Finding a short

Old July 17th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jamie

Default Finding a short

IS there an easy way to find a short. The battery in my Vette dies on me
every couple of days. Ive started with the things that don't work in the car
IE: Volt meter, (Was shorted to ground) Clock, assorted warning lights
everything I checked other that the volt meter checked good. Then I found
the windshield wiper motor, Or should I say the first 4 layers of skin on my
forearm found it!! Oh it was hot! I figured I had my electrical problem
licked I pulled the plug got a big spark and ohmed through the wiper switch
which was bad. That was Saturday I went to drive her today and it was dead
again. This time the battery was toast from being jumped so many times
Is there an easy way to find a short? The battery does spark pretty good
when connected Thats why I think I still have a problem. Does anyone know
any common problems with the 76 Vette?

I posted this on another site and got some good info
Here is a couple things I found so far
- The courtesy light in the storage area is ALWAYS on
- When I replaced my headlight switch (for a vacuum issue) I noticed a
corner of the plug was melted and black

Is there a relay for the wipers thats still getting power? I never pulled
the fuse, Im going to dig deeper in the morning

Thanks
Jamie

Old July 17th 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Eugene Blanchard

On my 72 Vette, there was a burglar alarm behind the passenger's seat that
would beep a horn near the gas tank. I don't know if the 76 still had one
but it may be a place to look.

You may have a bad battery that won't hold a charge or maybe your alternator
isn't charging?

You can measure the current from the positive battery lead when everything
is shut off then start pulling the fuses one by one. When the right fuse is
pulled, the current should drop to nothing.

--
Eugene Blanchard
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas
Old July 17th 07, 02:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jamie

Yeah the battery was toast I got a new one yesterday. I got home from work
this morning and the car fired right up I think I got the MAJOR draw with
the wipers and the courtesy light Ill keep an eyeball on it. I am going to
test the alternator today Some one mentioned Diodes in the ALT could be bad.
I crawled way up into the dash this morning Some one went to town with a
Pair of dikes Looks like aftermarket wiring though, but there are alot of
bare ends. So ill tape thoes up, connect them or cut them out
We'll see Ill keep ya posted

"Eugene Blanchard" > wrote in message
> On my 72 Vette, there was a burglar alarm behind the passenger's seat that
> would beep a horn near the gas tank. I don't know if the 76 still had one
> but it may be a place to look.
>
> You may have a bad battery that won't hold a charge or maybe your
> alternator
> isn't charging?
>
> You can measure the current from the positive battery lead when everything
> is shut off then start pulling the fuses one by one. When the right fuse
> is
> pulled, the current should drop to nothing.
>

> amie wrote:
>
>> IS there an easy way to find a short. The battery in my Vette dies on me
>> every couple of days. Ive started with the things that don't work in the
>> car IE: Volt meter, (Was shorted to ground) Clock, assorted warning
>> lights
>> everything I checked other that the volt meter checked good. Then I found
>> the windshield wiper motor, Or should I say the first 4 layers of skin on
>> my
>> forearm found it!! Oh it was hot! I figured I had my electrical problem
>> licked I pulled the plug got a big spark and ohmed through the wiper
>> switch which was bad. That was Saturday I went to drive her today and it
>> was dead again. This time the battery was toast from being jumped so many
>> times Is there an easy way to find a short? The battery does spark pretty
>> good when connected Thats why I think I still have a problem. Does anyone
>> know any common problems with the 76 Vette?
>>
>> I posted this on another site and got some good info
>> Here is a couple things I found so far
>> - The courtesy light in the storage area is ALWAYS on
>> - When I replaced my headlight switch (for a vacuum issue) I noticed
>> corner of the plug was melted and black
>>
>> Is there a relay for the wipers thats still getting power? I never
>> pulled
>> the fuse, Im going to dig deeper in the morning
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jamie

> --
> Eugene Blanchard
> http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas
> Home of the DIY Hot Rod Kustom website

Finding a good used bug [email protected][_1_] VW air cooled 6 June 4th 07 08:05 AM
finding a short DruG VW water cooled 5 January 5th 06 06:12 AM
finding a short circuit [email protected] General 2 December 18th 05 12:22 AM
Help finding vehicle Don 4x4 5 October 9th 04 03:51 AM
I need help finding a 67 Firebird. Dexter411 Antique cars 1 July 16th 03 04:11 PM