 01:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Do they make those any more, not the swinging dick but the center fill?

Last time I looked at my C3 it was still a center fill.

-W